7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 12:30 AM by hp79

DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices

SDouglas

This is another issue I've been working on with Intel for the past several weeks.  In another discussion, I posted about issues I was having with the USB 3.0 ports not working properly with USB 2.0 devices.  You can see that thread here:

http://communities.intel.com/message/138282

After posting that discussion, I RMA'd my board (version -305) and received a new board (version -306).

The USB 3.0 port / USB 2.0 device issue still exists on the -306 version of the board.  IN ADDITION, the USB 3.0 ports on the DP67BG board (at least the -306 version) do not work properly with USB 3.0 External Hard Drives when a BIOS version newer than 1900 is used.  I've done extensive testing on this issue -- you can see some of that here in Post #29 of this discussion thread:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/24668?start=15&tstart=0

Since that posting I've done additional testing and follow-up with Intel.

Intel has replicated and confirmed the issue of USB 3.0 ports and USB 3.0 external hard drives not working properly on the -306 version of the board. It may or may not be an issue on the -305 version.

I'm being careful and limiting my statement to USB 3.0 external hard drives because those are the only USB 3.0 devices both Intel and I have been testing with.

Currently, it's in the hands of Intel design engineers to try to figure out root cause.  In summary here's what's going on:

- USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices on USB 3.0 ports don't have issues when used under BIOS 1900 and 1979.
      - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices on USB 3.0 ports don't have issues when used under BIOS 2040 and MSConfig Diagnostic Mode.
      - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices on USB 3.0 ports almost always have issues under all other conditions.

I'm posting this because I can't believe that I'm the only one that has encountered this problem.  Is anyone using the USB 3.0 ports on this board with USB 3.0 external hard drives?  If so, please post your experiences and include board version.  Thanks.

P.S.  Here's a summary of a recent series of tests I did per Intel's direction.  We were attempting to see if processor C-states were the cause.  It turned out they were not.  What it does illustrate, however, is that sometimes you can use the drives with no issues, but more often that not, the USB 3.0 port "freezes" -- see Post # 29 of this discussion thread ( http://communities.intel.com/thread/24668?start=15&tstart=0 )

for more detail on what is meant by "freezing":

Most Recent Test of USB 3.0 Devices on USB 3.0 Ports w/ Processor C-States Disabled
      BIOS:  2040
      BIOS Settings:  All default settings EXCEPT C-States were disabled.
      USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver:  2.1.19.0

Ext. HD's used in Testing:
      500GB USB 3.0 Western Digital My Passport Essential
      500GB USB 3.0 Toshiba Canvio

File Group 1 description:  27.2 GB total; 55,554 files, 5,132 folders -- wide range of file types and sizes

I didn't even bother testing a USB 2.0 drive on a USB 3.0 port since the USB 3.0 were failing.

Here's a summary of tests conducted:

Re-imaged the HD with a fresh Win 7 images (SP1 + all MS Updates through 9/14/2011)
      Attempt 1:  Copy file Group 1 from internal HD to external WD drive
      Result:  USB 3.0 port froze

Power down system and restart
      Attempt 2:  Copy file Group 1 from internal HD to external WD drive

Power down and restart
      Attempt 3:  Copy file Group 1 from internal HD to external WD drive
      Result:  No Issues

Attempt 4:  Copy file Group 1 from external WD drive to internal HD
      Result:  No Issues

Power down and restart
      Attempt 5: Copy file Group 1 from internal HD to external WD drive

Power down and restart
      Attempt 6:  Copy file Group 1 from external Toshiba HD to internal HD

Power down and restart
      Attempt 7:  Copy file Group 1 from internal HD to external Toshiba HD
      Result: USB 3.0 port froze
        • 1. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
          SDouglas

Here's a simplified summary chart of my experiences with USB 3.0 ports on the DP67BG.  I thought others might find this useful.

Click on chart to make it BIG

USB3.0_Results.png

• 2. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
            csj

Hi, having EXACT same issues. I have had these same issues also on several boards from different manufacturers including the EVGA P67 motherboards. I blame the NEC Renassas USB 3.0 chip on the board. I hope they eventually just integrate the USB 3.0 crap right into the chipset instead of a separate chip, then maybe there would be no issues. Question - did you update the firmware on the NEC chip? Current is 3.0.2.8

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/nec.htm

Have you made any progress with Intel? Seems that this issue will eventually be resolved with a BIOS update so we just have to patiently wait. In all other respects this board has been ROCK solid, great performance!

