1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2011 4:49 PM by VipZ RSS

Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue

VipZ Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have recently bought a Intel DH67CF and Corsair Vengeance Low Profile White RAM (2x4gb 1600c9 @ 1.35v). CPU is a i5 2400S.

No matter what I try, I cant use anything other than 1.5v, setting 1.35/1.4/1.5/1.55 etc all stick to 1.5v no matter memory timings or ratio. I have also tested shipping BIOS,125 and 128 all with same result.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    Flying_Kiwi Community Member

What problem is this resulting in? If you load optimum defaults and you're getting memory related problems then get back to the seller who said it'd work with your board and ask to return the memory for a refund - you did check with the seller that it'd work with this board in the way you intended to use it at the time of purchase didn't you?

If its overclocking related, I don't have that board but maybe others with it who've tried can post about their experiences. I note that the board features mention: Support for DDR3 1333/1066 MHz DIMMs so there's nothing about faster memory. What made you think 1600 memory would work with it?

• 2. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    VipZ Community Member

Sorry if I didnt make it clear, I had no intention to run at 1600 as I know the H67 PCH doesnt support this. My only issue is that I set the proposed DDR3 voltage to 1.35v but this doesnt apply.

• 3. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue

I see what you mean now. The RAM does have an SPD frequency of 1333 MHz so that part looks good but it is getting more voltage than it's specified for and that's far from good. You could try to raise a ticket with Intel but they may well say it's unsupported memory though as not even the Corsair Memory configurator suggests it for this board (all the approved modules are 1.5 volts apart from one which runs at 1.6 Volts). I also checked the other way around to see what Intel boards are compatible with 1.35 Volt modules and your model of board didn't come up. I suspect the inoperative memory voltage setting option is in there for other models of board which share the same BIOS version and actually do have the ability to change this limit. What made you think 1.35 Volt modules would be compatible?

Do you have the ability to return these and replace them with something on the compatible list because that's what I'd do. You're paying for speed you're never going to be able to utilise and the overvoltage situation is a serious concern.

• 4. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    VipZ Community Member

Yep thats what I am worried about, the 24/7 overvoltage. While I think it may be ok, I still dont like the idea of it. Before buying this RAM I did research to make sure the board supports 1.35v and has BIOS options for DDR3 voltage which is does and the Corsair is spec'ed at 1.35v I realy dont think there should be any compatability issue here as its simply a setting that the Intel board isnt honoring. The last set of "basic" ram I bought was over 6 years ago and dont plan to start now as I was also planning to use better timmings with this ram at 1333, which I have no issues setting with this board. (7-8-7-24 @ 1T)

There's the SPD of a stick,

Field    Value
    Memory Module Properties   
    Module Name    Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9W
    Serial Number    None
    Module Size    4 GB (2 ranks, 8 banks)
    Module Type    Unbuffered DIMM
    Memory Type    DDR3 SDRAM
    Memory Speed    DDR3-1333 (667 MHz)
    Module Width    64 bit
    Module Voltage    1.5 V
    Error Detection Method    None

Memory Timings   
    @ 666 MHz    9-9-9-24  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 34-107-5-10-5-5  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 592 MHz    8-8-8-22  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 30-95-5-9-5-5  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 518 MHz    7-7-7-19  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 27-83-4-8-4-4  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 444 MHz    6-6-6-16  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 23-72-4-7-4-4  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Extreme Memory Profile   
    Profile Name    Enthusiast (Certified)
    Memory Speed    DDR3-1600 (800 MHz)
    Voltage    1.35 V
    @ 800 MHz    9-9-9-24  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 41-128-2-6-12-6-6  (RC-RFC-CR-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 533 MHz    6-6-6-16  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 27-86-2-4-8-4-4  (RC-RFC-CR-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Memory Module Features   
    Auto Self Refresh    Not Supported
    Extended Temperature Range    Supported
    Extended Temperature Refresh Rate    Not Supported
    On-Die Thermal Sensor Readout    Not Supported

It does show the Module voltage as 1.5v but I dont see any reason why this can be set in BIOS.

• 5. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue

I had a read of the product brief and it does mention: "The Intel Desktop Board DH67CF is designed with a wide range of 1.2 V to 1.8 V memory voltage control to maximize memory DIMM compatibility." So in theory then it should be possible to get it to work OK. I don't know why that module doesn't show this board as being supported on Corsairs own memory configuration tool however. What does Corsair have to say about it?

I've not downloaded or read the product manual, maybe that'll also throw some light on the matter.

• 6. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    VipZ Community Member

Yep, I also read that. I dont see any reason for this not to work, also asked on the Corsair forum, but no official responce. But as the ram is programmed with a 1.5v SPD I dont forsee much issues, just would have been nice to maybe shave 1-2w or so off power consumption. Here's to hoping Intel will give an offical responce to this as it seems like a bug in the BIOS to not accept any voltage changes for ram.

• 7. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue

If you want an official Intel response, here is not the place to try and get one. Use the Intel Tech support system to create a ticket about it and post back here with what happens/what they say. These are just peer-to-peer user forums and although an Intel staff memeber or two may contribute from time to time, they are under no obligation to do so. In the nearly 500 posts I've made I think less than a handfull of replies (maybe 4) from Intel staffmembers have resulted!

• 8. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    VipZ Community Member

Thanks for the info

• 9. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    Nipo Community Member

How did you verify what the voltage was at any given time.

My motherboard can change voltages just fine.

• 10. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    VipZ Community Member

Its quite clear in BIOS, I set the proposed to 1.35v, restart, then in BIOS, it shows 1.35v as proposed, but under active it shows 1.5v and in system monitor it shows 1.48v aprox.

• 11. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    Nipo Community Member

On DH61WW Memory 1.35V. Active shows 1.500. Monitor 1.36V.

1.500 set should be 1.51 in monitor, 1.4500 - 1.46V.

by default Automatic result as if 1.55 is set - 1.57V. if all these result 1.48V in monitor then it's clear.

DH67CF being ITX, probably lacks the circuitry to set different voltage.

Depending on the board revision there is a single 820mF capacitor added for stability with 2 dimm and IntGfx.

• 12. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue

Nipo wrote:

DH67CF being ITX, probably lacks the circuitry to set different voltage.

That's what I initially thought but as mentioned earlier, the downloadable product brief for *this specific board* mentions it supports different DIMM voltages. Are you saying Intel are misadvertising this product???

We really need to hear the outcome of formal enquiries with Intel Tech Support.

• 13. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    Anosh Community Member

From my understanding the motherboard supports a range of voltages just like others have mentioned BUT, and this is where people seem to be confused, only at specified speeds (1066Mhz & 1333Mhz). So in other words the board simply isn't compatible with 1600Mhz memory and therefor your memory runs at 1333mhz where it has a specification of using 1.5v and not 1.35v (which is for 1600Mhz only).

Here you can clearly see that the corsair memory only does 1.35v at 1600Mhz and 1.5v at all other speeds:
    http://www.corsair.com/media/cms/Blog/650D_SilentPC/CPUZ.jpg
    (from this page: http://www.corsair.com/blog/silent-or-close-to-it-a-650d-plus-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-build-log/ )

• 14. Re: Intel DH67CF 1.35v RAM Issue
    VipZ Community Member

Yep, the SPD is set at 1.5v and XMP at 1.35, but this still doesnt explain why the board simply doesnt accept voltage change. The BIOS option is there for exactly this reason in my option, it just doesnt work. I can set it to 1066/1333 without issue and even the timmings between 7-7-7-21@1T or 9-9-9-24@2T without issue. With all the above settings, the voltage setting never works.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...