2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 11:34 PM by Doc_SilverCreek

New build. No fans, no beeps.

TheChan

Here are the main components:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

CORSAIR CX600 V2

G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ

When I hit the power switch, the fans on the heatsink and video card twitch, and the LED on the case flashes. Nothing else. I somehow ended up ordering two of the same motherboard, and I've tried both of them. Same thing happens with both of them.

I have an OCZ 600 watt power supply that I tried and it still happens. If I rig the green and black connectors on the Corsair with a paperclip, I can get it to run by itself, but not when connected to the motherboards.

I've checked to make sure all the connections were correct ( 24 pin, 4 pin, CPU fan, etc..) and that the CPU is seated properly. I tried breadboarding both mobos with nothing but the CPU connected.

I figure it's worth mentioning that the box from UPS was squished and some of the packaging inside was squished as well.

I've asked on several other forums and have not received a definitive answer. I'm guessing it's the CPU but I'm not sure if a dead CPU will prevent a motherboard from coming on.

• 1. Re: New build. No fans, no beeps.
          Doc_SilverCreek

Your description best fits a short circuit on a power rail.

It could be a bent CPU pin, or a shorted peripheral like a HDD or DVD drive but a red flag goes up when you say 4 pin power connector.

Many power supplies have a 2x2 (4pin) plug for a video card as well as a 12 v plug for the CPU power.

Both plugs are 12v, however, the 4 pin video is reverse polarity of the CPU plug. .Plugging it into a CPU power socket is a direct 12 short to ground.

Pg 23 of the user manual shows the correct power plug requirements.http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z68a-d3h-b3_e.pdf

Corsair FAQ mentions:

Where’s the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector that I need for my motherboard?

Our power supplies ship with an 8-pin connector that splits in half. Use half of this connector for the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector on your motherboard.

and lists 2- PCIE power connectors which would be wired wrong if you are somehow using one of them.

ATX Connector 1

EPS Connector 1
          PCI-E Connector 2
          4 Pin Peripheral Connector 4

You could try with out the 4 pin connected to see if you get error BEEPS or even try without the CPU installed, but the fans connected.

Most board fans will spin up and then beep or sown other other to indicate you forgot a fairly important piece.

The receiving Box being damage is never a good sign, but if a visual inspection does not show broken pieces on the board or in the box, the packaging is designed to take a lot of hammering.

• 2. Re: New build. No fans, no beeps.
            TheChan

Dude, you are a life saver.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/A_User_Name_That_Isnt_Taken/temp-1472.jpg