3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 2:49 PM by Salem_Intel

D510MO and 310 SSD Compatability

icmpeko

I have a D510MO-based PC running CentOS 5.5 and recently was excited to add an 80GB 310 SSD to the mSATA slot only to find the SSD is not recognized by the BIOS or Anaconda installer. What gives? Are these not compatable with each other?

If not, then what SSD is? This is a tough endeavor due to the lack of documentation on this motherboard and its PCIe mini card slot.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: D510MO and 310 SSD Compatability
          Salem_Intel

Hi,

I confirm all the chipsets, including the Intel® NM10 Express Chipset, that support SATA will support M-SATA, too. The support could be via the native connector or a converter (M-SATA to SATA).

You can check the following website for illustrations of a M-SATA device, and the how the converter looks like:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-032415.htm

For general documentation for the Intel(R) Desktop Board D510MO, please, refer to the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/category/dsktpboards/d510mo/doc_guide

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: D510MO and 310 SSD Compatability
            icmpeko

That page is actually what prompted me to post to this forum (we're on the right track). On the motherboard is a "PCI Express Full-Mini Card slot," though. My thinking was that it would support an Intel 310 SSD and would net a third SATA drive for my PC (one HD, one DVD, and one SSD), but the drive is not recognized.

So, the only way the 310 SSD will work is with the "mSATA-to-SATA converter/adapter" (from your post/link) and the choose to burn one of the SATA ports on the motherboard to connect it? At this point, it looks like my only option is to add another SATA controller for use with the "mSATA-to-SATA converter/adapter" -OR- remove the internal HD to free up a SATA port, no? If this is the case, then what kind of card should go into the "PCI Express Full-Mini Card slot" on the D510MO?

I appreciate the help and guidance.

• 3. Re: D510MO and 310 SSD Compatability
              Salem_Intel

Hi,

I confirm "to connect a mini-SATA SSD to an Intel(R) Desktop Board [this includes the Intel(R) Desktop Board D510MO] that does NOT natively support mSATA, you must use an mSATA-to-SATA converter/adapter."  The only one board that does not require such adapter is the Intel(R) Desktop Board DH61AG:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-032415.htm

As for "what kind of card should go into the "PCI Express Full-Mini Card slot" on the [Intel(R) Desktop Board D510MO]", theoretically, as long as the card complies with the specifications of the board and port (the Technical Product Specification for the board is here), it should work.  It's always recommended, then, contacting the manufacturer of the PCIe* Full-Mini Card of your choice to find out compatibility details between the board and device.

1 of 1 people found this helpful