cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Data Migration Hung with no progress bar on screen

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi. I just purchased a 600GB model. Transfering from my HP laptop running Win7 x64 using a usb->SATA connector. Data migration software loaded fine, immediately recognized both my HDD (one partition only, 110GB), started the transfer last night. It quickly started, and then rebooted. Following reboot the laptop screen only showed some white noise junk along the top edge of the screen (about 1/4" high), but the HDD light on the laptop was blinking quickly, so I assumed everything ok. It is now about 16 hours later, and the same thing is on the screen, and HDD light still blinks, just not quite so furiously as before.

I re-read the documentation and it indicated the migration software should have shown me a progress bar during the transfer.

I guess I need to restart the transfer? Is that so?

If I need to terminate the transfer, how can I do that *safely* and not corrupt the HDD -- and be able to reboot to it again?

Thanks! I need a solution quickly over this weekend, because early Monday morning I'm headed on a business trip & need the laptop.

- Neil

9 REPLIES 9

RGiff
Contributor

Was the new SSD formated before you started the transfer ??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Robert, thanks for pitching in to help!

answer: No. The instructions (at least as I understood them ) did not say to format the SSD first. I thought that was done as part of the migration process. Did I screw up? If so, what should I do now to get back to the beginning (i.e., reboot my Win7 laptop from the HDD), format the SSD (need instructions how to do that over USB connection, please) and then restart the migration.

Thanks again!

- Neil

When I did this on my laptop I formated the new drive first and it worked just like it was suposed to ?? I would format and try again .

How to format from USB start computer go to manage computer Right click on the SSD properties should be a line that says format click that , Do full format Not quick format . start over.