2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 7:37 PM by skrull

Intel KVM/AMT on headless DQ67EP

cuco

Hi

I try to use the Intel KVM-AMT-VNC-feature on my smal server with its DQ67EP. I can use it via Real VNC Viewer Plus and I can access BIOS and bootmanager (GRUB2). But when Ubuntu-Linux (11.04) boots I get "unsupported or inactive display adapter"-error in RealVNC. With a monitor connected it works fine, withoud monitor it doesn't work. I tried to connect a dummy-monitor-adapter which emulates a 1024x768 VGA-monitor. This works like a real monitor is connected - until Ubuntu switchs the monitor off because of not using it for a while.

I thought this KVM-feature is great for administrating but it seems it is very unstable and it can't be used on headless (server) systems. Is that correct? That would be really bad :-( Did anybody get this working?

Greets Tobi

• 1. Re: Intel KVM/AMT on headless DQ67EP
          Ricardo_Intel

Hello,

The Intel board DQ67EP has been designed to work as a desktop system with a real monitor attached and under a desktop environment like Windows OS.

You could give it a try setting your operating system to never turn the monitor off (automatically), hopefully it will fix your problem.

You can check the operating system compatibility list on the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-008326.htm

• 2. Re: Intel KVM/AMT on headless DQ67EP
            skrull

I own a DQ67SW motherboard with BIOS SWQ6710H.86A.0055.2011.0921.1044. It is a headless server runing debian squeeze 6.0.3 and I have pretty much the same problem.

I found a workaround, blacklisting the i915 module seems to solve the problem, for the moment.

Use kernel parameter drm.debug=0x06 for more info.

My bet is that i915 driver detects nothing plugged on any connector (vga/dvi/etc) and does some kind of power management which messes up things, but this behavior only shows on module loading. Plugging a monitor trigger some event on i915 module and kvm becomes available again, you can unplug monitor and continue using kvm.

(sorry my poor english)