5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 1:08 AM by Tuzzaman

LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver

julio99

I've been getting this warning now for a few months and just can't seem to be able to find out how to fix this or get rid of the warning in my Event Viewer. I own a Acer 8943g Notebook running Windows 7 x64/4gb RAM/Core i5 430M processor.  My drivers all seem to be up to date. The services are running and I'm just at a loss. I'm an above average user so I'm not lost when it comes to troubleshooting, but this problem seems to have a lot of different solutions and I can't seem to pin one down, so hopefully I've come to the right place. If you have a solution other than a reformat please clue me in.

• 1. Re: LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver
          Jose_Intel

The Intel(R) Management Engine Interface is a driver required on certain Intel based system. It is used, among other functions, to improve communication with the BIOS.  No errors should appear with it.

You can try reinstalling it from this website:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&dwnldid=18532

Also, ensure that there are no unknown devices in the Device Manager.

Finally, please be aware that we've seen conflicts on the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface appear, when the user has changed the operating system that was installed originally with their systems.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver
            julio99

So far so good. I have yet to see the warning since I downloaded the driver from the website you directed me to. Hopefuly no more problems, but maybe keep this post open until I can see that this is good. I have never changed the OS on this laptop. It's not quite a year old yet with the same OS.

• 3. Re: LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver
              Tuzzaman

Thanks for this.  Several other uses (including myself) reported this in another thread with the same subject.  I downloaded the version that said 6.1.0.1042.  I uninstalled the old version 6.0.0.1179 and installed 6.1.0.1042.  This seems to have fixed the problem, but in Control Panel / Programs and Features, it still says the version is 6.0.0.1179 !?
              Any explanation for this?  I have a Dell Inspiron 15R running Windows 7 x64.

Thankyou

• 4. Re: LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver
                joe_intel

Intel® ME driver provided above is meant for Intel® 5 Series Chipsets. Without knowing the specific hardware in your system we can only recommend the Intel® Driver Update Utility or getting the driver from your system manufacturer’s website.

• 5. Re: LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver
                  Tuzzaman

In Device Manager, it says Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset.

The Intel Driver Update utility shows:

Product Detected            Intel® 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets           
                                  Current Version Installed                            9.1.1           
                  This version is valid.

The Intel Driver Update Utility doesn't seem to report on the MEI driver.

In Device Manager for the Intel MEI it says the driver version is 6.0.0.1179, even though I uninstalled and re-installed from

MEI_ALLOS_6.1.0.1042_PV

Since this has fixed my LMS Service warning message, my guess is that the version of the MEI driver has not changed since I bought my DELL Inspiron 15R laptop, but the MEI_ALLOS_6.1.0.1042_PV package contains another component (maybe the LMS service itself), that has been updated by Intel and corrects the problem.