Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Intel.com drivers ok to use?

idata
Employee

Is it totaly ok to use Intel drivers to update the Intel HD graphics card? Or should I only use drvers that is in Sony esupport website? I have a Sony VPC-EB3QFX laptop. I got this notebook last year in 2010.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

You can use Intel drivers if you want however you should considering they are generic; instead drivers released by your Laptop manufacturer have been customized according the system specifications.

Here you can find these drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Regards,

Dago MC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Maybe I took it wrong but are you saying that generic drivers aren't as good as drivers made from Sony? I thought they are the same. I know my video card is Intel HD since it says that on my device manager.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is it likely that something bad will happen if I use Intel drivers? Or will I have no problems forsure? Since I thought that basicly Sony gets there drivers from Intel so then if that's the case I can just download the drivers directly from Intel since they usualy update there drivers more often than Sony, Dell, etc.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again,

If you use generic drivers nothing wrong will happen, in worst of the cases some feature of an specific game could not work properly or there could be an issue with some specific video resolution, therefore with 3rd party systems we always recommend to try the drivers provided by the system manufacturer first.

On the other hand, there could be an issue related with the graphics drivers released by the manufacturer that could be fixed with our drivers.

Regards,

Dago MC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well I noticed that the last update for the Intel HD drivers from Sony is around middle of September of 2010. But hasen't there been alot of improvements since that time? The driver version I have now is 8.15.10.2182. But is there a newer version than that today? I was assuming that Intel hasen't been updating there drivers that much but do they have a better version than what I have? If so won't that have better performance in games?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok I did try and use the latest drivers from Intel and it did improve the FPS for my games but I noticed that when I play games like Crysis 2 on 800x600 res it doesn't look right meaning everything looks little skinny not that skinny but it is more skinny than normal. I think if my screen was able to stretch the display to fit my widescreen on my notebook it would look normal. I remember having this problem with The Sims 2 game and only way to fix it was set the res to 1366x768. For The Sims 2 game both the Sony driver and Intel driver did the same thing at 800x600 or basicly any res that is not for widescreen.

I do know that for Crysis 2 using the Sonys latest drivers didn't look skinny at all when the res was at 800x600. I don't know why. But the performance is better using Intel drivers.

Does anyone know how to make it so at 800x600 res it will look not skinny? Since It's best to play the game on lowest res for Crysis 2 since it's a graphical game.

0 Kudos