7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 8:00 AM by gazdman

2600S vs 2600K

hardbard

Hi good people of Intel forum!

I have peculiar demands of my home CPU. I needs it to be silent and run 100% 24/7. (I run boinc (wcg) and due to points I need it to run 100% of the time). It will be situated near the bedrooms - so if I want the PC on during nights it needs to be dead silent. 2600S offers a TDP of mere 65W while 2600K has 95K. However 2600K is tweakable.

Could I by simple means and a decent motherboard get the 2600K run as a 2600S and still have the flexibility to run higher TDP?

All comments are most welcome

• 1. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
          Adolfo_Intel

The only difference I see between the 2 processors is the TDP, in good theory, the higher the TDP the hotter the processor will get, so the processor fan will spin faster.

However, there are many other variants that you need to take in consideration like the amount of thermal interface material, the type of cooling solution, the type of chassis and airflow on the chassis, etc.

So it is almost impossible to say that one processor will run hotter than the other.

• 2. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
            hardbard

Thank you for your comment Adolfo_Intel. I belive I may have made myself a bit unclear. What I want to know is: Has the 2600S any other "features" then being locked at a lower frequency (and the 2000 gpu instead of the 3000) compared with 2600K?. If it is so I assume it would be easy to "create" a 2600S by basic downclocking/underclocking the 2600K...(And assume all other external factors e.g. thermal contact to cooler, fans and case are identical).

• 3. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
              Adolfo_Intel

Please check this link:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52214,52215

The green lines are the differences between both processors, the only main difference I notice is the TDP.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
                hardbard

OK, thanks for that comparison Adolf_intel. So the 2600K lacks Intel® vPro Technology, Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d), Intel® Trusted Execution Technology. Not very important to me as this will be my home computer, but VT-d could be a nice feature to have,... maybe. That transforms my question to: Is it possible at all to downclock the 2600? (not the 2600K).

• 5. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
                  Adolfo_Intel

Only the unlocked processors, the ones with “K” in the case of the 2nd generation Core processors are unlocked, and only the unlocked ones can be downclocked or overclocked.

• 6. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
                    gazdman

The answer to your question is yes. You can down clock or lower your GHz on a locked processor. Example:- 2600k,can be clocked lower of higher. 2600,can be clocked lower,but not higher. 2500k,can be clocked lower or higher. 2500,can be clocked lower,but not higher. Etc. In my Intel DG41TY,I have an E6850 dual core.It is a LGA775 pinset socket number. It is locked,but someone that is an expert at overclocking can overclock it. I myself have lowered the clock rating just to experiment over a period of 1 day to 2 weeks the most at variable clock ratios,but not on this model cpu have I overclocked at all.  I have heard & read on other forums how people have overclocked the Core i7 2600 & 2500. But I have not tried this yet at all with these processors,but maybe you can learn.

• 7. Re: 2600S vs 2600K
                      gazdman

Hi once again. I forgot to tell you that I am no expert at overclocking or underclocking the Core i7 series of processors. So if you want to find out how,I suggest that you visit other forums that deal with these ideas.