Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Horizontal Stretch mode on laptop with Win7

idata
Employee

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude E4310 with Windows 7 Enterprise - 32-bit installed. The graphics card is Intel(R) HD Graphics and the driver version is 8.15.10.2104 and bios version is 2080.26. I have dual monitors attached to it via a docking station and both monitors are operational however are working as independent displays. I am trying to find out if there is any way to make both the screens behave as one large monitor instead of two separate monitors?

I have done this previously on a different system with an ATI Graphics card and this mode is called horizontal stretch or horizontal span where the resolution of the screen is 2048x768 or higher and your windows expands across both monitors when you click on the full screen button on top of the window. I believe this is a function of the graphics driver installed. I have searched however cannot find any details on this. Can someone please confirm if this mode is possible.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RAlva5
Novice

This is for Windows 7 Ultimate,64 bit version but how about going to control panel then click appearance and personalization then under Display find and click connect to an external display then click connect to a projector then click extend. (under display you can also find connect to a projector then click extend)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I already have it in extend mode the way you have suggested and I do have a dual monitor environment. But both monitors are operating as individual monitors with their own screen resolution. I would like both of them to operate as one resolution so I want one huge screen. If I maximize my windows under my current setup using the maximize button on each window it maximizes only to one screen. I would like it to maximize to the width of both screens. I hope I have explained this correctly. One thing when I choose connect to an external display I have the option to extend or connect to a projector. The extend options gives me output on both screens but when I choose projector it only gives me the output on one screen. Thx

0 Kudos
RAlva5
Novice

I know exactly what you ment, to display the whole image using multi monitors put together like building a picture from a puzzle, but that's all i can suggest, anyway that is one thing that microsoft might have overlooked when they were designing the windows 7 system, but since you exposed the idea and made it known to us. I got interested and wanted to discover about it myself, perhaps theirs is an apps that could fix the problem that you encountered. Don't worry, I'll let you know if I found the solution to your problem.

0 Kudos
RAlva5
Novice

here it is man, you could explore all of these sites and find a free apps that supports your idea, just becareful with the minor bugs from free apps ( this is very occasional to happen when using free apps but they are usually repairable by uninstalling what you installed and will provide you what you need for the mean time).

link:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdXYVrpVOGykA0C9XNyoA?p=download+multi+screen+display&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-701&fp_ip=ph&type_param= http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdXYVrpVOGykA0C9XNyoA?p=download+multi+screen+display&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-701&fp_ip=ph&type_param=

0 Kudos
RAlva5
Novice

I have already referred your problem to my friends and I'm just waiting for the response. By the way I'm not an intel guy.

0 Kudos