11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 9:34 AM by Flying_Kiwi RSS

DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working

SDouglas Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Folks -

I have a new build (Labor Day Weekend 2011):

• DP67BG Motherboard (BOXDP67BGB3   305 Series)
  • i7 2600K CPU
  • Antec CP-850 Power Supply
  • 16 GB Kingston Valueram Memory (4 x 4)
  • Asus NVidia GeForce GT430 Video Card
  • I've tried BIOS Versions 1900, 2023, & 2040

Here's the situation:

I just built the system.  Motherboard came with BIOS Version 1900.  System started on first POST.   I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (w/ SP1 and all updates).  I used the Intel Driver Disk that came with the board to install the needed drivers.  Life is good.  No problems.

Since I don't currently have any USB 3.0 devices, I decided to use one of the USB 3.0 ports for the receiver to my Logitech V450 Nano wireless mouse (a USB 2.0 device).  The mouse appeared to be working fine, although I didn't use it very much before . . .

I foolishly decided to update my BIOS  from Ver. 1900 to 2053.  Yup, I ran into the whole video card fiasco but thanks to another thread on this site, I successfully downgraded to Version 2040.

At this point, I think I’m back on track.  I start using the system, reading PDF files, surfing the Intel forums (maybe for 15 minutes or so) when my mouse cursor freezes (NOT the system, just the mouse).  Here are my TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS   . . .

1.      I unplug the mouse receiver from the USB 3.0 port and plug it back in.

RESULT:  Mouse cursor still frozen

2.     I unplug the mouse receiver from the USB 3.0 port and plug it into a USB 2.0 port.

RESULT:  Mouse works.

3.     I plug the mouse receiver back into the USB 3.0 port.

RESULT:  Mouse cursor frozen.

4.     I plug a USB thumb drive into the USB 3.0 port.

RESULT:  The system doesn't recognize that a thumb drive has been plugged in.

5.     I reboot and try again.

RESULT: Both USB 3.0 ports seem to be working again.  Mouse operational and thumb drive recognized.

6.     I continue working.

RESULT:  About 5 minutes later the mouse cursor freezes again.

7.     I plug in a USB Thumb Drive to the other USB 3.0 port.

RESULT:  Thumb drive not recognized.  The USB 3.0 ports appear to be "dead".

8.     I check Device Manager.

RESULT:  Device Manager shows that both the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller and Root Hub are working properly.

9.     In Device Manager, I Disable then Enable the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

RESULT:  The USB 3.0 ports are "alive" again.

10.   I continue working.

RESULT:  and short time later same thing – mouse cursor is frozen.

11.  I update the drivers for the USB 3.0 Controller from Version 2.0.20.0  to Version 2.1.19.0 (the latest available from Intel).   I reboot for good       measure and continue working.

RESULT:  Mouse cursor freezes again after a short period of time --  5 to maybe 10 minutes.

13.  At this point, I thought it may be a BIOS issue so I decided to downgrade from Version 2040 to Version 2023 and do a clean install of Windows 7.  For this install, I again used the drivers on the DVD shipped with the system.

RESULT:  The mouse cursor freezes after a period of time and thumb drives are not recognized.  USB 3.0 ports appear to be dead but continue to show up in Device Manager as "working properly."

Unfortunately, the problem occurs randomly, but generally within about a ½ hour of use.  Still it makes trouble shooting a little tough because until it randomly happens, I don't know if I found "root cause" and fixed it.

The only thing left for me to try is  to downgrade to Version 1900 (the BIOS as shipped) and reinstall Windows 7 and the appropriate drivers from the Intel Driver DVD shipped with the motherboard.  That will do two things:

1.)    return everything to it's "out of the box" condition, and

2.)    verify if the reason I didn't see it happen when I originally setup the system was because I didn't use the system in that state long enough for the USB 3.0 ports to stop working.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Maybe I have a bad USB 3.0 Controller on the board?

Advice, rants, raves, words of encouragement all welcome .  .  . thanks.  I'm trying to determine if I need to RMA this board.

• 1. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working
    Flying_Kiwi Community Member

You're getting this problem when using the Logitech mouse in the USB 3.0 port but what about whether other devices cause such problems? Was the missing step 12 one where you tested the USB 3.0 port with another device eg the Pendrive tranferring files or formatting etc for 1/4 of an hour or so to see if you could generate the same problem?

