5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 10:23 AM by Javed Lodhi

S5000XAL and E5405 won't boot!

I've just put up a new server with S5000XAL as a motherboard with two Xeon E5405 processors in with 2 Noctua DX-12 coolers. The memory installed is KVR667D2D4F5K2/8G, that's two 4GB stick in slots A1 and B1. My case is Antec Server Titan that has an Antec Truepower Trio 650W installed.

When I switch the AC on I get the 5V standby led ok and the status led is blinking between amber and green, until it turns to solid green. When I switch the power on all the fans start spinning and no error leds are on, the status led is staying green but nothing is showing up on the monitor, after approximately a minute the status led turns amber, nothing else happens, no post code leds or processor or memory error leds

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: S5000XAL and E5405 won't boot!
          pcpubay

I am having the same problem, did you find a solution?

• 2. Re: S5000XAL and E5405 won't boot!
            kamalanathan

hi,

Are you sure there is no post code leds lit?

my gutt feeling is it could be a thermal trip.

can you please check the BIOS system event log? ( in BIOS setup traverse to system management field)

• 3. Re: S5000XAL and E5405 won't boot!
              pcpubay

No leds other than the amber staus light, I have tried new RAM and a new PSU same result.

• 4. Re: S5000XAL and E5405 won't boot!
                kamalanathan

hi,

Can you please see the system event log from the BIOS setup.

It will say whether "thermal trip"have occured or not.

and This Thermal trip is may be due to compatiblity issue with the heat sink.

you need to do "processor retest" for this to set right.

• 5. Re: S5000XAL and E5405 won't boot!
                  Javed Lodhi

Hi Uula,

First of all, I checked with THOL (Tested Hardware & OS List) for S5000XAL and I couldn't find KVR667D2D4F5K2 in any capacity, rather the closest one is KVR667D2D4F5. I always advise users to check with the THOL before ordering any part for the machine and in your case, there is a chance that the incompatible RAM could be causing this. I am attaching a THOL for S5000XAL that states the compatible/tested memory list so you can cross check. In other case, any different model can/may work with matching configurations as in ECC, DDR2, Registered, etc but it's always better to get the compatible part.

Secondly, I checked with the support website and a similar issue is listed which I am pasting here for you to see if this works for you.

Fans spin when power button is pressed, but no video display is seen
                  Are there any beeps?

• If the answer is yes, refer to the Technical Product Specification of appropriate server product to see what the beeps mean.
                  • If the answer is no, power off the server and remove all memory then power on again. Are there any beeps?
                    • If the answer is yes, verify the memory you've installed has been tested with your board. To find the tested memory list for your board, go to Tested Memory List.
                    • If the answer is no, verify the processor you've installed has been tested with your board. To find the tested processor list for your board, go to Supported Processor List.

For further information on this and any other possibility, follow the URL below and see if either is your case.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029657.htm

Last but not the least, as Kamalanathan has pointed out, make sure that you also look into the LED pattern and map it against the possible issues.

In case you encounter any problems, let us know so that we can further help you out.

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!