1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 7:59 AM by rsnetto

DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology

mrwoojoo

Hello.

I have had the 975xbx2 for a few years, been a great board. I recently upgraded to a 2600k and the DP67BG board. I am probably what you would call an advanced user.

On my xbx2, the BIOS did not give options really for fan control, but the desktop utility software did (one of those softwares, there were 2, the IDCC and IDU or something like that). Anyway, I was able to stop using SpeedFan when I found the desktop utility could save my fan profiles to the BIOS.

I researched a lot of boards for this purchase, and decided to go with Intel for many reasons, one of which was the fan control in the BIOS. However, it is not doing what I had anticipated from reading the manual/bios pdf files nor from what reviews and screenshots I have seen.

On my xbx2, the CPU, the Front/Rear and the AUX were 3 unique, controllable items. On this DP67BG, it seems much the same, where the CPU, the Front and the Rear/Aux are each a unique item. Speedfan seems to concur this, and does give me control over them, individually.

However, I was hoping to be able to control the fans a little better. So here are the questions.

It appears that the CPU is the only fan that will positively be controlled in an expected fashion. If you disregard the PWM %, and assume that all fan headers will run between 20 and 100%, I find that only the CPU header actually regulates its speed according to the parameters you can use in the BIOS. Those parameters are the temp you wish to maintain, and the temp at which the BIOS should take control of all fans. I read this to say that, for any of the 4 temp readings (CPU, MCH, RAM and VR), the BIOS will attempt to maintain a target temp, and if it goes above the upper limit, then all fans will be employed.

I do not see this happening though. I see the CPU does this, it follows an alogrithm. But what is the algorithm. How much do the different aggresiveness and dampning options come into play? What is the thresholds for the value? If you set CPU to maintain 50 deg, at what point do fans speed up? At 10 deg < setpoint, they begin? At the setpoint, the go to 100%

Further, the high limit, even for CPU, never seems to employ the other fans. I have all good quality PWM fans on my board. The only way I can get the BIOS to raise the speed on the other fans is to go into one of the other temps (MCH, RAM or VR), and set the temp to maintain very close to or below the temps at which those components are going to run at. But they still don't speed up or down on thier own, they just maintain a faster rpm rate.

I have rebooted dozens of times, modifying many of the aspects of the BIOS fan control. Only the CPU fan seems to do what I would expect. The verbage in the BIOS leads me to believe the other fans will also do the same. If I run the stability test, and purposefully set my BIOS values so that the temps and thier settings should force the high limit to be achieved, the fans other than CPU do nothing.

In fact, the MCH, RAM nor VR temp limits, neither maintain or high limit, have any effect at all !

Does anyone know, does the MCH control one fan header specifically unless its high temp limit is reached? The same with the RAM and VR, do they control specific fan headers? Or are they all married together.

Also, is the DP67BG (version B3) supposed to have fan control of each fan header inidividually, or are 2 of them married like they were in the xbx2? What about the different options for each fan header, in reference to what type of fan it is. You can choose CPU, System, Chassis, Inlet, Outlet, MCH, VREG, etc etc etc. But what is this supposed to do? Is it only for my own organization? Or by setting all fans to CPU should they all be controlled by the CPU. Or, is there an alogrithm that changes based on which setting you use?

I realize this is the community support forum. I don't fully expect an official Intel employee to see this and provide answers. I hope that happens. I hope that anyone who knows about this more technical stuff can share some insight with me. Or, at the very least. inform me of how I might get in touch with the right person at Intel who could answer these questions.

I am no fanboy of either camp. I like Intel because they are worth the money for the performance right now, the same as AMD was when they first came out with the Athlon64. I am not devoted to Intel motherboards, as I have used many different brands over the years. But I am devoted to stability, quality and features. Intel makes a lot of great products that IMO are superior to most others, the network adapters being a great example. My last dozen machines I have used or built were based on Intel processors and boards, and I have been very happy. I chose the DP67BG due to this experience and what it offers. If the fan control is limited to the CPU only in the BIOS, then I feel a bit misled. I could have purchased other motherboards that offered more SATA 6 ports, internal USB3 headers, etc etc if I had known one of my major criteria was skewed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MrWoo.

• 1. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
          mechbob

The CPU fan is the only fan that will be controled by temp , question on this board can you Install IDCC , Intel desktop control center ? with that you can control all fans??