Is the latest Logitech software installed - there may be a firmware update available for your tranceiver which you won't get unless you have the Logitech software installed. I suspect this is simply down to something your mouse is doing (or not doing) which the USB 3.0 port doesn't like so it's going into some sort of failsafe or sleep mode. I strongly suspect that if you get the board replaced, a replacement will behave exactly the same way. It's best to keep USB 3.0 ports for devices that really need the bandwidth and use USB 2.0 ports for the rest.

How is power management set up in device manager for the USB 3.0 ports - are they going to sleep on the mouse because it's not busy enough? If there's a tickbox option for 'Allow this device to turn off to save power' or similar, what happens if you untick that option reboot and try again?

• 2. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working

Hi Flying_Kiwi -

Thanks for the great questions, suggestions, and interest in my topic.  Here's where things currently stand:

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

You're getting this problem when using the Logitech mouse in the USB 3.0 port but what about whether other devices cause such problems? Was the missing step 12 one where you tested the USB 3.0 port with another device eg the Pendrive tranferring files or formatting etc for 1/4 of an hour or so to see if you could generate the same problem?

I have not yet tried other USB 2.0 devices to see if I can replicate the problem.  All I've done with other devices is post USB 3.0 "failure" is to plug in a USB 2.0 thumb drive and see if it was recognized.  I plan to hook-up a USB 2.0 external hard drive and see if I can generate the same problem.  Good suggestion.

With respect to "missing step 12" -- that's a numbering error due to poor editing on my part.  Sorry about that.

MY ACTION:  Try to see if I can get the USB 3.0 to "fail" with a different USB 2.0 device.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

Is the latest Logitech software installed - there may be a firmware update available for your tranceiver which you won't get unless you have the Logitech software installed. I suspect this is simply down to something your mouse is doing (or not doing) which the USB 3.0 port doesn't like so it's going into some sort of failsafe or sleep mode. I strongly suspect that if you get the board replaced, a replacement will behave exactly the same way. It's best to keep USB 3.0 ports for devices that really need the bandwidth and use USB 2.0 ports for the rest.

I do not have ANY Logitech software installed.  I've been using these mice (I have 4 of them) on various systems for several years on Windows XP, Vista, and Win 7 without ever using the Logitech softeware.  The only difference, and it could be a significant one, is that I'm using a USB 3.0 Port.  Perhaps installing the Logitech software would help.  I'm going to hold off on that until I see if I can replicate the problem with a different USB 2.0 device.

While I don't have a problem with only using the USB 3.0 ports for USB 3.0 devices, since the standard was designed to be backwards compatible, I would expect USB 3.0 ports to work with any and all USB 2.0 devices with no issues.  Having said, I recognize that "glitches" and hardware incompatibilities can and will occur.  My issue at the moment is that I'm not sure I "trust" that my USB 3.0 ports are functioning properly 100% of the time.  This makes me reluctant to use it as my primary means of backup.

MY ACTION:  To avoid introducing too many changes at once, hold off on installing/using the Logitech software until further causes (other non-mouse USB 2.0 & some USB 3.0 devices) are studied and ruled out.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

How is power management set up in device manager for the USB 3.0 ports - are they going to sleep on the mouse because it's not busy enough? If there's a tickbox option for 'Allow this device to turn off to save power' or similar, what happens if you untick that option reboot and try again?

My power management is "Balanced" with default settings.  At the default setting, the "USB selective suspend setting" is enabled.  I'll have to follow-up on this one.  I do know that a reboot alone, is enough to "fix" the problem.  I can say without a doubt that the mouse was more than busy enough.  In other words, the work I was doing consisted of constant mouse use.  So I don't think it's a matter of the USB 3.0 port going into suspend mode.

MY ACTION:  Leave power management settings as is until other causes (other non-mouse USB 2.0 and some USB 3.0 devices) are studied and ruled out.

INTERESTING TWIST  . . .

Since my initial posting, I downgraded my BIOS to Version 1900 and resinstalled Windows 7 (with SP1 and all updates through 9/6/11).  I used the drivers on the DVD that came with the board.  I've been using the computer for several hours now, with the mouse receiver in the USB 3.0 port and have experienced NO FREEZING.

So far here's a summary of my experience:

BIOSUSB 3.0 Driver VerResult

Mouse freezes;

USB 3.0 Ports stop recognizing devices;

USB 3.0 Controller & Hub Working "properly" according to Device Manager

Mouse freezes;

Mouse freezes;

19002.0.20.0No mouse freezing experienced (Yet?)

