6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 10:54 AM by edwardzh

SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

I'd purchased an SE7501WV2 motherboard and CPUs that were surplus to build a server, based on what I'd interpreted in the motherboard's specifications. I wanted something that would work for 32- or 64-bit OSes.  "64-bit" is mentioned over and over in the spec. So I built my server and, when trying to install openfiler I got a message that the processor  identified itself as an I586 and that the system wasn't 64-bit compatible. I dug around on the support site and read whatever I could find to get an answer. The board came pre-loaded with two Xeon 3.06 GHz processors, and the mobo spec lists compatible CPUs that are 2.8GHz or less.

This link claims that the 3.06 GHz processor (and apparently the Prestonia chipset) are only 32-bit compatible. So now I'm confused. The spec says 64; the board can handle 12 GB of RAM, it has a 64-bit PCI-X bus. So is it or isn't it...?

• 1. Re: SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

I think you have an antique there, it's older than some of the junk in our server room.

The particular cpu in your link is a 32 bit one, but:

This list, with bios 16.0, includes 64bit cpus. (M0 stepping stuff near the top.)

So, if you only have the cpus you had a link to, then you won't be getting any 64bit action.

Hope that helps in your quest for massive process space.

You may be better off retiring that power hungry monster and playing with something newer, even the lowly atom boards

that come with packets of cereal are 64-bit capable these days.

• 2. Re: SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

Thanks, bunny, for your assistance!  This thing is at least 8 years old, but it didn't cost a lot. I figured it would be a good learning platform, though I've ended up spending more money than I'd originally planned to. The power consumption issue is something that I've been thinking about--that and a quieter setup. I'm going to keep my eyes open and see what I can find in a lower-cost board with quad core support that also offers dual Gbit LAN ports. Then I'll have to find a server case that'll handle at least 8 drives...

• 3. Re: SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

I'm afraid 64-bit is not support on SE7501WV2. 64-bit was first introduced in Xeon processors with 800-Mhz FSB, but SE7501WV2 supports 533MHz FSB only.

• 4. Re: SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

So then, if there are no 533 MHz CPUs to support the board, why did the board include the 64-bit features? Was it a case of the board being 'orphaned' by newer CPU technology, or that the 64-bit CPUs that would support the board weren't produced after all for some marketing reason?

• 5. Re: SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

Well, there you have it, the official answer from an Intel being, which means that the documentation is seriously confusing if we have to call on the creator for the definitive word.

If you put an 800Mhz FSB cpu in, would it run at 533 and give you a rather sedate 64-bit system?

I guess the only other way to use all that lovely extra memory would be the dreaded PAE kernel.

Personally, I think a more modern board would blow the socks off this and eat fewer electrons too.

• 6. Re: SE7501WV2: 64-bit capable or not?

No the SE7501WV2 board does NOT support 64-bit, or more specificly, Intel-64 or formerly known as EM64T. The board does support Xeon processors with 533MHz FSB, but these CPUs are not 64-bit capable. I don't think the Xeon processors with 800Mhz FSB (which support 64-bit) will work on this board.