Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel(R) HD Graphics & KVM Switch ==> lowers resolution

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics.

I downloaded the latest driver from Intel's download center:

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows XP* 8/30/2011 6.14.10.5374

The os I use: Windows XP 32 Bit.

Device Instance ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_00468086&REV_02\3&11583659&0&10

I use a extern monitor. The extern monitor is connected to a KVM. There are several other computers connected to this KVM switch.

Always when I switch to the laptop the screen resolution is lowered to 800 x 600.

I always change the resolution back to 1600 x 1200. This resolution is been kept as long as the KVM switch displays the laptop.

But as soon as I switch with the KVM switch to another computer and afterwards back to the laptop, then the resolution of the extern laptop monitor is been set to 800 x 600.

==> How can I fix this bug?

I already use the latest driver.

Are there some setings in the registry or the HD Graphics tool, that can suppress this unwanted behavior?

Something else that fix this problem?

Or do I have to wait for the next driver version ( which hopefully fixes this bug ) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Sounds like Windows is defaulting to a generic display because it's not receiving the DDC/EDID data. Replace the KVM switch with one that will pass or generate the DDC/EDID info for Windows. (Pass is better.) There are different types of KVM switches. Yours may be the basic server type.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks that's sounds plausible.

Nice that this new graphics device can handle such signals ( DDC/EDID ).

But with my old laptop there was never a problem at this KVM.

I do not want to by a new KVM that also can handle such signals.

Since this new graphic card is so smart and can handle such signals, there also should be somewhere the possibility to tell this super graphics card to not listen to those signals and to use a fix resolution all the time!

Where can I tell the graphic card to do this ( some where in the registry, in a special tool for the graphic card, device manager, .... ) ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When the external display is switched to the laptop, how is the display reported on the laptop?

On the laptop ...Go to Control Panel > Display -- click Settings Tab. Is there an "Identify" button?

Try to define the properties of the secondary display ON the laptop, not through the secondary display via the KVM.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_multi_monitors_install_secondary.mspx http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_multi_monitors_install_secondary.mspx

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

my external monitor is parallel to the laptop's screen. So when I press the identify button, on

both screens the number "1" is displayed.

The page, which you refer with your link only talks about the generall configuration of multiple monitors.

This page is absolutly no help for the described problem.

Here again my configuration and problem:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY graphic card's Device Instance ID : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_00468086&REV_02\3&11583659&0&10

Laptop's OS: Windows XP Prof. 32 Bit

Used driver: Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows XP* 8/30/2011 6.14.10.5374

(this is currently the latest available driver for this device)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I already described:

My laptop is conected to a KVM switch. There are also some other computers connected to this KVM switch. Now I perform the following steps.

1. With the KVM switch I switch to the laptop.

2. Now I operate the laptop thru the external monitor.

3. I set the resolution to 1600 x 1200.

4. With the KVM switch I switch to another computer.

5. I switch back to the laptop.

6. Now my screen resolution has been reduced to 800 x 600.

Now my question:

Where can I tell the graphic card, to not list to that DDC / EDID signals. And to not automatical change my screen resolution?

I guess some where in the registry, "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel",

the device manager, etc... there is a setting, with which I can force the

graphic card / driver ... not to automatical change my screen resolution.

==> Can somebody please tell me where this setting is?

Or what other bug fix, solution, ... can be applied.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does nobody know, how to fix the resolution to the fixed value of 1600 x 1200 ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am encountering the same problem, and looking for a solution other than replacing my KVM hardware.

Meanwhile, my temporary 'fix' is to disable the Intel graphics drivers in Device Manager. Then, after reboot, choose the preferred screen resolution for Default Monitor. This way, KVM switching does not mess up my chosen resolution.

However, since only generic drivers are applied, graphics abilities are quite limited.

It would be nice to see a solution, whereby I can keep my exisiting KVM hardware, and enable Intel drivers as well.

0 Kudos