1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 4:33 PM by Dago_Intel

ICH8R - can I go from (4x250GB) RAID 5 to (4x1TB) RAID 5? How?

jamesmhebert

Is there any way I can increase the storage cpacity of my 4-drive RAID 5 setup (bult several years back) to increase its storage capacity, while maintaining the intact data?

I've dug through the manuals and searched online, but apparently no one's done this, or shared how to do it, this before.

Can it be done, and if so, how? All I can think of is to replace one drive at a time and have the system attempt to rebuild the data set... but I'm not sure how the system would treat the larger drive, and if I'd end up with 4 huge drives that have been reformatted as if they were 250GB apiece!

Thank you,

James

P.S. This motherboard is an ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard. It has always been great, I'd just like to increase the amount of data I can work with. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131028

• 1. Re: ICH8R - can I go from (4x250GB) RAID 5 to (4x1TB) RAID 5? How?
          Dago_Intel

Hello,

If you want to increase the storage capacity of your system, the only option supported by this Intel I/O controller hub will be creating the RAID since the scratch with the new hard drives.

You are right; if you replace one of the 250 GB HDD with 1TB HDD the RAID structure will recognize 250 GB only.

Since my point of view if you want to use these new hard drives, you should do a back up and create the RAID again.

Thanks,

Dago.