9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2011 1:55 AM by Flying_Kiwi

DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?

jeffw_00

Hi - I'm running a fully updated, clean (ESET, Spybot, etc.) Win XP Home SP3 system, and recently upgraded from an ASUS motherboard to the DH67CL.  All works great except for one issue.  When the machine is running and I attach and power up an external USB drive, the system hangs to the point that the only fix is the boot button.  Details follow:

- When the drive is powered on, I can see the drive appear in Device Manager, and the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon appears, but the drive does not appear in Windows Explorer.  I can still do some things, but as soon as I do any "windows" thing (Open WIndows Explorer, Disk Management, Start Menu, Task Manager, right-click on the entry in device manager, right-click on the "safely remove hardware" icon, etc) the system hangs. Can't open or close any programs, can't open the Start menu, etc.  The only way to unhang it is to press the boot button.  (Powering the drive back down doesn't help).  So windows is locked in some loop trying to bring up the USB drive on-line.

- If I connect and power up a USB drive before system boot, it works great!  No problem.  I used this path to uninstall it cleanly, hoping it would re-install cleanly, no luck.

- Happens with all External Drives (I tried an ATA drive, and a SATA toaster).

- I was able to find, download, and install the latest Intel Chipset drivers, and latest BIOS. Didn't help.

- Since then I tried uninstalling all the USB and letting the system re-install it.  Didn't help.

- Tried it on Motherboard 2.0 controller, Motherboard 3.0 controller, and PCI-card USB 2.0 controller.  No difference.  Fails the same way in all cases.

- No drive letter conflicts.  No device manager warnings or conflicts. Nothing in the event log.

- Connecting a USB stick, Blackberry, etc., all works fine.

- When it hangs, Task manager says CPU is 99%+ Idle.  I don't see anything trying to do anything.

- I tried both settings for the "Legacy USB" in the BIOS.  It didn't make any difference, and I didn't see any other relevant BIOS settings.

I was so psyched about getting this board, so this is quite depressing.  If anyone has any suggestions about where to look for issues, please let me know.

Thanks!
      /j

• 1. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
          Flying_Kiwi

jeffw_00 wrote:

- If I connect and power up a USB drive before system boot, it works great!  No problem.  I used this path to uninstall it cleanly, hoping it would re-install cleanly, no luck.

- Happens with all External Drives (I tried an ATA drive, and a SATA toaster).

What size drives are these and what partitions are on them (given Win XP Home isn't as flexible regarding large HDDs as say Win 7). You mentioned you 'upgraded' from an Asus motherboard - exactly what did you do regarding the hard drive contents when you swapped motherboards? Was the clean OS install performed after the motherboard swap?

If the external drive you want to use is a suitable size for your OS and is empty, you may need to run the drive manufacturers zero fill utility and then repartition it using Win XP Home. You mentioned you tried a SATA drive (I assume that's meant to be eSATA) - was the drive correctly detected by the motherboards BIOS during post (after the Intel splash screen)?

• 2. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
            jeffw_00

The Drives that I am trying to connect are NTFS drives of 160-250GB in size.  They each have one partition.  They connect to other machines without incident.

To "upgrade" I connected the main (not external) drive to the new motherboard, booted off a WINXP CD, and did a repair install, followed by MOBO driver upgrades and Windows updates.

Yes, I did mean eSATA.  Both drives are correctly detected and operate perfectly if connected and powered up at boot time.  The problem occurs only if I connect/power-on to a running system.

• 3. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
              Flying_Kiwi

So the drive size shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't have thought the partitions would be either (although there are slight differences in NTFS with newer OSs compared to older NTFS). I suspect the issue may be associated with how you migrated your HDD to the new motherboard. I suggest you back up your valuable data and download the latest motherboard drivers to a thumb drive. Obliterate everything off your main HDD (perhaps using the HDD manufacturers zero fill utility) and then install totally fresh. Once you have the OS installed, run Windows Update until no more updates are available and then install the Chipset drivers for your motherboard. Reboot and then install the remaining motherboard drivers: graphics, audio, USB 3 etc.

As tedious as it may be, replacing a motherboard should always mean a full and totally fresh install of the OS follows. Sometimes you'll get away with easier options but this may end up having consequences which only show up under certain specific circumstances - it seems like this may be one of those circumstances.

• 4. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
                jeffw_00

So you're suggesting wiping clean and starting over?  reinstall O/S, reinstall -all- applications, port over data to said applications etc?   Sorry, that's not a solution, it's akin to buying a new car because my current one is making a noise that's not easy to diagnose. 8-}    For what it's worth, I have done this sort of MOBO upgrade, the same way (using XP repair install), over a dozen times on different systems (and on some systems 2-3 times over the years).  I've rarely had -any- issues, and never had any (yet) that weren't fixable.  I appreciate your interest in my topic, but I suspect there's a more reasonable answer out there.

best

/j

• 5. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
                  Flying_Kiwi

jeffw_00 wrote:

So you're suggesting wiping clean and starting over?

