11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 4:58 AM by Dryne

DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold

Dryne

Here's the latest issue with this RMA'd motherboard that has started about three days ago:

When my desktop is cold (meaning it has not been used for eight hours or so) and I press the power button to power it on, all the case fans start to spin and lights come on.  A few seconds later, it appears to power off by itself.  Even before all fans can stop spinning, it then powers back on by itself.  Seconds later after that, it powers back off by itself.  Moments later, it then powers back on and starts to boot up.

I have never seen this behavior before.  What could possibly be causing this?  This is something new that it was not doing before.

This is an RMA replacement I had received due to my previous DX58SO2 being unstable with the i7 990X CPU.  This is about the fourth issue I have seen with this same motherboard.

Issues so far:

1) Primary Ethernet Port, as labeled in BIOS, fails to function correctly

2) Motherboard has locked up completely in BIOS setup screen on one occasion

3) Motherboard has locked up completely on initial power up

...and now the latest issue:

4) Motherboard self power cycles numerous times prior to boot up when cold

• 1. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
          Dryne

After searching some, I see that many people are experiencing this self-power cycle issue with the DX58SO2 motherboard.  There is a long thread here:  http://communities.intel.com/thread/20887?start=0&tstart=0

There was another thread I found with issues powering up or down this motherboard.  A couple of posts referred to incompatible memory and/or faulty power supply.

Well, I am running six Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4GEC memory modules that the Kingston site states is guaranteed compatible with this motherboard.  These are 1.5V modules.

Also, I am running an Enermax MaxRevo 1350W PSU.  It's a brand new very high quality power supply, so I doubt it's at fault either.

My motherboard runs the latest BIOS.

• 2. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
            mechbob

I use the exact same Ram , a while back I was having problems , I talked to the support people at Kingston , They told me even though the Ram is rated for 1.5 volts ,try running at 1.6 volts and it's been fine ever since , 8GB DDR3-1333-10600.

• 3. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
              Dryne

Thanks for the information.  This is useful.

I received the motherboard replacement today, and I will give this a try.

• 4. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                Dryne

Setting the voltage to 1.6 results in not getting through POST.

Additionally, I received the RMA today and it is now installed.  The RMA is significantly worse than the previous motherboard.  It power cycles more often during reboots and initial power ups.  Additionally, I cannot even flash the BIOS due to receiving a CMOS checksum error.  The only good thing about it is that both ethernet ports on the replacement do work.

The DX58SO2 is a horrible motherboard.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.   I will be ordering a replacement.  Since SuperMicro doesn't have a 600 SATA board, I  will go for Gigabyte. The money I spent for this Intel motherboard is all a loss.  No more Intel motherboards for me.

• 5. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                  Dryne

This is what I see when I attempt to update the BIOS on this RMA failure #3:

The firmware has detected that a CMOS Checksum Error occurred.

Press the Enter key to continue.

This is almost enough to drive a man toward AMD.

• 6. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                    Dryne

So I ordered a new motherboard and memory modules to replace the DX58SO2.  I won't mention what I had ordered (it's not Intel).

Just for kicks, I powered on my desktop containing the RMA replaced DX58SO2.  I had not powered it on for at least two days mostly due to frustration.  In any event, it powered on right away without the power cycling issue I had described.  I then logged into Windows 7.  I deleted the previously downloaded EXE for the BIOS update and downloaded it from the Intel site once again.  I re-executed it.

My desktop then rebooted and to my surprise, the BIOS update executed and I did not receive the checksum error.  My BIOS has now been updated to the latest version.  I really do not know what to make of this.  I chatted with Intel's online support tech days ago who suggested that I perform a BIOS recovery.  I never did this though.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on here?  I sure don't.

I had downloaded and re-downloaded this same EXE several times days ago to see a BIOS checksum error with each and every run.

• 7. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                      mechbob

When you first tried to do the BIOS update ( EXE ) , did you have any antivirous software ON and active >??

• 8. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                        mechbob

If you ever use the (EXE) , It's always a good idea to download it to the desktop ,save it there , go off line and disable all of the security software and I mean all of it , Than run the update, Some security software treets a BIOS update like it's a virous and interfers with the process.

• 9. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                          Dryne

The only anti-virus software I have installed is Microsoft's Security Essentials.  I've had this running with all BIOS updates I've done for this board.  It does not show that the EXE was detected as a virus, and I have no other security software installed.

There is something haywire with this latest RMA Intel shipped.

• 10. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                            mechbob

Well you were lucky because Norton , will stop a BIOS update , I did the test , Tried the update with and without and the Norton stoped the update . Maybe Microsoft's software is not as in depth. as Norton.

• 11. Re: DX58SO2 Does Not Power On Right Away When Cold
                              Dryne

Good news--

My new replacement motherboard arrived days ago.  I have removed the DX58SO2 and installed the new motherboard in its place.  My desktop has all the same components as before except for newer (faster) memory.  I replaced my Kingston 1333 ram with Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 ram.  My desktop is now stable and functions with no issues whatsoever.

The newer motherboard has some really nice features for stability (like dual BIOS chips installed that automatically reverts to the backup chip incase of failure).  As well as power sockets for the PCI express slots for stability.

My desktop now powers on right away without the power cycling issue that the DX58SO2 had.  So, the issue was not my memory, power supply or CPU.  It was a defective motherboard.