3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 3:45 PM by ajaytemp

Windows NT and Systems Language

ajaytemp

Idiots at MSDN do not know what their OS was built in.  Please read below...

My post was deleted when I told them java vm is in C, and I asked this because i am curious on real roots of CLR/DotNet VM.  I know more of these shocking truths.

Friday, October 02, 2009 10:28 AM

(MVP)

"Significant chunks of .NET are written in C++.  The CLR is 100% C++ code.  The core of WPF is C++ with a layer of C++/CLI on top.  GDI+ is 100% C/C++.  Whenever you want to extend Java or Python, you have to do so with C/C++ code.  Writing device drivers requires using C/C++.  Windows is written in C++.

Clearly, C++ is the weapon of choice to conquer the machine.  That is however not a common programming task, a dbase app or UI or something webby is far more common.  Using C++ for those tasks is a mistake, you'll get the job done much quicker with a managed language.

Hans Passant.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/9fa79fb6-f73f-4a25-b0dd-92f9b5dc01af/#31d9ecf6-7a32-4c45-8787-e624bad90ac2

On same thread,

(MCC)
      "@nobugz - That post is golden.

The main difference to me is that, with C++, I am free to design and code bottom up, or top down. With the other languages, the API defines the program more than the problem, so I have to do more monkey-wrenching to get work done efficiently. While some of that is ignorance of the various .NET components, I still see a lot of 3rd party activity, like in the heyday of MFC. (If there ever really was, that is....)

Anytime I need to change scope, I can do that easily with C++. It is really quite simple to code your way out of most situations using C++. Adding new interfaces, or gluing dissimilar interfaces is much simpler with C/C++. I also never liked calling my own code "unsafe", either."