I'm puzzled.

• 3. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working

I really don't believe you have a faulty board, merely you've experienced a compatibility related glitch that you can get when mixing old and new hardware of differnt standards - the sort of issue you referred to. The number of times I've experienced 'compatibility' issues with so called backwards compatible hardware has taught me such compatibility is not to be relied upon - it's a bonus when it works as it should!

If you have a USB 2.0 external drive - yes give the port a good work out with that as I suspect you'll find that THAT works fine.

As you've not installed the Logitech software you'll not know what I'm referring to re firmware updates. The little transceiver may have out of date firmware and when you install the Logitech software on your system, that allows some transceiver firmware to be automatically updated over the Internet. A little program may open up shortly after installing the software and tell you it's updating your transceivers firmware (along with a little progress bar). That's the sort of thing that happened when I had a Logitech MX5500 Desktop (Keyboard/Mouse combo). If no firmware update is subsequently downloaded and installed, you can always uninstall the software again and go back to native Microsoft drivers.

The power management settings I'm referring to are not accessed through Control Panels Power Options but are accessible through Control Panels Device Manager on the USB Root Hubs Properties -> Power Management Tab - see the attached screen shot from my (USB 2.0 only) system as an example. Try with the circled box unticked on whichever hub your mouse goes through. Although you may have been moving the mouse at the time of the problem, mouse generated bandwidth will be infinitesimally small compared to what the port is capable of, hence my thoughts about sleep states.

USB Power.jpg

• 4. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working

Thanks again for presenting possible avenues to persue Flying_Kiwi.

When we last left off I had restored my system back to the as shipped BIOS Version 1900.  I used the system the entire day with the Logitech Mouse transceiver on the USB 3.0 port and NO FREEZING.  I also hooked up an external desktop USB 2.0 drive with it's own power supply (a Seagate retail unit not one I made myself).  I copied from that drive to my hard drive over 300GB of data without problems.

I then wanted to test the USB 2.0 external drive under a different BIOS so I upgraded to Version 2040.  Within 20 minutes of using the system under BIOS version 2040 the mouse froze.  I rebooted and then started copying data from my USB 2.0 external drive (attached to the USB 3.0 port) . . . after copying over about 9GB of data (out of 160BG of data) the copying process failed . . . I got an error message for every file that had yet to be copied that the file was no longer in it's current location.  The reason being . . . the USB 3.0 was "dead" -- EXACTLY what happens with the Logitech mouse.  So to recap . . .

• USB 2.0 Mouse and USB 2.0 External Drive work fined under BIOS 1900.
    • USB 2.0 Mouse freezes under any newer version BIOS (tested, verified, and consistently repeatable).
    • USB 2.0 External Drive freezes under BIOS 2040 (tested, verified, and consistently repeatable).  I suspect that this would also be the case under BIOS versions between 1900 and 2040 but I've not tested it.

So at this point I don't see the value in trying to see if Logitech has firmware updates.  I also have external drives that are USB powered but I have not tried them.  From my where I sit, it looks like this "problem" stems from  Intel's implementation of the USB 3.0 ports and/or some change they made in their BIOS.  In the past, I've successfully used USB 3.0 ports to run USB 2.0 devices on Dell laptops without issue.

I have no idea if all the DP67BG boards exhibit this behavior or just mine.

In addtion, I've also discovered that my board ALMOST NEVER (2 out of 20 tries) responds to an F7 at post to update the BIOS.  It ignores my key stroke(s) and boots right into Windows.  I have no problem with F2 for BIOS access or F10 for boot manager.  I even tried a different keyboard thinking my F7 key was flaky.  And yes, I know there are 5 other ways to update the BIOS, but this should work and it almost never does.  That's unacceptable.

Here's another example of something being poorly executed/implemented:  I'm running three PWM fans in my system:

• CPU
    • Chassis Intake
    • Chassis Exhaust

I'm using the BIOS default settings for automatic fan control.  The motherboard does a nice job of keeping my system cool and quiet.  BUT . . . the system runs the CPU fan at around 205 to 220 RPM while implementing a low RPM warning level for that SAME fan of 250 RPM.  This results in constant warnings in Windows from the Intel Desktop Utilities that the Processor Fan has slowed or stopped.  Why would Intel's control algorithm be written in such a way that it establishes a fan speed that is BELOW the low threshold warning it also established?  I manually changed the low threshold warning in the BIOS from 250  to 200 RPM to stop the warnings.   Nevertheless, this implementation seems careless and leaves me scratching my head.  I expect better from Intel.

