5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2011 6:58 AM by xuyisheng

DH57JG: only compatible to one CPU model!!!???

xuyisheng

I'll tell you a frustrating story that I encoutered with Intel CPU and motherboard.

I ordered a retail-boxed H57 mini-ITX board last year together with a retail i5-650 CPU. I was very confident with their "compatibility" at that time since both of them are Intel products. The H57 board is specified as compatible to (first generation) Core i3 and i5 series CPUs. I used them in a home server for several month. The problem is CPU temperature kept high above 60C. But I need to keep the server on all the time. So later on I decided to upgrade my server and move the board and CPU into a case with better ventilation for regular office use.

Now more problems appeared! In the new case, the CPU temperature didn't drop much though there are plenty room of ventilation and none of the fans spin at full speed. I started to turn off the computer every day after use. But the computer cannot boot normally for the first cold start over night. When I press the power button once, the power LED is on, the fans and hard drives start spinning, but nothing is posted on the screen. I have to force it off by pressing the power button for 6 seconds. However, the computer boots up normally after I press the power button again. Everyday the same story repeats. Sometimes, Windows 7 will invoke the chkdsk for C: drive because of the forced power off. In addition, if let the computer goes into S3 standby/sleep mode for more than half an hour, it won't wake up. I have to force it off then boot it up from cold. I realized these problems actually also happened occasionally in my server case but I didn't pay much attention before because it was mostly kepted in power-on mode. I flashed the BIOS with all available versions. Nothing changed.

After I replaced everything except for the board and CPU, I decided that ether the board or CPU is defective. I contacted Intel for support since the products are still under 3 years' manufacturer warranty. The Intel website advocates to use their "live-chat" service. I used this service but completely got no progress. The person finally gave me a link for their phone support. The support agent on the phone asked me several numbers about the products including model numbers, serial numbers, board AA number and CPU Spec number. At last, he decided that my motherboard and CPU are incompatible! This incompatibility is because both the revision (AA) number of the board (E70930-302) and spec number of the CPU (SLBLK) were in a older batch. Only newer revisions/specs are compatible to each other. The support agent also gave me a web link (processormatch.intel.com) indicates the incompatibility. And because the products are incompatible, I cannot got any resolution from manufacturer warranty. I was totally shocked by this!

First, if the two products may or may not be compatible depending on their revisions, how can an end-user make a decision during online purchase? You know that these detailed information are usually not provided by resellers. Second, I really double the compatibility chart was really available on Intel's website at the time of my purchase since most of the revisions came out later. Finally, based on the compatibility chart, there is only one CPU model (i5-661) in the world that is compatible to my motherbard (DH57JG: E70930-302) though it was claimed to be compatible to i3 and i5's!

What's going on here, Intel?!

• 1. Re: DH57JG: only compatible to one CPU model!!!???
          Nipo

The suffix change -302 to -303 and -303 to -304 reflects that each time factory bios update was implemented. The board ships with updated bios to support newer processors, that is all.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DH57JG: only compatible to one CPU model!!!???
            xuyisheng

I've updated the BIOS to the most recent version (0656: 04/28/2011). The problems persist. So this means the imcompatibility is caused by the CPU (Spec: SLBLK) instead of both?

• 3. Re: DH57JG: only compatible to one CPU model!!!???
              Nipo

The root of the problem is not the CPU stepping, IF you took 661 and replaced it it may or may not develop the same issue.

it is frustrating that you had older batch with older bios and warranty wouldn't apply. Older boards go with their older bios and limited CPU support. that is just crazy. What bios update does is add some CPUID code needed to identify the cpu itself to the board, nothing else, so the overheating, cold boot, lock issues cannot be caused by this.

• 4. Re: DH57JG: only compatible to one CPU model!!!???
                CarWiz

Download the documentation on your board and CPU. It should list the revisions. If these occurred after your purchase and were declared incompatible (which Intel often does), I'd be requesting a RMA and wouldn't stop making a stink until I got it. But on the flip side, why did you wait so long when you knew there were problems from the beginning?

• 5. Re: DH57JG: only compatible to one CPU model!!!???
                  xuyisheng

CarWiz wrote:

Download the documentation on your board and CPU. It should list the revisions. If these occurred after your purchase and were declared incompatible (which Intel often does), I'd be requesting a RMA and wouldn't stop making a stink until I got it. But on the flip side, why did you wait so long when you knew there were problems from the beginning?

For the overheating issue, I was misled by the so-called Intel Quiet System technology:

http://communities.intel.com/message/93709#93709

and some guy's citation from the technical documentation:

http://communities.intel.com/message/88960#88960

I noticed the "power-on-twice" issue occasionally before. But this problem is only replicatable when the computer is shut down for more than half an hour. Shuting it down completely then turning it after immediately, there is no problem at all. Simillarly for the S3 sleep problem. I used the computer as home server before. I only did several restarts every month and the sleep mode was disabled. I discovered the problems recently after I started to power off and sleep it for everyday use.

Which documentation will show the date of revisions?