Just so everyone will know my current status, and avoid wasting time....
I have 4 - 3TB Hitachi drives, and 1 64GB SSD for boot.
I have a SuperMicro MB with an ICH9R chipset, Raid built into ROM, and I have installed the iostor.sys drivers.
It is current running in AHCI mode,
Originally, I installed Server 2008R2 64bit without the F6 drivers. Bios was set to IDE, (instead of AHCI, or RAID)
When I bought the first two 3TB hitachi drives, they formated using GPT perfectly. I then copied 2.7TB of data to 1 of the new drives.
I wanted to enable RAID, or at least AHCI, so I re-installed server 2008R2 64 bit and created the driver disk (F6 method) to install Intel Rapid Storage drivers. The install went fine, but I have several problems. One is severe.
1 I can no longer change the bios back to IDE, and I can not change it to RAID. If I do either, the computer reboots 1/2 way through boot up process.
2. My pre-filled 2.6TB GPT disk started acting... strange. Server would hang sometimes. Other times it would work normally.
3. After much diagnosing, It seems that my 2.7TB GPT disk works perfectly up to 2.0 TB, then just "hangs". I can copy data to it at 100MB per second for hours, right up to 2TB, then the copy just stops.
4. I have deleted the hard drive, and re-installed it numerous times. Hot swapping works. after I "clean all" or "Clean" in diskpart, It is formated and partition created as 2.7TB using GPTID. Explorer shows it is 2.7TB. I can copy data to it from other drives, but as soon as the copy gets to exactly 2TB, activity ceases, and no more data can be transmitted to the drive. I have used windows diskmanager to create, and partition it and I have used the Hitachi GPT provisioning software.
The only time I got to use the entire drive was before I loaded Intel Rapid Storage drivers.
When I change the bios back to IDE, Server 2008 won't boot. It goes into a boot loop.
When I change the bios to Raid, is also won't boot. Also with a boot loop.
When I change the bios back to AHCI, it has to be repaired, but then starts working normally (except for the 2.0TB limit on my 3TB drives)
I am looking for 2 things.
1. has anyone seen a problem like this? If so, where can I got to find out about it.
2. I can't re-install since it is my Domain Controller.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or ideas? I am not so sure where to go except to create a new domain controller, then reinstall it.