cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Recovering win7 boot drive on SSD cache disk.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My PC config is as such:

- Windows 7 64bit, AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Intel i7-2600k CPU.

- Western Digital 1TB BLUE SATA III cached (os & data) on a 40GB Intel 320 SSD

It crashed with BSOD recently and when it boot, it goes to Windows Boot Manager (DOS screen), with an error: Windows failed to start....

File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc000000f Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

So I attempt to recover the system with Windows Recovery Disk, which does NOT find any Windows instance!

(I suspect it's because the Intel SRT windows drivers are not loaded at this point?)

At the system command prompt, the "C: Drive" is not found. So I can't use the tools like bootrec.exe to rebuilt my BCD.

Question are:

1) Are there anyway I can load the windows Intel SRT drivers at recovery?

2) How can I recover my boot sector in my case?

Incidently, I boot this PC with ubuntu linux o/s and can see the 1TB file system, however I discover that many of my files are missing at folder levels, especially all my folders in My Media (frequently accessed) are not found. Are they stored in the SSD cache? How can I "flush" them to the HDD now?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Can you check the firmware level and the currrent reported capacity of your ssd?

Did you recently (August-2011) upgrade the firmware to the latest xxxx362 level?

Are you a victim of the so called "8MBbug"?

Please see: http://communities.intel.com/message/135752# 135752 http://communities.intel.com/message/135752# 135752

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As to why I can't see the "C Drive" at the recovery command prompt, is it due to the RAID setup between the SSD and the HDD? The BIOS can detect the RAID Volume as follows when it starts up:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - 10.5.0.1034RAID: ID :1 Volume Nam: Volume_0000 Level: RAID0 (Cache) Strip: 128KB Size: 37.3GB Status: Normal Bootable: No Physical Devices: Port 0: WDC WD10EALX-009 Size: 931.5GB Type: Non-RAID Disk * Accelerated Disk Port 1: INTEL SSDSA2Ct04 Size: 37.2GB Type: Cache Disk(1) What drivers can I load to allow me to view the RAID as a C Drive? Or is this the reason why I can't see it a command prompt?