12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2012 10:54 AM by Tony

HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!

Waterhouse

Hi,

My new dx580g board, with an i7 3.2Ghz processor and 24GB ram locks up multiple times daily. It will lock up with IO intensive tasks such as copying a multi-gigabyte file from an external disk to the internal disk, or most recently after 8 seconds of a CPU stress test through the Intel  Extreme Tuning Utility.  After the system rebooted and Extreme Tuning Utility started up, the autotune log said something like 'autotune could not complete because of system instability'. Wow. I need some help here. I'm thinking the mb is faulty, or cpu is not seated right, or something serious is going on.

OS is Win7 Pro 64 bit. I don't care about overclocking. I have set bios to defaults, tried turning overclocking on and off. None of this changes system stability.  I just need a stable system. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
          Ricardo_Intel

Hello,

Try to update the BIOS first, please check the next set of instructions

1)           Turn the system off

2)           Remove all the peripherals (keyboard, mouse and cd, DVD drive)

3)           Remove the BIOS jumper from the board

4)           Load the SO0876C.BIO file in an empty flash drive hopefully no bigger than 2g and connect it to the back panel of your board

5)           Turn the system on and wait for 10 minutes until you see the BIOS update screen.

6)           Then boot to the BIOS and check the latest BIOS version was loaded correctly.

You can get the latest BIOS version for the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+5+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+DX58OG

If the problem continues check the memory Specification on the processor (as memory controller is embedded on the processor) check for voltage (1.5V is highly recommended) and memory frequency.

• 2. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
            stephen.waterhouse@oracle.com

Thanks very much Ricardo, I will give this a try.  The hardest part will be to find a flashdrive <= 2G!

• 3. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
              Hamy007

Hi there,

Maybe none surprisingly I have the same configuration with the same problem!

MB DX580G, Intel i7-960 and 24GB RAM.

After applying the recommended BIOS update - nothing changed!

The system is still showing very high temperatures on default settings?!?!?

For example on my Intel Desktop Utilities i have:

on IDLE:

Processor thermal margin is 59

Processor fan is 1096

MB temp is 49

VR temp is 37

IOH temp is 58

AUX fan is 901 rpm

+12V is 12.375

+ 5V is 5.081

+3.3V is 3.266

SDRAM Vcc is 1.523

Processor Vcc is 0.941

till now everything is stable ... but when I start an application which is loading all 8 cores to 100% - the system  very fast reaching the limits and after max 1 hour is restarting.... all lost.

with my previous configuration ASSUS P5KC, Intel Q9550S and 8GB RAM I have not any problem with the same application running it for days !!!

Would you be so kind to help me what is wrong or incompatible!

Thank you!

• 4. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                Ricardo_Intel

What is the RPM for the processor’s fan?

Try to set the processor fan to aggressive or to a faster speed. Besides that, check the memory Specification for the board on the following link :

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58og/sb/CS-031879.htm

Do you have the model number of the memory RAM?

Please bear in mind using a DIMM with a voltage rating higher than 1.65 V may damage the processor.

• 5. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                  Hamy007

Thank you for your answer.

The Processor fan is not exceeding 2100 RPM (it is the original fan delivered with the CPU),

The Memory is 6 x Kingston HyperX Genesis - KHX1600C9D3/4G - shown in the list you sent me ... but the system hang if I push it to 1600MHz.

Type : DRAM Technology : DDR3 SDRAM Form Factor : DIMM 240-pin Data Integrity Check : Non-ECC Supply Voltage : 1.65 V Module Configuration : 512 x 64 Lead Plating : Gold RAM Features : Unbuffered Memory Speed : 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 ) Latency Timings : CL9

The SDRAM Vcc is 1.523 V

The PSU is ATX 12v2.3 460W

I tried with open case and external FAN directly pointing to the CPU ... same result :-(

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• 6. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                    Ricardo_Intel

Hi,

What is the processor model? The memory controller is embedded on the processor and we need to keep an eye on the specifications to prevent any inconvenience. Check the memory specifications based on your processor model. You can get the information on the following link: go to desktop, processor and then by family

http://ark.intel.com/

• 7. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                      stephen.waterhouse@oracle.com

My mobo was defective. After getting it replaced, everything is fine.

-steve

• 8. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                        Hamy007

Hi,

The processor is:

Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor (8M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

The IOH temperature is worrying me .. on load is going over 70 degree... WHY ?!?!? and the Processor thermal margin is rising over 29 degree ... ?!?! while the processor fan is 1380 RPM and MB temp is around 40 degree .... now I’m expecting crash at any moment ....

The room temperature now is 12 degree C.

There is another fact that is important for the MB... on it I've found two additional buttons ( + and - ) near to the On/Off switch and Reset switch .. which are not described in any MB manuals for DX580G ?!?!?

Thank you

• 9. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                          Ricardo_Intel

The memory KHX1600C9D3/4G is supported on the board, which means it can work, but running at 1600Mhz goes beyond of the memory Specification on the processor (the memory controller is embedded on the processor), this can cause instability on the system performance. For a more stable system set the memory at 1066Mhz. please check memory specifications on the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/37151/Intel-Core-i7-960-Processor-%288M-Cache-3_20-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI%29#infosectionmemoryspecifications

• 10. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                            jurish

My board was doing the same thing.. I went down to 12gb of ram and it was stable. I am now at 20gb ram and it is still stable. I am using Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G  sticks. My processor is a Intel I7-980. (Non X version).

• 11. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                              turtlemann14

i know it has been a while since this thread was active, but i am having a similer problem on my dx580g.

running a core i7-980 3.33GHz at "stock" settings
                              ram is: crucial ddr3 ballistix - 128000 cl10, 1.5v, w/xmp running at 1066MHz 1.5125V

with next to no load the core temp sits close to 40*C with an ambiant of 47*C, the IOH is about 54*c voltage regulator is 38*.
                              the room it no more than 80*f

i have dropped the fan setting way down but still when i run a cpu stress test or the auto tune session it will reach up to 92*C. with all of the fans at full speed

heat sink sink seems to dissapate heat as it get hot.

when the computer locks up, i loose either signal or voltage to my mouse and keyboard the fans will idle down and the computer will just hang. sometimes it will restart on it own and sometimes i have to make it.

it's pretty bad that when running autotune it derates itself..

any more spacifics needed?

are these board bad from the get go?
                              if it is, would i be able to trade it in under warenty for another modle? (as i have dual xfx hd6870 video cards that have about 3/16 of 1/4" space between them due to the close proximity of the pci slots.

• 12. Re: HELP: dx580g too unstable to run an autotune session!
                                Tony

I also have this issue. I am not trying to overclock but Speccy is showing the motherboard at 87c. I have a NZXT case with 3 200mm fans and 4 120mm fans. I am using the stock heatsink that came with my Intel Core i7 950 quad core.  issue is present even at normal load and registers that temp immediately after boot.

System runs stable but this bothers me. I have 16gb of ram on the board. I'm trying to find out what or where this heat is coming from. Is it the RAM, South Bridge or Northbridge? CPU temps appear normal but when I was looking at the autotune software, it started throwing thermal warnings while simply validating current system stability. I've never had my system crash or throw any heat warnings unless I'm using autotune.

Any Advice?