• 2. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
            SDouglas
            Robert Gifford wrote:

The CPU fan is the only fan that will be controled by temp

I have the same questions regarding this board and PWM / temp / fan control as the OP.  Your statement about the CPU fan is very definitive.  How do you know?   I've not found this documented anywhere - and I've been looking.  Various BIOS settings and parameters seem to suggest otherwise.  Unfortunately, comprehensive BIOS documentation doesn't seem to be publically available.

I've also had no luck getting answers to these questions from Intel Technical Support.   They have no idea and don't appear to have an internal process in place to find out.  I was told to contact my distributor and ask them to contact an Intel Field Engineer on my behalf.   They offered no additional avenues to pursue when I reminded them I had a retail boxed board purchased from an online retailer. A less than impressive performance for a company of Intel's reputation, size, and stature.

Robert Gifford wrote:

question on this board can you Install IDCC , Intel desktop control center?

The IDCC does not appear to be compatible with any sandy bridge Intel boards. [SOURCE:  Documentation contained in the Intel Download Center for the Intel Desktop Control Center.]

• 3. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
              mechbob

I forget on the 6 series boards It's call the extreme tuning utility . Yes you can control fans with that soft ware .  The CPU has a theraml Diode built in to sense Temp thats how it controls the fan and it also acts as a failsafe so if the CPU gets too hot it shuts down .

• 4. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                mechbob

320835.pdfHope this Pdf helps you understand how it works look on page 92

• 5. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                  SDouglas
                  Robert Gifford wrote:

I forget on the 6 series boards It's call the extreme tuning utility . Yes you can control fans with that soft ware .

Sorry.  The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility offers no ability to control the fans.  On this board it's all done with settings within the BIOS.  It's the lack of detailed documentation specific to the BIOS settings that has the OP coming here looking for answers.

It's still not clear to me how you know that  "the CPU fan is the only fan that will be controlled by temp."  What would preclude the other fan headers from using the CPU temp readings for speed control?   According to the motherboard manual, the DP67BG has:

"Thermally monitored closed-loop fan control, for all onboard fans, that can adjust fan speed."

"All fan headers support closed-loop fan control that can adjust the fan speed or switch the fan on or off as needed."
                  "All fan headers have a +12 V DC connection."
                  "The Desktop Board has a 4-pin processor fan header and three 4-pin chassis fan headers."

[SOURCE:  DP67BG_ProductGuide01_English.pdf, Pages 21 thru 22]

As the OP pointed out, BIOS settings seem to indicate that you can have a lot of control.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  But there's no documentation I've found that proves it either way.  And with such a poorly documented BIOS, it's a trial, error and guessing approach to figure out what's going on.  I feel the OP's pain.  There's some control scenario that the motherboard is implementing because the non-CPU fans are not running full-on.  The motherboard has used some method to choose the rpm for each non-CPU fan.

I know for my particular set-up, at default BIOS settings the fan connected to my CPU (i7-2600K) cooler (Thermalright H-02 w/ Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P 120mm Fan) runs around 210 - 220 rpm.  The BIOS default has a low rpm warning threshold of 250 rpm.  Yet it sets the fan by default to run at 210 - 220 rpm.  That makes no sense to me.  I upped the % min duty cycle from the default of 20% to 25% and now the system runs the fan at about 320 rpm.  I've already ruled out a malfunctioning fan.  It could be the motherboard.  It has other issues so I'm waiting for a new board to arrive and see what's what.

• 6. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                    mrwoojoo

Nice to see some action at all here. More than I expected.

Lets clear a few things up.

The fan headers on xbx2 board that were slaved together were front/rear. The aux was the 3rd controllable option. On that board, you had no options in the BIOS, only by using one of the desktop tools. I don't think it was control center but rather desktop utilities. Anyway, on that board you could set your "zones" in the software, and it would modify the bios according to your settings.

Now, on the dp67bg, it appears that the rear and aux are slaved, leaving the front on its own. At least, if you modify the %pwm on the rear, it also changes the aux %pwm. Further, SpeedFan only shows 3 controllable speeds, and rear/aux move together.

All documentation that I have seen thus far eludes to the fact that the fans are controlled via the BIOS, and makes no mention at all of only the cpu fan changing. I have seen reviews and comments to this fact though.

