1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 8, 2011 6:04 AM by Ricardo_Intel RSS

BIOS Recovery on DH57DD

noflies Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

What a nightmare! Wow, I haven't had an experience like this in 20 years. I'll be as brief as possible here in an attempt to help others…because I wouldn't have solved my problem without this community's and Intel's Tech Support on Labor Day, no less. Thanks to Yogesh, Tobias and Richard as well as the literally dozens and dozens support forum posters that had anything to say about BIOS recovery. Before I go on, I should say I've flashed BIOSs on hundreds of motherboards over the last 25 years and have had less than five actually fail on me (all various makes, models and manufacturers).

My issue was flashing BIOS on an Intel DH57DD from version 0601 to 0656 (skipping a version, though I don't think that’s relevant). My hardware includes; NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 8GB Kingston (4x2GB PC3-10700 DDR3), several Western Digital SATA drives, HP DVD1270, Logitech G15/G13 USB keyboards and a Microsoft USB mouse.

What went wrong: I used the Express BIOS update file as I had no previous issues with this method with other Intel motherboards. The flash didn't quite complete after 15-20 mins (process *should* take 2-5 mins according to the documentation). My symptoms were; the system would not boot completely, it continously rebooted, it showed no video and beep codes were <beep><beep>-<pause>-<beep><beep>. This according to other forum posters and Intel documentation indicates a video problem. Right! I had NO VIDEO !! (SUGGESTION to Intel: Add more documentation for those situations with no video). The following is a summary of a 14-18 hour effort to successfully recover my BIOS.

This is what worked for me: (this assumes you have another system capable of downloading files from the Internet and that system can write to a USB Flash drive. Let's call that system the Technician's system. Let's call the system you are trying to recover the BIOS on; the Target system).

PREPARATION (using the Technician's system)

1. You'll need a USB Flash drive (some call this a thumb or a pen drive), Intel later recommended a 2GB drive. I used a 1GB without problems. Do yourself a favor and use a Flash drive with a LED so you can see activity on the flash drive.
  2. Download/print the relevant documentation of your Target system's motherboard, primarily for the location and verification of BIOS CFG jumper settings.
  3. Download/print the BIOS recovery document (just for reference). See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm
  4. Format the Flash drive with the FAT filesystem (Intel says filesystem is irrelevant, I first tried FAT32 without success). Do NOT make the Flash drive bootable.
  5. Download the .BIO "Recovery BIOS Update" file specific to your motherboard.
  6. Copy the .BIO file to the Flash drive. The only file that should be on the Flash drive is the .BIO file. (The filename will be something similar to XXNNNNX.BIO, where X is a letter and N is a digit.).

RECOVERY (all on the Target system)

1. Turn off the power supply on the Target system.
  2. Disconnect AC power cord from the power supply on the Target system.
  3. Remove the case cover(s) from the Target system.
  4. Remove/disconnect *ALL* peripherals from Target system, leaving only motherboard, processor, heatsink, CPU and case fans, RAM and power supply operational. Remove/disconnect hard drives, CD/DVD drives, keyboards, mice, video cards, etc. Disconnect any Ethernet cable too!! (The system WILL try to PXE boot off the Ethernet NIC during this process). If your situation is like mine; I had no video…but I disconnected my monitors anyway, since I had a NVIDIA add-in card. Disconnect your monitor(s) too.
  5. Remove the CMOS battery and allow the system to sit for at least 30-45 mins. This will drain any residual "memory" of the CMOS settings. According to Intel it will take 20 mins. After numerous repeated attempts, I eventually let mine sit for over 4 hours.
  6. After the 30-45 mins or longer, replace the CMOS battery.
  7. Now, just a brief word about the BIOS CFG jumper. The jumper normally sits on pins 1-2. Pins 2-3 are for a "maintenance" mode and when the jumper is totally removed the system is placed in "recovery" mode. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION here. Move the BIOS CFG jumper to pins 2-3. Yes, pins 2-3.
  8. Insert the USB Flash drive. I used the USB0 port typically located on the motherboard rear. According to Intel, any directly connected USB port will work (do NOT use a USB hub. You disconnected ALL peripherals anyway in previous steps, didn't you?!!)
  9. Reconnect AC power cord and turn on power supply switch (and if necessary turn on case power switch).
  10. The system will begin the BIOS recovery process. Allow the system to run through the process for at LEAST 10 mins. During this time, I heard <beep><beep>-<pause>-<beep><beep>. The USB Flash drive will flash on-off followed by solid, followed by more flashing then on solid.
  11. After the 10 mins is up, turn off power on the power supply.
  12. Disconnect the AC power cord.
  13. Remove the BIOS CFG jumper completely.
  14. You'll now repeat the BIOS recovery process…Leave the USB Flash drive in place.
  15. Reconnect AC power cord and turn on power supply switch (and if necessary turn on case power switch).
  16. Allow the system to run through the process for ANOTHER 10 mins. During the second run through, I did NOT hear any beeps. The USB Flash drive will flash on-off followed by solid, followed by more flashing then on solid.
  17. After the 10 mins is up, turn off power on the power supply.
  18. Disconnect the AC power cord.
  19. Remove the USB Flash drive.
  20. Replace the BIOS CFG jumper to the normal position on pins 1-2.
  21. Connect the monitor(s) and keyboard. Leave all other components disconnected for the moment.
  22. Reconnect AC power cord and turn on power supply switch (and if necessary turn on case power switch).
  23. You should now have a bootable system (with no other peripherals attached, including a boot device) with video and keyboard access. You can change any BIOS settings by pressing <F2> during the POST process. Make any desired changes necessary, save the changes, then reboot and shut down the system.
  24. Turn off the power supply and disconnect the AC power cord.
  25. Reinstall/reconnect all peripherals.
  26. Reconnect the AC power cord and turn on the power supply.

Your system should now be "recovered". It should be noted here, that I had to go back two BIOS versions to get my system bootable again. After which I did NOT attempt to flash BIOS again. However next time, I may try just the recovery process instead of the Express BIOS Update (through Windows). Other forum posters reported issues with running the BIOS update with NVIDA cards installed.

Hope that helps. Thanks again to Intel and all forum posters.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...