5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 6:13 PM by tedk

Questions about the BMC of SCC

yongjun

Hi.

I've looked at  "sccKit140_UsersGuide", "Howto_Read_VoltageandFrequency_onSCC" and so on about  BMC. What I got these from documents is that the BMC seems to be the system FPGA  connected by PCIe to the MCPC, which is shown in Figure 1 of "SCC_Platform_Overview". Also, the FPGA (BMC) has registers which contain  voltage or current information and "sccBmc -c status" simply reads these values  then prints them out. "sccBmc -c status" is also the same as telnetting into the  BMC and giving command "status".

Assuming  what I understand is right, I have 3 questions.

1. Can I build  some program and somehow run it on BMC, the FPGA?

2. Is there  any source code available of the programs for BMC commands such as  "status"?

3. The  achievable sampling rate of the power consumption through "sccBmc -c status"  seems to be only about 2~3Hz. Can I in any way get a higher rate?

Thank  you.
        • 1. Re: Questions about the BMC of SCC
          tpresche

Hi,

the BMC is the board management controller. It is responsible for e.g. downloading the bitstream

into the FPGA.

1. I do not think that you can change the program that runs on the BMC. I assume it is "hard-coded"

2. yes, http://marcbug.scc-dc.com/svn/repository/trunk/sccKit/sccBmc/

3. I don't know

regards,

Thomas

• 2. Re: Questions about the BMC of SCC
            mwvantol

Indeed, the BMC and the FPGA are not the same. The BMC is basicallly a tiny ARM based embedded system that can bootstrap the whole SCC system by configuring the FPGA (which acts as the chipset for the SCC processor). The BMC runs a very lightweight embedded Linux, I remember that I once logged onto it, but I dont remember how at the moment. In theory you could just cross compile a program for the ARM architecture and run it on the BMC. So the answer to question 1) is 'yes', 2) was already answered, and 3) I also don't know

• 3. Re: Questions about the BMC of SCC
              mwvantol

Just to refresh my memory I had a quick search on the MARC site, and I just found some of the documentation how to get to the BMC. It depends if you have your own SCC system or are working on one of the datacenter machines. When using a datacenter machine, you might want to check with Intel people if they dont mind if you make changes to the BMC.

By default, the BMC is configured at IP 192.168.2.127. You can log into it with the root account using telnet or ssh, where the default password should be 'rlbbmc' for a rockylake board. It uses the USB flash drive that is plugged into the front of the SCC case. It has a 2Gb capacity and is largely unused, so you could easily add custom software on it. Either by shutting the system down and taking the USB drive out and access it on another machine, or by downloading applications to the BMC with tools such as as wget or scp, which are already present.

Some additional useful information is found in these two documents:

How to Install BMC 1.06

How to Set the IP Address of the BMC

Also realize that the BMC is only a very lightweight embedded controller, with a 180 MHz ARMv9 core. For more details on the used embedded platform, according to the reported hardware ID, this is the controller that was used:

http://www.dilnetpc.com/dnp0069.htm

• 4. Re: Questions about the BMC of SCC
                jheld

1. No, the BMC is a closed environment.  It has critical responsibilities and limited capabilities.   We'd risk literal destruction of the processor if it didn't bring up the power supplies properly at boot, for example.

2. No.

3. Yes, see HowToAccessStatusFromSCC.pdf in the documents section http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-6804

• 5. Re: Questions about the BMC of SCC
                  tedk

Here's a photo of the Rocky Lake board showing the locations of the BMC and the FPGA ... for our remote users who don't get to actually see the hardware.