1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 1:46 PM by ghep

using a 3TB HDD

ghep

I have just built a new desktop comprising of:-
      M/B Intel DP67BGB3 (BIOS 2040)
      CPU i7-2600K
      Graphics Nvidia 570GTX
      RAM 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (in DIMM1&2)
      HDD Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB SATA III

I have installed windoze7 and I want to give it 100GB leaving the rest for Linux.

When I enable UEFI in the BIOS with AHCI I get a 'No bootable drives' message. If I use RAID instead AHCI the installation fails with 'CD/DVD drivers missing'. How do I do it? I know I will lose my existing win7 installation but it's not a problem.

• 1. Re: using a 3TB HDD
          Flying_Kiwi

Have you tried using Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers for your OS (these provide both RAID and AHCI drivers). If this doesn't work then you could install the OS on a small SSD and keep the Seagate for a non-bootable data drive (or put it in an external drive casing and make it a drive for backup and restore purposes.

I've not got that motherboard but my DG45ID simply will not boot from a RAID volume larger than 2 TB, even with a supported OS and UEFI enabled in the BIOS - I don't know if Intel has fixed this issue yet with newer boards such as yours. Maybe someone who owns your model of board can comment.

Rather than attempting to change over from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS after installing the OS, you need to use the F6 driver on installation option with AHCI already enabled in the BIOS while you're installing the OS.

[Edit: Just found the F6 Installtion page here http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-029979.htm ]

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: using a 3TB HDD
            Boyet

You stated that you have installed Windows 7 does this mean that you were able to create the GUID partition table (GPT) under UEFI?

I have Windows 7 installed under UEFI but since I don't use Linux or other OS I did not split my data partition further.

• 3. Re: using a 3TB HDD
              ghep

Thanks for your reply.

No, I haven't tried Intel Rapid Storage Technology because I don't have a compatible controller hub, mine is an 'Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02' (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm)

• 4. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                ghep

Thanks for your reply. No, I wasn't able to create a GUID partition table I did a normal install which created a 2TB partition leaving an empty 700 GB partition spare. It was when I tried installing Linux that I realised the partition arrrangement was impractical. It gave the first 2TB to Windoze and I couldn't shrink it down or divide it into reasonable sizes. Do you see the whole 3TB in your Win7 install? Because if I can get there I can sort the rest out.

• 5. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                  Boyet

What I did is to delete any existing partition in the hdd first (I have data under the old bios controlled OS). Then enable uefi boot in the bios (This will disable bios control). Set the boot sequence option to boot the DVD/CD drive first. Then boot with the windows installer placed in the DVD/CD drive. Let windows create the uefi partition and proceed with the installation of windows. It should create a 100 mb efi system simple volume and a simple volume NTFS C drive. You can verify this by accessing disk management in the Administrative Tools.

BTW, I have Windows 7 64-bit.

Hope this will help you out.

• 6. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                    pwertz

The link you provided indicates Series 6 chipset is supported?? Regards. Peter

• 7. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                      ghep

OK, I'll try it out, I too am trying the 64-bit. Thanks be back later I hope :-)

• 8. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                        ghep

Yes, the chipset is supported but the controller hub isn't. Thanks, I'll delete the partition and try a reinstall as suggested by Boyet.

• 9. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                          ghep

The story since. .................. I went back to Win7 install and at the 'choose partition' I did a 'Shift F10' which opens a command prompt. Using diskpart I deleted the existing partitions and converted the disk to gpt. I then exited the command prompt and continued the installation on the only (2.8TB) disk there is. I finished the installation, added the Intel drivers (from CD), monitor drivers then the graphics. I even installed Firefox before I went to 'My Computer'! The HDD was still only 1.9TB then I remembered that I still hadn't activated UEFI boot in the BIOS!

I deleted the partitions again and tried to create a new one but it still wouldn't go over the 2TB limit. I deleted them again leaving the hdd as gpt.

But when I rebooted with UEFI enabled it finds no bootable disks. This with AHCI selected because I didn't want to use RAID.

• 10. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                            Flying_Kiwi

ghep wrote:

Yes, the chipset is supported but the controller hub isn't.

Your motherboards native Intel SATA hardware will be supported by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers I referred to earlier. You will need to install them for AHCI support on your drive (hence why you got the message about missing drivers). If you've had lots of partitions created and deleted, you may want to set your controller back to IDE mode and use Seagates DOS Seatools utility on a bootable USB pendrive to give the drive a zero fill (used to be called a low-level format). Once you then have a totally blank drive you could reset the BIOS back to AHCI and try again using the methods (and drivers) already suggested.

• 11. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                              Boyet

The preliminary tasks that you should be doing before installing windows under uefi are:

1. enable uefi boot in bios

2. set AHCI mode in bios

3. Existing MBR in hdd erased

4. Boot sequence option set to dvd/cd boot first

Once you have done the above task start/reboot the computer with the windows installer disk in the dvd/cd drive. Windows will create the gpt partition and create the windows boot drive in C together with the OS.

After this you can now install Intel motherboard drivers and other programs normally.

If you forgot to enable uefi and proceed with Windows installation, you created a bios dependent windows OS with an MBR hdd (this limits the available size up to 2 tb). Setting the uefi boot option after the OS installation probably will cause the no boot disk error message.

• 12. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                                ghep

Thanks, I'm still working on it but 'Murphy' is working overtime here! I have set the BIOS to IDE mode so it does boot from the install DVD. At the partition selection I see disk0 unallocated space 2794.5 GB. I have the options 'load driver' 'refresh' and 'new'. Using Diskpart I can see that it a  'gpt' disk. If look for drivers I should find them in ./EFI but it finds nothing. This drive loader looks for 'inf' files and I can't find them for the Intel drivers I need. I have also tried using 'iata_enu_10.6.0.1022.exe' and it exits with 'No compatible hardware found'!

I have just created an EFI partition on the disk and the Win7 installer says Windows 7 can't be installed to a GPT or EFI partition! I wasn't expecting that!

Back to you saying to install the drivers onto the drive, how do I do that when it's an unformatted empty drive? I need to find a way of loading them into RAM to start the installation. I tried with UBCD but I hadn't enough space to run the seagate or intel programs. I'll start looking into this can't install to an EFI drive now!

• 13. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                                  ghep

I have done all that. However setting AHCI mode and enabling UEFI boot gives me a no bootable device found! I can boot in IDE mode but then the Win7 install fails when it finds a GPT/EFI hard disk. The workaround is supposed to be running ' \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI' from the DVD but that file is not there!

• 14. Re: using a 3TB HDD
                                    Boyet

I have  examine my Windows DVD installer and there are files in efi\microsoft\boot\. Specifically 5 files (bcd, cdboot.efi, cdboot_noprompt.efi, efisys.bin, and efisys_noprompt.bin) and the fonts folder.

Here is a link that shows how to make a uefi system with suggestions in case you can't boot using your internal DVD/CD drive. Although the drive use is 3 TB Western Digital the steps/procedure is still applicable in your case.

Message was edited by: Boyet

1 2 3 Previous Next