The thing that really puzzles me is that if you set the PCH/MCH/ICH (I wish they would just stick with one term there), the RAM or the VREG temp seting to one setting, the fans will be at XXX rpm. If you change it, so that the temp to maintain is near the actual temp,the close you get, the faster the fans are. So, we can see that the BIOS does indeed have the ability to modify the fan speeds.

The question is, IMO anyway, if I set the VREG temp to maintain at 70, and the fans spin at the %pwm low (ie. 600rpm), and I modify this value to maintain 50, and on reboot the fans now spin at 1100rpm, there is some algorithm going on. They will spin at 100% if you set the maintain temp to well below where the temps actually lie. For example, my VREG sits at 38 normally, shooting up to a max of about 50 under full load. If I set that sensor to maintain 30, then fans spin at 100%. If I set it to maintain 70, fans spin at 600rpm (which is my low %pwm). If I set it to 50 the fans spin at 1800rpm, if I set it to 40, the fans spin at 1100 rpm. The fans are up to 2400rpm max. Anyhow, one can clearly see that bases on the delta/hysteris/algorithm of the BIOS setting, fans spin at different speeds.

The problem is that not only ist here lack of documentation, but ambiguous terms in the BIOS. What it says indicates what should happen, but it never happens. If I set the VREG to maintain 30 degrees, and I set it to "take control of all system fans" at 35 degrees, and I then stress the system so that the VREG temp (with extreme tuning util and speedfan both matching) goes up to 50 degress, the fans never move, and since the temp is 15 degrees past where it should be, no fans, not even CPU, spin faster.

I updated to 2040 BIOS, but now my MCH is reading 0 degress, where with the 1900 BIOS it was fluxing in the 40's. Stranger still, my buddy and I bought the same mobo and cpu, and on his board (both are B3 versions), the 2040 BIOS shows him MCH temps.

I really hope that intel can either get some real documentation available for this, or it will likely be the last board I get from them for my personal machine. I did not want to have to use SpeedFan to do what the board advertised in its documentation it would do. I could use SpeedFan, and will for a couple years if I have to, but future purchases will be based upon fact, not fiction. Unfortunately, Intel boards might be good, but for enthusiasts, they are not that popular. If I posted this same question about an Asus or Gigabyte board, I could get answers from a half dozen different forums devoted to the dark arts of OC.

Ah well, such is life. Still hoping some Intel techie will note this topic and wonder themselves what the deal is.

MrWoo.

• 7. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                      SDouglas

mrwoojoo wrote:

I updated to 2040 BIOS, but now my MCH is reading 0 degress, where with  the 1900 BIOS it was fluxing in the 40's. Stranger still, my buddy and I  bought the same mobo and cpu, and on his board (both are B3 versions),  the 2040 BIOS shows him MCH temps.

In comparing boards with your buddy, if you haven't already, you should also compare what Intel refers to as the Altered Assembly Number.  Here's how Intel describes it:

"The AA (Altered Assembly) number is a 9-digit Intel part number used to

identify a desktop board and its revision history . . . The numbers

following the letters "AA" can help identify the model and  version of

your Intel Desktop Board."

[SOURCE:  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009008.htm]

For the DP67BG board, the AA number is G10491-xxx, where xxx changes depending upon the version of the board.  For my board, xxx = 305.  For current production run boards, xxx = 306.  Next month, production will cut over to xxx=400.

This doesn't change the fact that your board isn't working properly. It's just another data point for differentiation.  I get MCH temps on my board (xxx =  305, BIOS version 2040.

mrwoojoo wrote:

The problem is that not only ist here lack of documentation, but  ambiguous terms in the BIOS. What it says indicates what should happen,  but it never happens. If I set the VREG to maintain 30 degrees, and I  set it to "take control of all system fans" at 35 degrees, and I then  stress the system so that the VREG temp (with extreme tuning util and  speedfan both matching) goes up to 50 degress, the fans never move, and  since the temp is 15 degrees past where it should be, no fans, not even  CPU, spin faster.

This is a bit different from my experience.  I didn't duplicate what you did exactly.  Here's what I did and the result.

