4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2011 12:17 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Problems using express BIOS update on D875PBZ

theguyfromplt

Yeah, I know this board's a little older.    I'm running XP Pro for my OS and wanted to update the BIOS because the "Burn In" option is not showing in the "Advanced" menu in my BIOS.  I have no floppy drive in this tower, so I tried to use the Express Bios update within the OS.  Trouble is, when I run it, click finish, it is supposed to reboot, run the update and go back into windoze.  But when I get back to XP, it states that the update was unsuccessful, to restart the update software and view the readme in order to troubleshoot it.  Nothing in the readme helps me out one bit.  Anybody have a clue what I should do to get this BIOS feature to show up??  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Problems using express BIOS update on D875PBZ
          Flying_Kiwi

theguyfromplt wrote:

Trouble is, when I run it, click finish, it is supposed to reboot, run the update and go back into windoze.  But when I get back to XP, it states that the update was unsuccessful, to restart the update software and view the readme in order to troubleshoot it.

In my experience, problems with Express Update BIOS upgrades not going through are often caused by Antivirus software interfering. You'll need to disable your antivirus software and make sure it won't restart during the reboot process (if necessary uninstalling it and reinstalling after the BIOS update).

• 2. Re: Problems using express BIOS update on D875PBZ
            theguyfromplt

I will try that and repost - for the record, I use Comodo Internet Security Suite.  Thanks for the fast response!

UPDATE:  I uninstalled Comodo, tried to run the update, still no dice...    I don't get why it wouldn't work.  Is there anywhere in the BIOS I might be missing some sort of settings protection feature?

• 3. Re: Problems using express BIOS update on D875PBZ
              theguyfromplt

OK, I found a good enough A: to do the job, got it going, and then it tells me the BIOS ID's do not match. (?)

Regedit says this is my BIOS info:

GATEWA - 20040421
              BIOS Date: 04/21/04 17:05:39 Ver: 08.00.10
              BIOS Date: 04/21/04 17:05:39 Ver: 08.00.10

I noticed that my current BIOS ID, upon bootup says it is BZ87510A.15, whereas the BIOS update I'm trying to install is BZ87510A.86.  It is a Gateway board (apparently) and I do not remember who I bought it from.  It came with a disc for the motherboard drivers, etc - but it was all scratched up right out of the box.  That's fine - I was able to get THAT from the Intel site.  However, I'm not sure where to turn for a BIOS update...

• 4. Re: Problems using express BIOS update on D875PBZ
                Flying_Kiwi

theguyfromplt wrote:

I noticed that my current BIOS ID, upon bootup says it is BZ87510A.15, whereas the BIOS update I'm trying to install is BZ87510A.86.  It is a Gateway board (apparently) and I do not remember who I bought it from.

It will have an OEM provided BIOS on it then - that .86 on the end of the one you can't install is reserved for Intel motherboards only. This is why you got the BIOS mismatch error and why you can't flash the Intel BIOS onto it. If you really want to upgrade the BIOS, you will need to find PCs on the OEMs website that use this motherboard and then attempt to get an update from them to suit. If there's nothing wrong with how the PC is running then why not leave it as-is? I'm actually using a BIOS thats 1 revision older than the newest deliberately because it has fewer bugs that adversely affect me than the latest version. Sometimes the latest, isn't always the greatest!