Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20675 Discussions

Direct3D / WinSAT Freeze - HD 2000 / I3 2100T - Clean Win7 x64 Install

idata
Employee

I just completed a new build with following components and get constant terminal freezing with integrated Intel GPU within 10 seconds of starting WinSAT / Windows Experience Index or playing video that uses GPU decoding. Sytem reboot is required.

Processor = Intel i3 2100T

MB = Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z (Z68 chipset)

RAM = 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (QVL memory for MB)

Clean Win7 x64 install. Installed all Windows updates first then installed Intel HD Graphics Drivers

I have tried three different versions of the Win7 x64 Intel HD Graphics drivers: 8.15.10.2372 as provided by Asus, 8.15.10.2509 and 8.15.10.2361 from the Intel Download center but all of them still cause a freeze within 10 seconds of starting the WinSAT / WEI Direct3D 9 Aero Assessment.

Seems to be almost certainly a GPU driver issue. I've tested the RAM with Memtest 86+ and Prime95 and have verified RAM Timings and RAM Voltage are correct in BIOS too. Everything works fine if I use the stock Win7 VGA drivers with the HD2000 GPU...though there is no Direct3D Test obviously. In frustration I installed a dedicated GPU PCI-E card (nVidia 7600GT) and again everything tests out fine in WinSAT and Direct3D.

The Motherboard only has an HDMI out, but I've also tried 2 different HDMI cables and connecting to two different LCD TVs one via HDMI / and one via and HDMI to DVI cable.

I bought this MB because it was one of the few that had an Intel Network chip, thinking going all Intel parts was a safer option. However it amazes me that I can't get the Intel HD2000 GPU to work on a clean Win7 install.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

We have tested Direct3D and WinSAT on a similar configuration with Intel HD graphics version 8.15.10.2509 and the system worked fine.

I recommend you checking another processor maybe its graphics portion may be defective.

I included a print screen of the troubleshooting.

Regards,

Dago.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The configuration doesn't look very similar.

Win7 x32? Looks like an i5/i7 Processor and only 1280 x 1024 resolution?

The likelihood of a bad GPU on the silicon is remote, especially considering other people are reporting the same problems with the i3 2100T, x64 and an HDMI connection. I would have expected that Intel would regression test the driver with all Sandybridge processors (there aren't that many variants) but apparently not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've reported this issue a half year ago /message/118674 http://communities.intel.com/message/118674.

Still no answer from Intel.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

couple of other threads seem to indicate that the issue may be with the BIOS provided by the motherboard vendor - you may want to check with the vendor to see if a BIOS update is available.

0 Kudos