1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2012 8:55 AM by tommy2q

DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>

Michael75

Hi,

Having problems updating my DP67BG BIOS from 2040 to 2053 I have been waiting for a new BIOS update. After updating the BIOS from version 2040 to 2076 system booted twice followed by the message “The system BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s). Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS Performance options or recent hardware changes. Press 'Y' to enter BIOS Setup or press 'N' to cancel and attempt to boot with previous settings."

Doing a little troubleshooting I found that setting the Overclocking Assistant to <Automatic> under Performance, caused my system to fail booting. Setting the Overclocking Assistant to <Manual> with the same values as from the OC set to Automatic, the system booted just fine.

Is this another broken BIOS update?

My system config:

DP67BG Rev. B3
      Intel Core i7 K2600 OC@4.1GHz
      16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz Memory
      nVidia GeForce GTX 580
      Corsair Force Series 3 SSD

Thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
          rsnetto

Did you try the default settings? Before update, were there anything changed from the default?

Also, v2053 worked on your system, or you had video problems? I'd like to know if v2076 fixed it.

• 2. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
            Michael75

Yes, after updating from the 2040 to 2076 I got the message that the system booted unsuccesful. I tried setting the BIOS to default and booted the computer with no problems. Then I tried to set the overclocking back to automatic and the system boot was unsuccesful. This was the way I found out that there might be a problem with the automatic Overclocking Assistant.

Yes, I experience the video card problem with the 2053 BIOS update. Thas is why I waited for a fixed version and the 2076 seems to have no video card issues - so far.

• 3. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
              wasabipeas

I am using BIOS 2076 and I am not having any problems using the Automatic Overclocking.  In fact I am using the automatic OC right now and have my 2500K at 4.5GHz.  I previously had BIOS 2053 installed and what I did before installing 2076 was to go into the BIOS and restore BIOS defaults.  When the PC rebooted and I got onto my desktop I then installed BIOS 2076 using the Intel Windows exe installer.  I have always used the Windows installer and I have never had a problem with any BIOS update.  Can you try installing BIOS 2076 using the Windows exe installer?  Make sure to first go into the BIOS and load BIOS defaults and make sure that you do not have any OC settings...just have everything set to default and then install 2076 from Windows.  Good luck.

• 4. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                Michael75

Trying to update the BIOS again to 2076 with the default settings loaded in BIOS I got the same result - no joy.

After further investigation, I have discovered at has to do with the Memory Setting when the Overclocking Assistant is set to <Automatic>. When you set the Memory Speed to beyond <Default> you will receive the message mentioned earlier in this thread, that the system was unsuccessful booting. I know my memory modules are qualified for 1600MHz. They even have a XMP-1600 profile that can be loaded in the BIOS when the Overclocking Assistant is set to <Manual>. I have tried all CPU speeds from default 3.8 GHz and all the way up to 4.5GHz with the Memory Speed set to <1600> MHz all tests failed. Doing the same tests setting the Memory Speed set to <Default> trying the full range to CPU Overclocking Speeds from 3.8 GHz to 4.5 GHz the system booted successfully every time. As mentioned earlier in the this thread when setting Overclocking Assistant to <Manual> and clocking the CPU to 4.1GHz and setting the Memory Speed to 1600MHz by loading the XMP profile or setting the Memory timing values manually the system boots just fine. I have even checked when setting the Overclocking Assistant to <Automatic> and set the Memory Speed to <1600> MHz and then checked the Memory timing values, they are exactly the same as when loading the XMP-1600 profile in Manual mode.

Could you please try setting your memory speed to 1600Mhz or higher when the Overclocking Assistant is set to <Automatic> and see if you get the same result as me.

Thanks,

Michael

• 5. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                  t00l

Im not sure if this is related to Michaels problem or not, but after upgrading to BIOS 2076 (from 2040) cpu-z is reporting my Memory Command Rate as set to 1T.

I have a Corsair 8GB memory kit (2x4GB) that is supported to run in 1600Mhz through the XMP profile, but the Command Rate should be set to 2T as far as i know. I also noticed this when trying BIOS 2053 for the first time.

In earlier BIOS versions (2040 and lower) cpu-z reported the command rate as set to 2T when using the XMP profile.

I also tried BIOS 2053 which gave me these "Display driver stopped working errors", mostly when browsing the web with Firefox (7.0.1).

I then reverted back to 2040 through the bios recovery method but strangely i still got the display driver error's now and then when using BIOS 2040. I had never experienced those errors prior to upggrading BIOS to version 2053.

If it helps, i use Windows 7 64bit and graphics card is nvidia gtx 560Ti (EVGA).

Question is if this Command Rate anomaly i see can be related to these problems in some way.

Regards

Johan

• 6. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                    wasabipeas

DSCF7069.JPGHey Michael - I am using the OC Assistant set to <Automatic> and I have my memory set to <1600> (see pics) and I am not having the problem that you are having.  I have always set my memory to <1600> instead of default because otherwise the memory runs out of spec at 1333.  The only odd thing I have noticed is that CPU-Z reports my memory as 9-10-10-240 instead of what it's suppose to be which is 9-9-9-24.  It must be a glitch with CPU-Z since both the BIOS and the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility show my memory as 9-9-9-24.  I have the latest version of CPU-Z which is 1.58.

DSCF7068.JPG

• 7. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                      Elemental1

I noticed that with my 2 x 4GB of Kingston PnP 1600 HyperX (1.5v) that if I do not use the default mem option, it will try to set memory at 1.65v which, does not work.

I usually do not OC but thought I'd give it a try.

Also, tried testing sleep mode and system got an error 26 (LED) when resuming so I had to hit reset to resume.

Is that not a mem init error code? The diag light was green though.

