6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 1:33 PM by tedk

Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform

smeraji

Hi,

I built RCCE with configure SCC_LINUX and I successfully compiled the pingpong example for scc. When I tried to run PINGPONG example on SCC with the following instruction (I copied rccerun to the PINGPONG folder and the ps.hosts has two cores "00" "01"):

./rccerun -nue 2 -f ps.hosts pingpong

I get following errors:

cp: cannot stat `/home/smeraji/RCCE_v1.1.0/bin/SCC_LINUX/mpb': No such file or directory
      pssh -h PSSH_HOST_FILE.16709 -t -1 -p 2 /home/smeraji/RCCE_v1.1.0/apps/PINGPONG/mpb.16709 < /dev/null
      [1] 14:58:47 [FAILURE] rck01 Exited with error code 127
      [2] 14:58:47 [FAILURE] rck00 Exited with error code 127
      rm: cannot remove `mpb.16709': No such file or directory
      pssh -h PSSH_HOST_FILE.16709 -t -1 -P -p 2 /home/smeraji/RCCE_v1.1.0/apps/PINGPONG/./pingpong 2 0.533 00 01 < /dev/null
      [1] 14:58:47 [FAILURE] rck01 Exited with error code 127
      [2] 14:58:47 [FAILURE] rck00 Exited with error code 127

any ideas?

BTW, I am using marc014

Thanks

Sina

• 1. Re: Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform
          tedk

Sorry, but marc014 is currently in an unstable configuration. It's 1.4.0 with eMAC enabled. This configuration is susceptible to the "vampire core" issue, http://marcbug.scc-dc.com/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=322

The way you can check its configuration is to look at /opt/sccKit/current ... it is a link and see what it is linked to. In your case, this is

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root        5 2011-04-27 11:03 current -> 1.4.0

So you have 1.4.0. Is eMAC enabled? Look at /opt/sccKit/systemSettings.ini. You will see

sccMacEnable=c

Disabling eMAC is more involved than removing the sccMacEnable line. I think you should upgrade to 1.4.1.3. But if you want to stay with 1.4.0, you should disable eMAC. (Or rather we do that for you; it's a root thing.) 1.4.0 with eMAC disabled is almost the same as 1.3.0.

I don't know if the problem you are curently seeing is due to the 1.4.0 instability. It might be, but I think we should resolve that instability before looking at anything else. I will take a quick look at pingpong and marc014 today ... pingpong is such a simple program that it should work even with the 1.4.0 instability.

Why would you want 1.4.0/eMAC disabled in preference to 1.4.1.3? 1.4.1.3 brings in a new Linux. If you are using a custom Linux, you must rebuild that custom Linux in the 1.4.1.x way. And 1.4.1.3 enables eMAC. so the preformance metrics are different between 1.4.0/eMAC disabled and 1.4.1.3.

If anyone else has 1.4.0 with eMAC enabled and sees problems, please let us know.

• 2. Re: Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform
            smeraji

Thanks Ted,

Actually I didn't know about the configuration of marc014, I am pretty new to this community:)

Would you upgrade it to 1.4.1.3 and then I can try to see if I can run PINGPONG.

• 3. Re: Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform
              tedk

Actually I can run pingpong just fine on marc014. Please note that the  pingpong executable must be under /shared.

The ./configure is important because it sets up your personal directory under /shared.

./configure SCC_LINUX
              ./makeall
              cd apps
              cd PINGPONG/
              make pingpong
              cp pingpong /shared/tekubasx/
              cd /shared/tekubasx/

cp /home/tekubasx/sandbox/rcce/hosts/rc.hosts .

rccerun -nue 2 -f rc.hosts pingpong

I opened up the permissions on my /shared/tekubasx on marc014. You can try running the pingpong exe I have there. And ensure that your directory under /shared looks like mine.

About upgrading ... best to file a "Marc Administration Needed" bug for that to start the process. It takes a couple of hours once it gets started, but we'll have to queue it with other work. You should check with your other users to ensure that it is OK to upgrade. We required approval from the PI to go from 1.3.0 to 1.4.x. Note that if you go from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1.x, you will change performance metrics and so wont't be able to relaibly compare with older results. But the system will perform better and be more stable.

• 4. Re: Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform
                smeraji

Thanks it works now. I will file an upgrade request after checking with other users of MArc014 in our group

• 5. Re: Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform
                  smeraji

one more question, Can I use gcc(3.4) or g++ instead of Icc Icpc to compile programs for scc platform?

• 6. Re: Can't run pingpong applcation on scc platform
                    tedk

Yes, this is what we use

tekubasx@marc026:~/bin$ which gcc
                    /opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/gcc
                    tekubasx@marc026:~/bin$ gcc --version
                    gcc (GCC) 3.4.5
                    Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
                    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
                    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

tekubasx@marc026:~/bin$

tekubasx@marc026:~/bin$ which g++
                    /opt/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/g++
                    tekubasx@marc026:~/bin$ g++ --version
                    g++ (GCC) 3.4.5
                    Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
                    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
                    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

tekubasx@marc026:~/bin$