5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 2:20 PM by Doc_SilverCreek

The computer does not start with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC

Pitilink
      Hello,

I received my new computer with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC, but it does not start with my two tests.The computer does not display anything on the screen, not even bios.

With a processor:

The computer starts (The LEDs are green) but after 20 seconds the "Status LED" blinking orange and shuts down after a few seconds.

With 2 processors

The computer starts (The LEDs are green, except for "Status LED" is orange), 3 seconds after the computer shuts down and emits two beeps and restarts.

My configuration:
      Intel(R) Workstation Board S5520SC
      2x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5645 6core 2.4GHz
      12 Go KVR1333D3E9S/2GI (6x2 Go)
      ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DirectCU II TOP 1024MB
      Cooler master  850w Silent Pro M
      Thank you in advance and if you need more information I can give you.
        • 1. Re: The computer does not start with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC
          Doc_SilverCreek

Not alot here to go on.

What is the mother board part number or the BIOS level (should be printed on a sticker on the flash chip?

There are a lot of LED in this system. Which ones or green? All of the POST LEDs?

20 seconds (BMC booting) after AC connected the status LED should go to green, yellow or yellow flashing depending on the board status. Nothing to do with turning on the system.

When you press the power button, do the fans spin up?

You you have the main power and both 2x4 CPU power plugs connected?

Do the POST LED change at all after the power button is pressed?

Before the shutdown, what POST LEDs are lit?

I am assuming it is not an Intel chassis, what are you using as a front panel for power button / reset / etc?

• 2. Re: The computer does not start with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC
            Pitilink

The fans are working when I start the computer.

CPU 1 Power = OK (2x 4PIN)
            CPU 2 Power = OK (2x 4PIN)
            Main Power = OK
            Auxiliary Power = None

The POST LED is not lit when power is active.
            When I start the computer POST LED lights

Start

1-1-3-3

Green = Diagnostic LED #7 (MSB LED)
            None  = Diagnostic LED #6
            Green = Diagnostic LED #5
            Green = Diagnostic LED #4
            Green = Diagnostic LED #3
            None  = Diagnostic LED #2
            None  = Diagnostic LED #1
            None  = Diagnostic LED #0 (LSB LED)

Status led = green
            ID LED = off

Before shutdown

3-1-2-1-1

None  = Diagnostic LED #7 (MSB LED)
            None  = Diagnostic LED #6
            None  = Diagnostic LED #5
            Green = Diagnostic LED #4
            None  = Diagnostic LED #3
            Green = Diagnostic LED #2
            None  = Diagnostic LED #1
            None  = Diagnostic LED #0 (LSB LED)

Status led = green
            ID LED = off

Actually it is not an Intel chassis, but NZXT Phantom

For the front panel use:

Power LED
            HDD LED
            Power Button
            Reset Button

The computer restarts to infinity

• 3. Re: The computer does not start with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC
              Doc_SilverCreek

Fans spinning up is good - PS is turning on

The power connectors all looks OK (Aux_Power is optional )

What is the 1 1 3 3 ? A beep code?

3 beeps slowly (twice) is a memory error.

All LEDs lit on the end of the DIMMS?

At Shutdown -- Status led = green

This is interesting since any frailty error should have cause this LED to go Yellow or flashing yellow.

NZXT Phantom  - Looks like a nice chassis!  I did not find any specs on the power / reset buttons so you may want to confirm that they are momentary switches or try unplugging them and momentary connect pins .11 & 13

FP_PINS.bmp

Check the jumper blocks also. Especially BIOS recovery. (It will cause the POST LED to loop if no recovery media is present)

You may want to set the clear cmos jumper just to make sure nothing is mess up in cmos.

jumperSC.bmp

And of course the #1 cause of won't complete POST -- A Bent PIN (s) in the CPU socket.

• 4. Re: The computer does not start with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC
                Pitilink

1 1 3 3 is just the result of the POST LED (1 shining, 1 none, 3 shines, 3 none)

All the memory LEDs do not light up forever . I have two busy locations to test (one for each CPU)
                and none shine

Now, before the computer shutdown, the POST LED blinking orange.

For the beeps code: [2xbeeps | pause | 2xbeeps].
                Finally, I understand it like that. The computer does not stay turn on long enough to be sure.

Now I have a second problem.
                My computer starts, after a few seconds the status LED flashes orange for a few seconds then stops flashing and then the computer will turn off, but does not restart automatically.

still nothing on the screen
                • 5. Re: The computer does not start with Intel Workstation Board S5520SC
                  Doc_SilverCreek

Well, you got me. I not sure where to go next.

The TPS http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e39530010_s5520sc_tps_r1_7.pdf

list all the diagnositic code in apex. E.

Yours are not listed

You might be having a Power supply problem. (5vSB dropping out ) which would cause the board to power off mid-POST

Do you have another Power supply you can try?

CPU thermal trip would cause a mid-POST shut down if the heat sink was not making good contact with the processor, but should also turn the Status LED yellow.

Any chance someone recently flashed BIOS? A bad or corrupt BIOS could cause what your reporting, but should not occur on a new board unless the BIOS has been updated. You can try the BIOS recovery. (check the TPS for details) (unlikley on a new board, but the strange POST LEDS lead towards corrupt BIOS)

3 beeps twich is a memory error. 2x pause 2x is not a normal beep error

USB scan does a lot of beeping so you could be into the USB detection and maybe having some USB device crash things? Unplug all your USB connections. and see if you get video.

Normal operation sould be:

1) AC applied - status LED flashes for ~ 20 sec and goes to Green, Yellow or slower flashing yellow

2) press power button - Fan spin up, POST LEDs start marching - bunch of beeps as each USB HUB , bridge or device is found.- ~ 40 seconds - video should come up

Did you ever get the board part number on the mother board label? (in red circle)

SCbrd.jpg