Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

i7-875K (unlocKed) locked??

idata
Employee

Hi everyone,

I bought a i7 875K two days ago on eBay. It's used already, but works fine, and it's seen as a genuine 875K in the BIOS, in Windows 7, and in any other monitoring program.

The K series have an unlocked multiplier (compare to standard processors, locked to max. x22). The problem is, mine seems locked! The multiplier is locked to max x22, I can't get it higher anywhere, in the BIOS or from Intel's Desktop Control Center.

I also have an Intel motherboard (DP55SB) and I flashed the BIOS to the latest version yesterday.

I contacted Intel directly through their chat service, but the operator answered that, although the K series are explicitely made for being overclocked, Intel does not officialy support it and couldn't give any help.

So it would hurt to know that I spent more than $300 in a special-overclocking processor whose multiplier is locked!!

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Although Intel does not officially supports overclocking, since overclocking is under customer's risk, you can test the processor on another motherboard that has a BIOS capable of supporting overclocking features, to see if that solve the issue.

Also since you purchased the processor at ebay.com make sure that it is not a counterfeit processor, you can do so by calling Intel Customer Support center and providing all the information on top of the processor as showing here:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030330.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030330.htm

They will be able to tell you if that is an official processor, or an engineering sample.

idata
Employee

Thanks for this. The problem is, the IHS has been sanded to the copper layer, so that the nickel plating (and what was written on it) disappeared. I found it strange at start, but when I saw "875K" in the bios, i was eased. When I saw that the multiplier was locked, though, I started worrying. The only number I can still see on my CPU is the ATPO. I will look around if there's a way to make it authentified by Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay. According to the Intel Processor Identification Utility I just downloaded, the chip is indeed a pre-release one, not intended for sale and resale. This is just a 870, not a 875K. I contacted the seller through Paypal's litigation system.

0 Kudos