7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 12:31 PM by vanaalten

BIOS update on headless Intel server

vanaalten

Hi,

I have a small personal server in a closet - headless, so no keyboard, display, mouse, optical drive, floppy drive. Just a box connected to power and network.

The server is running on an Intel DH67CF mainboard (6-series, for Sandy Bridge processors) and has Linux as the operating system.

Question: how do I update the BIOS to the latest version? Intel provides three methods, all three are definitely not very convenient: they all require a display & keyboard connected to the box; some even require a different operating system then what I'm using.

From what I read, there is a Linux tool, Flashrom, that supports a LOT of different mainboard & chips, but no Intel support. Tried it, the DH67CF is not supported by Flashrom. According to a developer, all that is needed is support from Intel to get it running.

So, question to the community here: any suggestions on how to upgrade a BIOS on this system?

Question to Intel: could you please give some support to the Flashrom developers for your mainboards? So far you've done a good job supporting Linux - please continue!