Per your suggestion re: Power Management Tab . . .  I checked . . . there is no Power Management Tab available for the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 root hubs.  I do have them for the USB 2.0 root hubs but NOT for the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 root hubs.

Again, I appreciate you showing the interest and taking the time to help me out.   I've already RMA'd this board.  I'll see how the new board behaves.  I'll post an update.

• 5. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working

250 RPMs for a CPU fan is far to slow to generate any decent airflow and the extra noise generated by bumping most small fan speeds up to say 500 RPMs is minimal. No wonder Intel Desktop Utlities throws a wobbly, it thinks there's something wrong with your fan because it's going too slow.

It seems as if BIOS REV 1900 works best for your needs but I'm a little concerned about your statement regarding not needing to check if there's newer firmware for the Logitech Transceiver. Unless you completely removed the mouse from the system when testing with the external drive, there's still the possibility that the mouse has interfered and caused problems (even if used on another port at the same time as one of the USB 3.0 ports is being tested with the drive). Firmware updates are commonly released to solve compatibility issues and it strikes me that this is exactly the sort of situation where a firmware update for the mouse transceiver (if available) may come in handy.

The F7 thing at boot is common and my DG45ID behaves the same. Even with Legacy USB mode set in the BIOS, it still takes some time to initiallise the keyboard fully and having a wireless desktop wont help. I have to repeatedly press it around the appropriate time during the boot process - the same with F2 to get into the BIOS setup. If you're expecting this to always (or even mostly) work perfectly with one press at any time when the prompt is on screen, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. A replacement board is unlikely to behave any differently in this regard but these are all good points to put to Intel Tech Support in your RMA email (remember Intel - as a company, don't officially participate in these forums).

• 6. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working
    Flying_Kiwi wrote:

250 RPMs for a CPU fan is far to slow to generate any decent airflow and  the extra noise generated by bumping most small fan speeds up to say  500 RPMs is minimal. No wonder Intel Desktop Utlities throws a wobbly,  it thinks there's something wrong with your fan because it's going too  slow.

I should have mentioned that rpm's in the low 200's is a perfectly acceptable Fan Speed for my set-up.  I'm using a Thermalright H-02 which is designed for 100% passive cooling.  This cooler was originally designed to fanlessly cool the 1st gen i7 chip without issue.  It's been tested and reviewed extensively by many respected sites and is a favorite with the crowd over at Silent PC.  It doesn't come with or need to have a fan at all to keep the CPU very cool.  I happen to have a fan for it because many motherboards (I'm not sure about the DP67BG) won't boot without a fan attached to the header.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

It seems as if BIOS REV 1900 works best for your needs but I'm a little  concerned about your statement regarding not needing to check if there's  newer firmware for the Logitech Transceiver.

BIOS REV 1900 doesn't work best for needs.  It just happens to be the only BIOS version that doesn't cause the USB 3.0 ports to freeze.  When I did my testing with the external hard drive I completely removed the wireless mouse from my system and used a wired USB microsoft mouse (plugged into a USB 2.0 port).  I also subsequently tested with FOUR different USB 2.0 external hard drives, 3 different brands (WD, Seagate, Toshiba)  (2 powered by the USB port and 2 with AC adapters).  Same result.  The USB 3.0 ports on my specific board freeze with USB 2.0 devices when using a BIOS version other than 1900.  I'd love to be able to chalk this up to a simple compatibilty issue between the mouse and the board.  Unfortunately, that's not supported by the facts. That's the basis for my not persuing mouse firmware at this point.  Updated firmware for the mouse transceiver won't help if the behavior occurs with the mouse not connected.   The facts indicate that the mouse played the role of the canary in the coal mine and is not root cause.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

The F7 thing at boot is common and my DG45ID behaves the same. Even with  Legacy USB mode set in the BIOS, it still takes some time to  initiallise the keyboard fully and having a wireless desktop wont help. I  have to repeatedly press it around the appropriate time during the boot  process - the same with F2 to get into the BIOS setup. If you're  expecting this to always (or even mostly) work perfectly with one press  at any time when the prompt is on screen, I'm afraid you'll be  disappointed.

With all due respect, and this may not have been you intent, but I find your comment regarding F7 very condescending.

