6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 2:26 AM by biff

Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings

biff

Hi,

I have a Intel H67BL board where I cant see the POST screen.

The board is for my HTPC so I installed Windows using my monitor first using DVI.

After the installation, I hooked it up to the TV, but it would never pick up the signal from the HDMI.

I went to the BIOS and changed the primary output to onboard HDMI and secondary to none. Left all the other settings.

Hooked it up to the TV again and still nothing from the HDMI port.

If I plug in the DVI and switch it on, it eventually gets into Windows (with no POST)

HDMI just gets nothing all the time.

Removed the CMOS battery and unplugged the power supply (overnight) and tried again but still no luck.

Is there anything else I can do that will allow me to get back into the BIOS? Thanks

• 1. Re: Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings
          Flying_Kiwi

When hooked up via DVI are you saying the board used to display the POST and BIOS setup screens fine? If so, given you've already tried resetting the board by removing the coin cell etc, try resetting the monitor and or unplug the monitor from the mains and plug that in again. Make sure the TV is NOT plugged in at all when trying this.

• 2. Re: Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings
            biff

Yes, that is correct. I was able to fiddle around in the BIOS before. Only when I made those changes (Primary Video to onboard and secondary to none) did my POST dissappear.

I have done the unplugging of the monitor as well. I had to use my PC monitor so I had to movie it from the one room to the other.

As to your last point, I cant remember (but will try when I get home) is that possibly, I was only able to see windows from the DVI and monitor when the HDMI cable was plugged in. But like I said, will confirm later. It may even be the HDMI port on the TV, but will also check that tonight.

Also I just found this

http://communities.intel.com/thread/20695?wapkw=%28intel+h67%2c+no+post%29

which I will also try. Just downloaded version 125 and will see if it sorted itself out.

• 3. Re: Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings
              biff

ok, looks like the BIOS update worked! Ran version 110 and can now get into the BIOS.  I now have a problem where I can get the onbaord HDMI to work.

Is there software that can confirm if the onboard HDMI is ok?

Tried probly all the configurations in the BIOS to get it to work but nothing.

The only way I can get it to work is if I plug in my PCIe card and use that HDMI port. This does lead me to believe something might be wrong with the port, but I would need to confirm before I RMA. Any ideas? (Trying to connect HDMI to HDMI)

• 4. Re: Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings
                Flying_Kiwi

cliffy wrote:

I now have a problem where I can get the onbaord HDMI to work.

I'm glad the BIOS update fixed your BIOS access issue. The other post you linked to made mention of a Linux dist - are you running Linux on this machine? If the HDMI worked before updating the BIOS, when you flashed the new BIOS, what bits were plugged into the board or connected to the system. If it's anything more than 1 mouse, 1 keyboard and 1 monitor (via the DVI port) and no cards plugged into any slots at all, try flashing again in this minimalist configuration and reset the BIOS to optimal defaults and save out of there straight afterwards. Intel can devise a BIOS flash program to work OK with their board but there are just to many variables possible to guarantee that same flash will work faultlessly with all possible peripherals and devices in the system at the same time. In short, always keep it as simple as possible when flashing BIOS updates.

[EDIT] The other thing to check when using HDMI is that the HDMI Device (eg TV or Monitor) is switched on and connected before powering on the PC. Although HDMI is supposed to be a hot-pluggable arrangement according to the standard, in practice there are sometimes issues when relying on this feature to work.

• 5. Re: Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings
                  biff

Sorry, the link was just a reference as I had the same symptoms. I am running Windows 7 with Intel DH67BL, Core i3 2100, Cideko air keyboard, MS wireless desktop.

The HDMI never worked at all, only the DVI is working. HDMI only works if I insert the video card (Asus GTX550)  on use that HDMI port on the PCIe card.

This quite obviously leads me to believe there is an incorrect setting in the BIOS as the TV and cable is works fine. Problems is as mentioned before, I've tried probly all the combinations (but could have missed one!!).

Does anyone know the correct BIOS settings for using the IGD?

I have set it to IGD with HDMI as primary and DVI as secondary ( and also vice versa) but no luck.

I do have the lastest BIOS updates but if I understand this situation correctly, that would not make a difference? I dont really want to uneccassarily update the BIOS is it is indeed a BIOS setting that will fix this issue.

I have also tried that where I start the:

1. PC with the TV first off  and switch it on

2. TV on, PC off then switch PC on

Inbetween these tests, the TV was unplugged from the wall before each test was done

Anyone got more ideas?

• 6. Re: Intel H67BL: No POST screen after I change some BIOS settings
                    biff

Sadly, untill I can get my paws on another HDMI device/TV, this has been temporarily resolved. The only way I managed to get this working is when I use a the DVI port with a HDMI converter. I got me a GT210 to test with and thats where its is currently plugged in (and working).

Still need to test if this will work with the onboard HDMI, but would still like to know the why part