6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 1:54 AM by Flying_Kiwi

DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.

Skyler544

Today, after noticing that there was an x over the volume icon in the system tray (operating system windows 7 ultimate x64) along with a mouseover tooltip saying that the audio service was not running, I tried opening the IDT Audio Control Panel. With music playing, I looked through the settings to see if there was any information about whatever the audio service was that wasn't running. I noticed the graphic display of the available audio hookups my PC has to offer, and on a whim plugged in a pair of headphones to the front headphone port. I've had my system for right around a year now, and have never had occasion to try such a thing before. I was surprised to find that it didn't work. I unplugged the headphones and tried plugging them into the microphone port, just to see what would happen. Surprisingly, I heard music through the headphones, but it was very distorted and bizarre sounding. After unplugging the headphones, windows media player crashed, the IDT Audio Control Panel crashed, and sound would no longer come out of my speakers. Furthermore, the x over the volume control was still there, but now the tooltip said that no audio output device is installed. I tried a reboot, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the speakers, I tried system restore (to two different dates, including the oldest available, which was two days ago.), and finally I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device. I have the original driver disc, and the driver from that disc fails to install. The newest driver for my device that is available on the intel driver downloads area of the website reports that the hardware identified is not compatible with the driver I'm trying to install and then closes the installation wizard. Attempting to install the driver in compatibility mode doesn't help either. This is most irksome, as I installed that same driver some time ago and it has worked perfectly up until now. Also, the IDT Audio Control Panel fails to automatically recognize and install my speakers when they are connected, which is something that happened multiple times in the past. There are no audio devices listed as installed anywhere, and in the Device Manager the only clue available is an entry for "High Definition Audio Controller" that has a yellow caution sign with an exclamation mark over it. Attempting to update the driver yields a message saying that the driver installed is up to date. Uninstalling the device does absolutely nothing, because upon reboot it's back. There is no option anywhere that I have been able to find for uninstalling only the driver and not the device. At this point, I've tried everything that I can think of. I consider myself to be fairly computer savvy, but this has me stumped and quite irritated.

• 1. Re: DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.
          Jose_Intel

You could be dealing with a defective audio controller.

I can recommend reloading the operating system to discard a software conflict, and testing the motherboard outside of the chassis to discard grounding.

If you wish to replace the board under our 3-year warranty, please feel free to contact our support department:

Email: rma@mailbox.intel.com

Chat: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=desktop

Phone: 916-377-7000

• 2. Re: DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.
            Flying_Kiwi

Skyler544 wrote:

There is no option anywhere that I have been able to find for uninstalling only the driver and not the device. At this point, I've tried everything that I can think of. I consider myself to be fairly computer savvy, but this has me stumped and quite irritated.

I'm intrigued by what bought these problems on. Was there a windows update that installed prior to the problems cropping up? Had you made any changes to the system just prior to then? Even if you uninstalled a driver for your audio device, when you next booted the PC, Plug and Play would have a driver install for it again (and with the DP45SP that'd be the Microsoft provided High Definition Audio drivers).

I concurr with Jose that at this point a clean OS reinstall (on a freshly partitioned and formatted HDD), although tedious, would be the way to go in order to eliminate any software issues. You also might want to check that all the audio sockets are empty apart from the one (or ones) being used and that the plugs are fully inserted and there is no damage to the speaker cables. Jack retasking may go some way towards explaining why you got sound out of the mic jack so don't be worried about that.

• 3. Re: DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.
              Skyler544

I've  been far too busy to attempt any kind of fix for the past few days. I'll set up a fresh partition and try the second install before I go out and purchase a sound card, and get back to this forum with the results. sorry for the delay

• 4. Re: DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.
                Flying_Kiwi

It'd also be worth unplugging any case front speaker jacks from the motherboard header pins (just in case they're playing a part in this whole problem). There are little switches built into the jacks which can cause problems if they fail. If you test audio with the simplest possible configuration on the fresh OS install, that's the way to go.

• 5. Re: DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.
                  Skyler544

Gents, it looks like the origin of this baffling issue shall remain a mystery. I simply do not have enough time to go through setting up a fresh install when I have one that works perfectly well already. I bought a card from Creative and fixed the problem. Sorry for peaking your interest in a tech problem and then snatching away any hopes of a solution. Some patients just don't survive I guess.

• 6. Re: DP45SG Audio refuses driver installation.
                    Flying_Kiwi

I guess we may have to put it down as one of lifes great unresolved mysteries

When you eventually do need to reinstall the OS for whatever reason (and you WILL need to eventually unless you're the sort who replaces the PC entirely when it starts slowing down due to hard drive 'clutter' (what you get after extended periods of normal usage with installations, updates and software uninstallations having taken place), please consider updating this thread to let us know if you still have the problem. I'm glad the workaround of using a discrete soundcard is getting you by.