<BEGIN RANT>

1. I have no problem hitting F2 at the right time to enter the BIOS. 
    2. I have no problem hitting F10 at the right time to enter the boot manager.
    3. If I have the ability to successfully hit F2 and F10 at the right time, then plain logic would suggest that I can hit F7 at the right time.

Assuming plain logic holds, it's rather far fetched to suggest that I'd struggle so much with hitting the F7 key at the appropriate time that I'd only be successful 2 times out of 20.   And, oh yeah,  I'm not just pressing the key once and waiting to see what happens.   This ain't my first rodeo -- I've been getting into BIOS setups and hitting function keys at the right time during PC POSTS since IBM introduced their first PC back in the early 1980s.  It's also a wired keyboard I use not a wireless one.  Trust me, this is not normal, expected, or acceptable system behavior.  There's a problem with the board, at a minimum with responding to F7 at POST.

</END RANT>

My apologies to you Flying_Kiwi, I mean no disrespect.  And, I know you're only trying to help but that statement about the F7 key really ticked me off.

Anyway, I know, for some reason, you don't want this to be a  motherboard issue, but the facts indicate otherwise. I have a new board on the way that should be here Friday from my retailer.  Intel has also offered to replace the board.  Interestingly, the Intel Tech Rep I worked with suggested I wait until they release revision 400 (due out next month) because it will have fewer "issues."  My current board is revision 305. Revision 306 is the one currently shipping out of production.

• 7. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working
    Elemental1 Community Member

Funny that Kiwi would mention the DG45ID as that board and the DP67BG are the only Intel boards I have ever had issues with.

Of course, it's interesting that these are the latest Intel boards I have used.

• 8. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working
    jobes Community Member

Flying_Kiwi, I have a DH67CL board and have RMA'd it also.  My new board is behaving exactly as the previous board with the exact same problem...intermittent mouse freezes.  I have been searching for days since I got my board replaced by Intel and have yet to find an answer to this problem.  It seems there are a lot of people on the internet having this same issue.  I read somewhere that somebody spoke to an intel tech who was able to solve his problem by a setting in bios but he could not remember what it was.  Does anyone from Intel have an answer to this dilemma???????   I have replaced keyboard, mouse, tried different ports, I even bought a pci usb card and the same thing happens on there.  I do NOT think it is software related because during an operating system reinstall the mouse was already started to act jerky.  I suspect the answer lies in the bios.

• 9. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working
    rsnetto Community Member

How about the newer BIOS releases (2161, 2185), do they change anything?

Also, has anyone tested the newer board revisions (-400, -401) ?

• 10. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working
    jsallen Community Member

I have been having mouse pointer freezes and keyboard lockout (num lock key turns off) on a Powerspec G160 computer  with the DP67BG motherboard and an ATI Radeon HD5450 graphics adapter. I found that all the USB ports were set to turn off to save power. I've just changed his and will see whether it fixes the problem. Turn off to save power ought NOT be the default in Windows for a port that is used to connect the keyboard or mouse! What a brain-dead default! But the problem may yet be elsewhere. There are other online discussions indicating that it may be the fault of the graphics adapter. As I write this I'm still getting a "sticky" mouse pointer. Usually it freezes as I move it into a clickable area, and that suggests that the graphics adapter may be the problem. The computer has been taken in for service and repeatedly stress-tested. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. That makes no difference.

• 11. Re: DP67BG - USB 3.0 Ports Intermittently Stop Working

I think you will often find posts from people experiencing problems with bleeding edge boards from the Extreme Series for a number of reasons. They're the boards that are built to extract maximum performance from system components as a priority - this means using ideas and technologies that may not have been developed/tested as thoroughly as with other Intel Series boards. Similarly they have the ability to customise things such as clock rates - customisations which may result in problems when used with other hardware not expecting such variations. They also attract the sorts of customers who are more likely to detect problems (especially minor issues that'd be missed by others) and report issues here. If you wanted to have a board where you didn't see problems (and positives such as performance breakthroughs for that matter) reported online, you'd stay away from the Extreme Series and buy something a little more 'boring'.

You have the advantage since it's a computer that was put together by the supplier as one in their range, that you can say the ball is fair and square in their court to sort it out for you. Bottom line is if it plays up to the point where it's not reliably usable in circumstances where it should be (i.e. try with no overclocking first so it walks reliably before trying to make it run), IF they don't or can't fix it, then look at what your warranty/contract says about returning it for a refund. Good luck dealing with the supplier.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...