9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2011 2:09 PM by aleks_ruma

DH67BL : Many boot problems

aleks_ruma

Hi Intel Community,

I have problems on boot with newer system of DH67BL motherboard. I've installated on a 1 Tb SATA HDD a Gentoo distrib. Most of time, it doesn't want to boot directly to the HDD as it says it cannot find a bootable device, even if the boot order is correctly set in the BIOS settings. When i put a bootable live cd, it boots on this media without problem. The only way to boot on the HDD is to press F10 and select the disk. So i've decided to try to flash my BIOS that i've done with the latest BIOS update (BLH6710H.86A.0125.2011.0705.1517), but there still has problem on boot. Now, sometimes it says « error : "prefix" is not set » and it doesn't boot. The only way to boot directly is to set on BIOS settings the UEFI boot enabled, normal (not advanced) boot order, and not let a bootable cd on the cd drive.

Does anyone can help me to solve the problem ?

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
          Ricardo_Intel

Hi,

Please bear in mind the board has been designed for Windows operating systems not for Linux* distribution OS, so the bootable issue could be related with that. Have you ever tried a different operating system?

Also the problem could be related with correct interaction between the Linux* distrib operating system and the firmware of the board. Now, the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface will help with the correct interaction between both interfaces (operating system interface and board firmware) so we may need to keep this option enable to keep the system booting to the distrib OS. I suggest to check with the main site of Gentoo Linux* for detail information on this matter.

Regards. 

• 2. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
            Flying_Kiwi

Which 1 TB HDD is it that you're using and have you run the diagnostics software from the manufacturer to ascertain if the drive is behaving itself and whether there are any specific tweaks you can use for Linux. Many 'large' drives are now coming from the factory especially set up to maximise storage efficiency in Win 7 but some other OS's don't like this so if your drive is so equipped maybe you'll have to change this aspect. I think it may be Advanced Format that has something to do with things.

• 3. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
              aleks_ruma

Hi,

Firstly many thanks for your answer.

I know it's not the best idea to install a Linux distrib on a Sandy Bridge plateform (lack support especially the IGP support). But what else, this is my choice However, i would probably later try a Windows install, and i don't think this is the fact of installing Linux.

Just for more precision, i've formated my HDD in GPT partitions, maybe this is the reason why i need to enable UEFI boot ? My /boot/ partition is at sda2 (sda1 is swap partition). I have never heard about Advanced Format, thanks for the tip. And FYI, my HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb SATA III ST31000524AS, recently bought, i hope it doesn't have any problem because it's new. The HDD is wired at the sata port 0, the CDROM drive at sata 1. Today, i've tried again, it boots on the HDD well only when there's not another bootable media. When there's a bootable cdrom, it says « error : "prefix" not set » before booting on the cdrom.

• 4. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
                Flying_Kiwi

aleks_ruma wrote:

i've tried again, it boots on the HDD well only when there's not another bootable media. When there's a bootable cdrom, it says « error : "prefix" not set » before booting on the cdrom.

I must have misunderstood your message sorry. If that's what this problem is all about then just change the order of the boot devices in the BIOS to put the CDROM AFTER the boot HDD. When you want to boot from a CDROM/DVDROM again just change it back. The other thing you can do is not leave bootable media in the optical drive and hey presto your problem is also solved. In terms of why you get that 'Prefix not set' error, perhaps there's an option that you need to have your distribution tuned to or configured to or maybe it's just a quirk with this BIOS version and Linux. If it works under both situations (booting from HDD and CDROM/DVDROM) and it's really just a prefix error, which doesn't seem to have other consequences, you can count your lucky stars!

• 5. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
                  aleks_ruma

Flying_Kiwi a écrit:

aleks_ruma wrote:

i've tried again, it boots on the HDD well only when there's not another bootable media. When there's a bootable cdrom, it says « error : "prefix" not set » before booting on the cdrom.

I must have misunderstood your message sorry. If that's what this problem is all about then just change the order of the boot devices in the BIOS to put the CDROM AFTER the boot HDD.

It's all about this. Sorry i was thinking it's obvious i have set the correct order in boot priority. With my previous board, when i set the correct order, booting primarily in HDD and then boot CD/DVD drive if it fails, it has always booted on the HDD even if i have let a bootable cdrom. I know my problem is not not so dramatic but if i can correct this it would be better.

• 6. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
                    Flying_Kiwi

There won't be anything you can do to fix this as it'll be up to the Intel BIOS coding engineers to try and work out a solution. I seem to recall you mentioning you've already flashed the latest BIOS onto your board so I suggest that you formally report this to Intel Tech Support and ask them to raise a ticket to get it looked at. You could also try putting other boot things between the HDD and CDROM - ie don't just make the CDROM drive second on the list but have network/PXE boot and USB boot etc all before the CDROM. It may not be highest on Intels fix priority list (but then on the otherhand if it's a very straightforward coding change required it may be handled quickly) and in the meantime just leave any bootable media out of the optical drive when booting in the future (unless you deliberately want to boot from it of course).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
                      aleks_ruma

Flying_Kiwi a écrit:

There won't be anything you can do to fix this as it'll be up to the Intel BIOS coding engineers to try and work out a solution. I seem to recall you mentioning you've already flashed the latest BIOS onto your board so I suggest that you formally report this to Intel Tech Support and ask them to raise a ticket to get it looked at. You could also try putting other boot things between the HDD and CDROM - ie don't just make the CDROM drive second on the list but have network/PXE boot and USB boot etc all before the CDROM. It may not be highest on Intels fix priority list (but then on the otherhand if it's a very straightforward coding change required it may be handled quickly) and in the meantime just leave any bootable media out of the optical drive when booting in the future (unless you deliberately want to boot from it of course).

Ok, i'll check it out. Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
                        bitbar

I have same problem.

New M\B: WD SATA 2.5TB\4GB Memory\WIN7 PRO X64

Bios was setup to enable uEFI and was updated to ver. BL0125P.BIO

During the installation i converted the drive to GPT.

After and during  the installation the win7 needs some boots. Every boot was failed unless i manualy choose HDD

in the Boot menu (F10).

The M\B dose'nt boot directly from the drive !!!

I tried almost every thing i know:

DISKPART>clean disk

New installation

Fixing bootrec (all 3 steps)

BTW: only if i installed WIN7 x64 on the same drive w\o supporting 2.5TB (no uEFI\GPT) it goes well.(but i can use only part of the drive)

Any news about?

Maybe some soulutions from Intel?

• 9. Re: DH67BL : Many boot problems
                          aleks_ruma

Hi bitbar,

I may have a clue. Since i have many difficulties to install Win 7 on GPT (when everywhere it says it supports without problem...), i convert my disk like a classic MBR HDD (and lost data, need reinstalling Gentoo, plus a mess of partitions to have more than 5 partitions and unsorted... Thanks to Microsoft !). Now i don't encounter this problem. I can't be sure but when i have used gptfdisk (http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/) before install Win 7, it was said that it's a pure GPT disk. When i have accidentally lost my partitions when i've tried the first time to install Win 7, it said it's a GPT disk, but has a MBR protective information. For me, there's some confusion which OS can support GPT partitions and how it supports. Maybe this motherboard has difficulties to boot on GPT disk, despite of an UEFI part Bios.