5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 2:44 PM by Flying_Kiwi

no video on new DQ45EK

k4techs

I just installed the board in the chassis and it lit up gree.  i turned the power on and the red LED lit up by the serial port header and the fan will spin up.  no video no sound.  i have tried 2 different processos same result.  i have tried plugging the chassis fan into both the CPU and fan headers,  i have tried 2 different monitors with 2 different adapters and a dvi cable  no video.  any ideas?

• 1. Re: no video on new DQ45EK
          Flying_Kiwi

Were either of the monitors DVI capable or did you have to use a DVI -> VGA adapter in each case? If so can you source a DVI capable monitor for testing? Some monitors just dont like being fed through an adapter. What PSU are you using and is it powerful enough for your system? I'm assuming the first thing you did when this first occurred is double check all your connections referring to the manual. Were any beeps produced after turning on the PC (if you wait a short while)?

• 2. Re: no video on new DQ45EK
            k4techs

1 monitor has both dvi and vga and have tried both,  the other is straight vga and have tried 2 different adapters, one that has worked in the past and one that came with the board.  any ideas on the red light?  there were no beeps but the fans powered up but no display.  only the red light near the serial header.

• 3. Re: no video on new DQ45EK
              Flying_Kiwi

k4techs wrote:

1 monitor has both dvi and vga and have tried both,  the other is straight vga and have tried 2 different adapters, one that has worked in the past and one that came with the board.  any ideas on the red light?  there were no beeps but the fans powered up but no display.  only the red light near the serial header.

I'd stick with the DVI capable monitor for now (connected via the DVI-I port/cable - thats the blue one NOT white) and use the monitors reset button to restore the monitor settings to default or turn the monitor off then on again.

As for the red LED, page 19 of the products manual is your friend. Reading the manual FIRST before even unpacking the motherboard out of its box should be the way to go - especially so for those not very experienced with the product as it's easily possible to cause damage if you do things wrongly. The manual also lists all the connections so a double (or triple) check can be made to ensure all the appropriate things are plugged in right. If there are no beeps (at all) that's a worry as usually an Intel board will at least give one beep on booting up. It'd be worth cross checking with the manual.

• 4. Re: no video on new DQ45EK
                k4techs

OK, the product manusl helped.  last time i looked for it i got the quick setup manual which was no help at all.  still having the same problem though no video.  i talked to intel and they had me try a restore of the bios.  the usb ports are powered because i got the light on the stick to blink.  but still no video.  i'll have to chat withthem again.

• 5. Re: no video on new DQ45EK
                  Flying_Kiwi

Be aware that some TFT monitors (particularly old ones) may not display POST or BIOS screens but that when Windows and the graphics drivers finally load, a picture should then appear. This is because those monitors have problems accepting the refresh rate and resolution in place during that stage of the boot process. Does the monitor even come out of powersaving mode with this new PC and does it work fine when connected to other PCs via the DVI port? How did the manual help and are you at least getting a beep now after waiting up to 30 seconds after power on?

By all means chat with Intel again but I suggest that you only do so after double (or triple) checking all your connections thoroughly using the manual.