Memory is running 9-10-10-14-1T according to CPU-Z but as mentioned above, Intel utils show 9-9-9-27-0T.

I have to ask the Intel techs how they manage to make PnP memory choose the wrong voltage while on auto settings?

Intel really needs to run this board through some better testing. I am getting occasional nVidia driver restarts also.

• 8. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                        Palor

At least I confirm that I also got a Voltage Change after trying automatic overclocking. The memory I installed is one of the recommended memories from the intel homepage for the DP67BG motherboard: KINGSTON KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8G HyperX 8GB RAMKit DDR3 1600MHz.

This kit is normally running with 1.5V. The automatic overclocking changed it to 1.65V and I got reboots and an error message.

Small Feedback: So far I am happy with the mainboard itself, but the BIOS feels like outdated and sloppy. I use BIOS version 2040.

My Logitech G510 keyboard will only be recognized and mounted fast enough to get into the BIOS when I unplug my Microsoft X8 mouse and remove every cable from the speaker / microphone ports at the keyboard, although I changed the BIOS setting to: "Fast mounting of USB devices".

Otherwise the keyboard will be mounted shortly before I can work in Windows7.

• 9. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                          Elemental1

MaxxMEM2_b3410.jpg

This is using default settings shown above with zero tweaking in bios.

I am just wondering why all the mem utility programs do not seem to agree on mem settings. Are only Intels showing the actual timings properly?

This util and cpu-z are showing 1T while Intel shows 0T????

The HyperX PnP modules do have optimized spd settings but do not seem to have the XMP profiles unless you buy the 'X' versions but then you do not get PnP. Kingston states that the PNP is dependent on the motherboard bios.:O

I also wonder if the video card restarts are a result of these memory issues?

With bios 1900 I had no video issues but since flashing to 2040 and now 2076, I do even if they are only now and then as somebody already has stated above.

I am going to put a call in to tech support because this is unacceptable.

I have done a fresh Win7 install and no tweaking and sleep mode  is now working ok.

I will update here if I have another video card driver restart.

Update: Still getting nVidia driver faults and restarts although.....I only am getting those in Starcraft2. Need to do more testing.

• 10. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                            MarkJohnson

I too get problems with auto OC.  I set it to 4.5GHz and it locks ups and beeps like mad.

I also have another issue of my keyboard not working to access the BOS or any of the other hotkey on boot.  Mostly the boot menu as I have a multiboot system and need to boot from other hard drives.

anyway, the first keyboard was a microsoft wireless desktop 1000 and I replaced the batteries and then it started acting up in windows.  I had the same wierd problems when I put the keyboard on my backup computer.

I then went and bought a new Logitech wireless combo MK320 and the problem still persists.

I can usually get in the BIOS by hitting the BIOS reset button on the back of the mb panel, but as soon as I reboot it won't let me back in the BIOS.

Unfortuneately this board doesn't have the old trusty PS/2 keyboard port at all.  USB only.

I have tried loading defaults in BIOS with no luck either.

-=Mark=-

• 11. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                              Elemental1

Well.....this board still is not stable with my PNP memory when trying to overclock. What I mean is that as soon as I tested sleep mode....it could not resume and the LED displayed error 26 which looks like memory init issues. It still is choosing the wrong voltage if I let it.

Kingston says I am using the proper memory for this board so why is the Intel bios not playing well with the memory at overclock speeds?

My HyperX PnP memory was using 9-10-10-14-1T (O/C to 4Ghz using default mem speed) when checking with a few utilities but Intels said otherwise.

I put it back to default and all is well.

I also do not have any more TDR's with Starcraft2 after adjusting graphic settings to not overload the vid card.

The USB 3 ports are still faulty so....while I do like the board, Intel really needs to figure out these issues.

I hope this is not a power draw problem because I heard a rumor about that with these boards.

Unless Intel is becoming the kind of lessor tier motherboard maker who releases boards with bugs and never bothers to fix them and instead just releases new models.

I hope that is not the case.

• 12. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                                Elemental1

So....these issues are still unresolved for me:

1. USB 3 ports still hang up with any real usage

2. PnP memory not 100% PnP when overclocking

3. TDR's with graphic card (occasional and only under Starcraft 2 so might just be SC2 bugs)

The board is really stable otherwise and I hope Intel is working on these issues.

• 13. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                                  MarkJohnson

Elemental1 wrote:

So....these issues are still unresolved for me:

1. USB 3 ports still hang up with any real usage

2. PnP memory not 100% PnP when overclocking

3. TDR's with graphic card (occasional and only under Starcraft 2 so might just be SC2 bugs)

The board is really stable otherwise and I hope Intel is working on these issues.

1. I don't use USB much, but my works fine the couple of times I used it to copy some files to my USB 3.0 memory stick.

2. try setting you memory to default timings and see if it clears up.  Try the XMP profile.  overclocking the memory will give you more headache than it's worth.  you won't see any performance in your daily programs.  Only benchmarks will show any improvement.

3. Check SC2 forums for extra help on the issues.  It just may be video driver issues.

I found the problems with my issues getting into the BIOS.  I have to hit the keys very early in the boot.  I can get in everytime on reboot when I start tapping the key repeatedly as soon as it shutdown all the way until the screen comes up that I want to be in.

Good luck

-=Mark=-

• 14. Re: DP67BG booting unsuccessful with BIOS 2076 with Overclocking Assistant set to <Automatic>
                                    Elemental1

Try USB 3 ports with a hard drive and see what happens.

PnP memory does not need timings to be set....that's why it's PnP.

Also, I was overclocking the CPU, not the memory.

Memory works fine without any overclocking.

Already checking SC2 forums and unclear what the TDR cause is...still.

Absolutely no problems getting into bios or anything like that.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next