You could also try uninstalling all 'relevant' devices from device manager and letting PnP redetect and install drivers again after rebooting but without knowing precisely where the problem lies, it's possible you'll waste more time fiddling around with possibilities/registry entries and driver installations that it would take to perform a relatively simple (although admittedly tedious) fresh installation. If you have a spare blank HDD lying around you could also swap that in and perform a fresh install and test things out there. It may be time wasted on an actual solution but a positive result would at least give 'encouragement' to perform a fresh install.

I've also experienced problems after swapping motherboards and imaging PCs with images meant for other hardware and in my experience biting the bullet and perfoming a fresh install is the least problematic way to go. If you like performing repair installations, you might want to contemplate how does a repair installation know which registry entries are correct for current hardware?

Windows and many applications have built in settings backup and restore features to reduce the amount of configuration work required. You can pop in the installation DVDs and let alot of the work go on while you're doing something else next to the PC. This means although the total time required may be high, alot of the time you can spend doing something else productive. Of course the 'problem situation' should be tested before installing any additional software after the fresh install - that way if it turns out to be a hardware fault, there's no to much time wasted.

It reminds me of the old saying about leading a horse to water, good luck finding an alternative quickly if you choose not to go down the fresh install path - you may need it

• 6. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
                    jeffw_00

"You could also try uninstalling all 'relevant' devices from device manager and letting PnP  redetect and install drivers again after rebooting but without knowing  precisely where the problem lies"

Already tried that - sorry that wasn't clear from my original discussion.

Again, I appreciate your interest in my issue, and I understand your solution is "wipe everything, start over", and I understand that, with the machines you're familiar with, that's a viable solution that's worth the effort even if it doesn't solve the problem (no guarantee that it will).  However, please understand that in my situation, rebuilding the machine would be days of effort, it's not just "re-installing some DVDs".  Repeating your suggestions in different ways doesn't do either of us any good.  I'm happy to leave the thread open to see if anyone knows of a point fix, and hope you will as well.

Thanks

/j

• 7. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
                      Flying_Kiwi

Did you read my suggestion of substituting a spare blank drive in (perhaps an eSATA drive selected in the Boot order) and installing fresh on THAT to ascertain whether a fresh install DOES address the problem? Such a fresh install is quick and easy and at least that way if it does work, you know it's not a hardware (or even driver) fault and you'll have your guarantee that you're seeking. If you wanted to make comparisons (eg between new and old registry entries) you'll also then have a known working setup that you can use windiff.exe with.

Yes the ideal solution is to find someone who has your exact same motherboard (or at least the same family), and Windows XP and a USB external drive and has experienced this problem (and I genuinely wish you good luck eliciting a response from such a person). The odds are stacked very much against you though with nearly all of those points.

1. Most people with such a board will have Windows 7 (or at least Vista) installed
                      2. Such new boards have eSATA ports so users wanting the highest performing external drives will use eSATA drives (although you did say you've tested with such a drive) - either that or they'll use USB 3.0 drives

Of course these aren't black and white cases and there will be some people with that configuration (although whether those people have problems and/or choose to read or post here is a different matter). People with just Win XP and this board  who've used any external drives with success or otherwise, please post your experiences (good or bad) here!

You don't have to worry about leaving this thread open - it will stay that way anyway (and my post will help by keeping it at the top of the current list). My concern is simply that your time waiting is time you could be spending proactively doing something to fix this. If it's been some time since you last performed a fresh install (and many software package installs/uninstalls in between as well), a fresh install will likely result in a much greater performing system as well. Even regular HDD defragmentation and disk cleanouts can't beat the occasional fresh install for that. Please understand my last post was not just repeating my suggestion in a different way, there were new ideas there (as well as in this post) - I can't guarantee (because you seem the sort who wants guarantees) they will be time best spent though.

If your thinking is still no way, I'm not doing a fresh install now or never because I've never needed to in the past, things change over time and what may have worked with older setups may no longer work with newer ones.

• 8. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
                        jeffw_00

Thank to a very sharp person on another forum.  The Problem/Solution can be found here.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=309335

Turns out it had nothing to do with the upgrade, and everything to do with the AV upgrade a few days prior.  So a fresh build would not have made a difference.

Best.

/j

• 9. Re: DH67CL:  Turning on attached external USB drive Hangs XP, help?
                          Flying_Kiwi

I'm glad that you've found your solution by reverting to an earlier version of NOD32. Although the problem itself was not the OS, a fresh install would have worked fine (even on a spare swapped in HDD) proving that something else was causing the problem. Then it'd be a case of progessively installing your software/apps one by one and checking after each install to see if the problem returns (admittedly a tedious process) but you would have narrowed down and eventually found the culprit.

I use that same AV solution and just to show how the problem is quite specific, it's not affected my Win 7 system in any way so as that other thread mentions it seems to only affect Win XP systems. It was a sharp idea to think to look at forums associated with your apps and software (an idea I never thought to try sorry). I guess I got fixated on the idea the problem was caused as a result of the motherboard change rather than a software update that had happened slightly earlier. Had you gone down the path of a fresh install I normally load antivirus software last so certainly spotting that thread saved alot of time.