Under default BIOS settings (with ONE EXCEPTION, CPU fan %pwm set to 25 rather than default 20) my fans run as follows:

CPU  ~319 rpm

Inlet ~ 357 rpm

Outlet ~ 669 rpm

Aux -- I'm not using this header, I only have three fans (my GPU is a passively cooled card)

Now with the following deviations from default:

CPU Fan % rpm 25 (as before)

Vreg Temp:  throw a warning @ 30 C  /  maintain @ 30 C  /  take control @ 50 C

My fan readings are as follows:

CPU ~1406 rpm { Fan specs 0 (+200rpm) ~ 1300 rpm(+- 10%) }

Inlet ~ 370 rpm

Outlet ~ 680 rpm

Unlike in your situation, my CPU fan is running full out.

From my limited testing, it appears that the fan / temp responses are as follows:

BIOS Temp Settings AdjustedFan Speeds
                      BIOS Temp Settings
                      CPU Temperature

CPU Fan:  Speed Adjusted

Intlet Fan: No Change

Outlet Fan: No Change

Warning Temp: default

Maintain Temp: 30 C

Full Control Temp: 50 C

RAM Temperature

CPU Fan: No change

Inlet Fan:  Speed Adjusted

Outlet Fan: Speed Adjusted

PCH/MCH/ ICH Temperature

CPU Fan: Speed Adjusted

Inlet Fan:  No Change

Outlet Fan: No Change

Vreg Temperature

CPU Fan: Speed Adjusted

Inlet Fan: No change

Outlet Fan: No change

I've also played around a bit with Full Control and from what limited testing I've done, I think in the control algorithm, that set point DOES NOT apply to all fans, but rather only to those fans that are associated with controlling the particular temp of interest.  For example, it appears that if CPU temps climb, the CPU Fan adjusts speed but no other fans increase speed, regardless of how hot the CPU actually gets.  This surprises me, because I would expect that as the CPU "got into trouble", full control would turn all available fans on at 100%.  Go figure.

mrwoojoo wrote:

I really hope that intel can either get some real documentation  available for this, or it will likely be the last board I get from them  for my personal machine. I did not want to have to use SpeedFan to do  what the board advertised in its documentation it would do. I could use  SpeedFan, and will for a couple years if I have to, but future purchases  will be based upon fact, not fiction. Unfortunately, Intel boards might  be good, but for enthusiasts, they are not that popular. If I posted  this same question about an Asus or Gigabyte board, I could get answers  from a half dozen different forums devoted to the dark arts of OC.

I agree.  I consider the questions we are asking to be simple, straightforward product operational questions.  I'm not trying to do anything exotic or warranty voiding . . . I simply want to understand the capabilities and limitations of the motherboard and it's BIOS.

This is my first Intel branded board and the depth of technical information available and the bench strength of their technical support team is poor (and that's being kind).

I'm waiting for a replacement for my current board which has a litany of other problems.  But I'm leaning more and more toward tossing in the towel with Intel and moving on to another brand where I have more opportunities and venues to get questions answered (i.e., forums devoted to the dark arts of OC -- or even the ASUS commmunity forums which seem to attract and cultivate a higher level of activity and in-depth technical discussion than the Intel boards).

Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side.

• 8. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                        mrwoojoo

Hmm. It appears that my AA number is the same as yours, AAG10491-305, yet my MCH is now 0 in BIOS or software (bios 2040 and 2023.

I switched to BIOS 2023, and found that when I now set the MCH temp to a working temp and set the max temp to a value that will be met, the CPU fans kick in. They did not do this in 2040. It is useless to use my RAM temp for any purpose, as it never gets above about 38. I tried the VREG temp on both 2023 and 2040, but it raiseed no fans at all.

I will check with my buddy and see what his AA is, Be interesting to see. Of the many reasons I chose this board was that most of the other brands have had a lot of RMA or failures, as indicated by reviews on purchasing sites. Over the last 15 years of building/using computers, I do base some of my purchasing based off others opinions. When I see 10% of purchases giving bad reviews, I chalk it up to user error or just that there will be some lemons in a batch. But when a top of the line board recieves less than 50% "good or great" reviews, I start to wonder. That is what I have seen with most other boards I was looking at. It is a simple trend, but one that has changed over the years. I have experienced my fair share of boards DOA or boards with a short lifespan. One never can tell, but at this point, I seriously question any board right now.

Anywho, thanks for the infos you shared. I appreciate it.

MrWoo.

• 9. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                          mechbob

If you read the PDF I posted , page 92 explains how the thermal diode works it's built into the CPU, and it sends the signal to the motherboard to control the CPU fan speed .

