13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 11:15 AM by s shank

DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate

mintcore

Problem:  My newly built DZ68DB based system won't stay alseep nor stay in hibernate.  It wakes up after a few minutes.

System:

• Intel DZ68DB motherboard / BIOS version DBZ6810H.86A.0014.2011.0413.1049
      • Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
      • Intel 320 Series SSD / enabled Smart Response Technology
      • Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS

I read a similar post "DZ68DB won't sleep" which had advice to use the commands...

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

to find out the cause of the last wake and list devices which can wake the system.

For me the wake source was:  Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

But, the solution given in the other post was to turn off Wake-On-LAN (WOL)!  That is just a lame workaround!  I didn't turn it on but I actually want to keep WOL enabled so I can use it later.  That workaround doesn't get at the root of the problem.

• What is waking my system after a few minutes?
        (Want to fix this now rather than find out year from now it was a motherboard or firmware issue)

I have another Windows 7 desktop with WOL enabled on the network and it is not being turned on after a few minutes.

Thanks,

MC

• 1. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
          mintcore

I have some more information since the last post but still have not figured out the problem.  Nothing solved yet.

1. In between the last post I decided to enter my new Windows 7 Pro license key.  I don't think this should affect anything but maybe Windows desires to phone home until it knows it is genuine.  I doubt that though because it doesn't follow that Windows would fake the wake up cause I was seeing ("network connection"), instead I would guess the wake cause would be a timer.  Can Windows set arbitrary timers to wake from hibernate?
          2. Soon after, I turned off my older Windows 7 desktop so that I would be able to better hear the new computer turn on by itself.  And when I did that the DZ68DB computer didn't wake up anymore as far as I noticed (however I left to eat for an hour)!
          3. I was curious seeing no wakeup, so I poked around Windows on the old computer. The only direct link I could think of was the mysterious "Homegroup" feature.  But maybe open "Windows Explorer" listing all machines on the network could be triggering wakeup.  When the DZ68DB computer was hibernated I clicked on its icon in the Network folder and that triggered a wakeup.  I know clicking on the Network icon was not what did the waking up in my original post because I wasn't using that computer.  I don't know anything about how Microsoft handles these things so who knows?
          4. Since I've been typing this on the old Windows machine the new DZ68DB computer has not woke from hibernate.

If anyone still has advice on how to debug this I'd appreciate suggestions.  When I wrote the original post the issue was reproducible.  A dozen times I put the computer to sleep or hibernated and each time it woke up a few minutes later, I'd check last wake cause and it reported "network connection".  But at this moment that is not reproducible.

P.S.  One fun piece of info I discovered now is when I enter in Windows File Explorer...

\\TheNewComputerName

the new computer will wake up.  This is great because it is intentional... what you would want.  So when the machine is in another part of my house I can ask it to wake up, access data, then later it will hibernate again according to my power settings.  Cool!

Thanks,

MC

• 2. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
            rsnelson

Calling the posted solution "lame" isn't very nice.  It solved my problem as I didn't need finer grained functionality.

It is possible to wake a computer up my creating a scheduled task and enabling" Wake the computer to run this task".  You may want to enable the task schedule history and also looking into the event log.

You may also want to disconnect the computer from the LAN prior to sleeping the computer to see if the wake up trigger is external or internal.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
              mintcore

rsnelson,

You're right... it wasn't nice.  I got frustrated that I kept reading post after post elsewhere where the answer was turning off WOL.  I'm going to try your suggestions.  Thanks.

Edit 1:  I found how to "Enable All Tasks History" (Computer => Manage => Task Scheduler).  I'll follow that for a while.

• 4. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                Flying_Kiwi

I look upon turning off a feature such as WOL as a work-around rather than a solution. The problem is that it's often very difficult to work out precisely what is actually causing the LAN activity that results in the PC waking. If you had the time you could re-enable WOL, reinstall the OS from scratch with just it's relevant drivers and then progressively install your apps, testing after each install to make sure the PC stayed asleep. Somewhere in there, one or more apps (or parts of your software) are responsible.

• 5. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                  s shank

I just started noticing the same problem, and I do have a few other computers on the same network, along with the homegroup feature enabled. I am curious to hear how to control this.    

• 6. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                    rseiler

This thread covers what I think is every single possibility:

Re: LAN wakes up computer, no matter what I do

With Intel, disabling WoL in one part of the BIOS isn't enough. You also have to do it in an entirely separate place, if you have it, called Intel ME. See the last post in May from ironcito for details. 

• 7. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                      Shirke

Update the latest BIOS just release 0042

• 8. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                        s shank

Be careful before updating your BIOS -- unless they just released another one, the newest version contains a bug that makes overclocking a problem somehow. On the overclocking threads everyone is advising against updating.    

• 9. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                          yamcenutzer

As I already mentioned in the thread above, I have 5 Intel mobos in my network, all of them wol enabled and running win7. At least 3 of them have the latest NIC driver (17.1).  They never had problems with sleep, they never had problems with WOL. The current Network is running > 3years, the boards are as old as a DG45ID and as new as the otherwise infamous DZ68DB  and an ASUS 77 (replacement for the dz68db)  series also with an Intel NIC.

If your system is waking up from sleep with last_wake pointing to the NIC, then most likely something in your network IS waking it up with a WOL.

I don't use home_network sharing though, my network is a normal 'workplace' network with sharing/discovery enabled.

• 10. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                            rseiler

He's referring to the fixed one, but in either case, a BIOS update is irrelevant to this issue.

• 11. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                              s shank

Where do you find 0042?

• 13. Re: DZ68DB won't stay asleep nor stay in hibernate
                                s shank

On the download page for 0042, it states:

Known issue: Intel has identified an issue with this BIOS version, where the ability to overclock the system is not working after the BIOS update. Intel regrets any inconvenience caused by this issue and is working to provide corrected BIOS version as soon as possible.