Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Graphics freezing

idata
Employee

Hi,

I recently purchased an intel i5 2500k processor for a build I did for myself.

After completing the build and installing windows I noticed that sometimes there would be a freeze of the graphics and also sometimes of the sound.

When this occurs a pop-up appears telling me intel graphics accelerator stopped working.

The machine is fully functional in all other respects and all the correct drivers are installed and up to date , I am using integrated graphics so no graphics card attached.

The problem only lasted for a second or 2 initially but now sometimes it needs a system re-start to clear the issue,does anyone else suffer a similar problem or have any clues as to what the solution could be?

Thank you
0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please try the steps below in order to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Update the BIOS of your motherboard.

2. Install the latest Intel HD graphics:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%c2%ae+Core%e2%84%a2+Processors+with+Intel%c2%ae+HD+Graphics+3000/2000&ProdId=3319&LineId=3310&FamilyId=39 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%c2%ae+Core%e2%84%a2+Processors+with+Intel%c2%ae+HD+Graphics+3000/2000&ProdId=3319&LineId=3310&FamilyId=39

If this does not fix the issue, you may try the Graphics driver released by the system manufacturer as well, most of the times these drivers have been customized according with the motherboard specifications.

Thanks,

Dago MC.

idata
Employee

Hi Dago_Intel

thanks for your reply,

as far as I know the BIOS and intel graphics drivers are all up to date.

I ran the intel update utility tool and that told me all the drivers were current and did not offer me any updates.

Likewise on the Asrock site there are no updates for BIOS available for my motherboard and allthough there is a VGA driver update listed on there I have no idea if I have that update as current or if it would be a genuine update for me.

I bought the motherboard,an Asrock Z68 Pro3 version, in the second week of May this year, only just after they were released as a product line.

The problem is definitely progressive and worsens continually.

It's been suggested that I should re-install windows so this is what I will try next.

Again,any idea's or suggestions would be most welcome in helping me to overcome this gremlin.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

You have an Asrock, what Bios version are you using? You need Bios version 1.50 or newer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm on version P1.10

On the Asrock site there are a few but none state they're specifically for graphics,which one should I go for?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3&o=Win764

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Yes that's the right list. Flash 1.50 or 1.60. Important is this one:

-Modify default setting for IGPU voltage.

With the older Bios IGP voltage is too low and might cause freezes- well known issue with Asrock Boards (especially Z68 Boards). You can also manually increase the IGP voltage with your old Bios, should work too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks,

I just increased the igpu voltage with the old bios,will see how it goes now.

Good news.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Guys,

thank you for your help.

It appears to be a voltage problem with the IGPU as having increased voltage to the GPU using the overclocking facility on the mobo has or has appeared to have resolved the problem.I expect an updating of the BIOS will totally clear it up.

I'm unsure who to award the full answer reponse to out of the both of you who replied or even if it is of importance to you so I'm going to give the 4 points to YUPS as his recommendation is the one I'm using now.

Thanks again for your help,

Andrew

0 Kudos