• 10. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                            mrwoojoo

I did read that. While I have a decent amount of experience with script languages, a few full blown programming languages, and lots of windows OS specific knowledge, I am not able to acsertain how that register information can help me. I do understand how it uses different bits of info to trigger events, like increasing RPM to a fan.

I found today after talking to my buddy, that he also has the same AA as I do. Further, his experiences are different from mine.

For starters, he flashed to v2053, from 1900, and had stabiility issues. He performed a USB recovery to v2040 BIOS. I have only flashed to v2040 and then downgraded to v2023.

He sees his MCH temp climb to 50 deg plus, whereas mine has shown 0 always in 2040 and 2023. He is using 2040. That is one difference. I will flash to 2053 tongiht, and then if needed recover to 2040 to see what happens. I would have expected this temp reading to be the same on both boards, especially considering the same AA number.

Also, his BIOS routine is different from mine.

In v1900, after post starts, the screen with logo show EB in corner, then move to 67 or 69 I believe. I could hit F2 just after the EB went away, and if I hit it at the right time, the screen would black out for maybe 4 seconds, then the boot process would begin again, and show the beginning post screen with the logos and the option to hit F2/F10/etc. Since I had already hit F2, I needed to do nothing, as after this portion of post was finished, the BIOS would be shown.

In v2040/2023, this action is the same. The BIOS is a bit snappier to navigate in these versions, Also, the logo screen behaves differently. Before, after the EB characters there was about a 1-2 second timespan where you could see the next codes being displayed, and you could time the F2 to get to BIOS. On these new versions, it is very fast, and you must repeatedly press the F2 key to get into BIOS. Too many presses cuase issue, and not pressing at exact right time skips past BIOS to resume post and then boot the OS.

My buddy experiences no second logo screen. When he presses F2 (he also sees the EB characters processed very quickly, making it hard to get F2 applied), his screen blacks out for the same 4 seconds roughly, but then goes directly into the BIOS, whereas mine has to wait at the logo screen again before going to BIOS.

Hopefully by recreating what he did, they boards will behave the same. If they do not, I wonder if there is a problem of some kind.

I did find out a little more about fan control.

If I set my Front fan header to be a PCH type fan, and I set the VREG temp to maintain 30 degrees, and have a max of 35 degress, then the CPU fan will move its speeds up/down for both the CPU temp and the VREG temp. I confirmed this by running a program that uses about 15-20% cpu. The CPU heats up to about 42 deg C, which the CPU fans can maintain at about 1200rpm. The longer I run this, the higher the VREG temp goes. As it passes 30 degrees, the CPU fan increases more and more. It is only when I manually (with SpeedFan) turn on my case fans that the VREG temp starts to decline. I need the case fans for optimum cooling, but I cannot find a configuration yet in the BIOS to make anything but my CPU fan deviate.

You know, it is fine if this is how it is, that the CPU fan is the only thing going to be automated. I really wish an Intel tech would give us the word though that "this is how things work", rather than being left to read the verbage as being pretty clear that all fans can be controlled.

MrWoo.

• 11. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                              SDouglas

Robert Gifford wrote:

If you read the PDF I posted , page 92 explains how the thermal diode  works it's built into the CPU, and it sends the signal to the  motherboard to control the CPU fan speed .

I read it as soon as you posted it.  For the following reasons, I fail to see it's relevance to the DP67BG BIOS and the specific questions being asked.

1.  The document is specific to the Intel i7-900 processors which are LGA 1136 socket processors.  Is this same information a one-to-one mapping over to the i7-2600 processor family and the LGA 1155 socket?

2.  The information contained in this document is a data sheet detailing values for specific processor registers during various states.  There's nothing being explained here for the end user.  Am I looking at the correct document?

3.  How can an end user use any of this information to better understand poorly documented/undocumented  BIOS settings on their board and figure out what setting does what?

So, unfortunately, no, this document was not helpful.

In the past, you've indicated that only the CPU fan is controlled and responds to temperature.  My testing, thus far, does not support your statement as I have seen non-CPU fans respond to changes in memory temperature.  And again, the available BIOS settings, the motherboard manual, and Intel's marketing literature don't support your assertion either.  And what would preclude the motherboard from using that signal from the CPU to control other fans as well?  And if only the CPU fan responds to temperature, why do the other BIOS settings even exist?