• 3. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
              csj

BIOS 2076 just came out today, I'll give this one a shot and see if it helps the USB 3.0 problems!

• 4. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
                Elemental1

Are you running the latest USB 3 driver? 2.1.25.0? Running that with R306 board w/bios 2076.

As soon as I buy a USB 3 dock, I will test also so can't verify it now.

Still wondering why Intel does not have a USB3 header on the board too.

Just tried to partition a USB2 drive/dock and it hung up the process (not machine). Nice Intel.

Well..it BSOD'd on restart (first time on this board).

After a fresh startup I partitioned drive on USB2, no problem.

I then plugged back into USB3 and it did show up.

Started a 10GB transfer which started out nice and fast but soon stalled after less than 2GB and this hosed my system pretty much so I had to restart and it never shut down properly so had to reset eventually.

I had been using the ext SATA port with same dock and zero problems, btw.

Guess I wont be touching those USB3 ports until they fix it...if they can. :O

Does anybody actually test things anymore at Intel?

• 5. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
                  csj

Like I said in the previous post, I have experienced this EXACT same problem on other P67 boards from different manufacturers like ASUS and EVGA. Seems to me that it is some sort of incompatibility with the NEC Renassas USB 3.0 chip and the P67 chipset. I never experienced these problems with the previous X58 chipset, and they used the EXACT same NEC USB 3.0 chips on those boards too, the chips have the identical model and text printed on the chips. I think this is a fixable problem since BIOS 1979 with this DP67BG motherboard seems to work fine with the USB 3.0 ports. Also, I tried BIOS 2076 and sleep mode stopped working properly, so I downgraded back to 2040 and sleep mode works fine now. Other than the USB 3.0 problem the board seems to be rock solid in every other way and I like the included wireless and bluetooth adapter that most motherboard manufacturers don't include, so I do think this is still a great board. I think eventually there will be a fix for this USB 3.0 issue.

• 6. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
                    rsnetto

I'm back to DP67BG tests after some months. I finally bought a USB3 device (Welland Turbo Leopard ME-601S docking station) and tried to reproduce the problems brought by SDouglas. Until today my only complaints about this motherboard (and Intel) are the non-functional PCI bus and the broken BIOS updates.

So, I haven't had any problems with USB3 ports.

I had already tested with a mouse with no problems, someone at other topic said that I may not have stressed the port enough... This time I copied around 100 GB from the external drive to the internal drive, in both USB2 and USB3 configurations, using the same drive/docking station, only changing cables. The process takes around 20 minutes in USB3, and one hour in USB2.

Summary of the tests:

BIOS 2040, all default, Windows XP, Renesas driver 2.1.16

BIOS 2040, all default, Windows XP, Renesas driver 2.1.28

BIOS 2040, all default, Windows 7, Renesas driver 2.1.19

BIOS 2076, all default, Windows XP, Renesas driver 2.1.28

BIOS 2076, all default, Windows 7, Renesas driver 2.1.19

BIOS 2076, C-states disabled, Windows XP, Renesas driver 2.1.28

BIOS 2076, C-states disabled, Windows 7, Renesas driver 2.1.19

BIOS 2076, all default, Windows 7, Renesas driver 2.1.28

I have also tested an older USB2 HDD enclosure, with this last configuration, copied around 20 GB from the external drive, still no problems.

My motherboard is version 303, this is the main difference between my machine and SDouglas one. Also, this may be the most important, the firmware version on the NEC Renesas chip is 3025. Intel does not offer updates for this firmware but they can be found elsewhere.

Maybe the problem is related to the motherboard version, but I suppose the guilty is the NEC chip, the versions fitted in newer board revisions (or even within a revision) may be different and problematic.

• 7. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Aren't Reliable w/ USB 3.0 Ext Hard Drives & USB 2.0 Devices
                      hp79

I have a intel DH67CF mini-ITX board, and have problems with the USB 3.0 port. It's actually been known since very long time ago, and I gave up on trying to get it fixed. Similar thread here.

I WILL NEVER BUY INTEL BOARDS AGAIN.