From where I sit, it appears that nobody at Intel that is accessible to the general public is capable of answering basic BIOS operational questions.  Here's an example of the kind of basic question that the OP asked when he started this thread:

"What about the different options for each fan header, in reference to  what type of fan it is. You can choose CPU, System, Chassis, Inlet,  Outlet, MCH, VREG, etc etc etc. But what is this supposed to do? Is it  only for my own organization? Or by setting all fans to CPU should they  all be controlled by the CPU. Or, is there an alogrithm that changes  based on which setting you use?"

These are basic, operational questions that Intel should be able to provide documentation for. End user's shouldn't be left guessing or having to conduct their own testing to determine BIOS functionality  -- it should be clearly documented with specifics and it's simply not.  Asking these questions of Intel's own Tech Support team is an exercise in frustration.  They have no idea what the various BIOS setting do or are supposed to do and based on my experience, have no mechanism in place to find out.

• 12. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                                mechbob

I don't Know what kind of case you have , But if you are realy concerned about contrrolling the fans there are serveral co. that Make add on fan controlers . Some of the new cases even have built in controllers , Coursair , 600T , does four fans ,

• 13. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                                  SDouglas

mrwoojoo wrote:

My buddy experiences no second logo screen. When he presses F2 (he also  sees the EB characters processed very quickly, making it hard to get F2  applied), his screen blacks out for the same 4 seconds roughly, but then  goes directly into the BIOS, whereas mine has to wait at the logo  screen again before going to BIOS.

I have also gotten the second logo screen since I built the system.  I thought this odd but never having an Intel branded board and BIOS before, I wondered if it was quirk of the Intel BIOS.  But like you, I checked with a buddy who has the same AA board as mine and he wasn't having the issue -- his goes directly to BIOS.

Intel Tech Support said this is not normal behavior.  Well actually, the first tech person said it was normal.  I then called back two more times.  Both of these technicians said it was not normal.  So I'm going with the majority 3 (buddy + 2 tech support) out of 4.

Issue with my board which is why I RMA'd it and I'm waiting for the replacement:

1.  Does your system respond to F7 BIOS update at POST (you have to enable it to display as a POST option in the BIOS if it's not already)?  Mine almost never does.  In one test it responded 2 times out of 20 attempts.  I have no problems with F2 to enter BIOS and F10 for Boot Manager. I ruled out my keyboard as the cause.

2.  My USB 3.0 ports will freeze when used with USB 2.0 devices.  Everything is fine in BIOS 1900.  But freezing happens in BIOS 2023 and 2040.  You can see my other thread here:  http://communities.intel.com/message/138020#138020

3.  At default BIOS settings the motherboard sets my CPU fan to around 210 rpm.  At the same time, the BIOS setting for the low rpm CPU threshold warning is 250 rpm.  RESULT:  Intel Desktop Utilities continually throws a warning that the CPU fan rpms is too low unless (1) I turn off the warnings, or

(2) go into the BIOS and lower the threshold warning or increase the % min duty for the CPU fan.  I ruled out a defective fan as the cause.  This situation leaves one wondering, is there a problem with the board or the BIOS?  I'll find out when the new board arrives.

mrwoojoo wrote:

For starters, he flashed to v2053, from 1900, and had stabiility issues.  He performed a USB recovery to v2040 BIOS. I have only flashed to v2040  and then downgraded to v2023.

For what it's worth . . . like your buddy, I flashed from 1900 to 2053.  And then I ran into the no video issue that can occur with 2053.  So then I recovered back to 2040 (where I first encountered USB 3.0 ports freezing) to 2023 (USB 3.0 ports still freezing) to 1900 (no USB 3.0 freezing) then back to 2040 where I am now.

• 14. Re: DP67BG - BIOS fan behaviours, understanding terminology
                                    SDouglas

Robert Gifford wrote:

I don't Know what kind of case you have , But if you are realy concerned  about contrrolling the fans there are serveral co. that Make add on fan  controlers . Some of the new cases even have built in controllers ,  Coursair , 600T , does four fans ,

I know you're trying.  My apologies for not being very clear.

While I can't speak for the OP, I don't need to install controllers or buy a new case.  What I'm really concerned with is that the BIOS has a variety of settings for fan control that have little or no documentation.  I'm simply looking for a document or someone at Intel to communicate with that can provide insight into what the various BIOS settings do and what the expected system response should be.

Seems like a straightforward, simple request to me.

1 2 3 Previous Next