Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

CPU Heatup Error

idata
Employee

Hi Javed,

With reference to my CPU heatup issue "The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event (overheating). Service the unit right away to resolve this.", I applied the thermal compound/paste as you mentioned me. However the computer is still shuting down with the same error, around 6-8 time in last one week . The Intel Active Monitor shows temperature within the green zone at the time of shutdown. Can you please advise what else I need to do?

Kam

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

What are the specs for this server?

If the heatsinks are making proper contact, and you're still getting thermal shutdowns and thermal events in the SEL, try updating the firmware. If you have already performed that step, make sure you're following the guidelines / proper steps with the updates and perform it again as it could possibly be an SDR corruption issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The spec are: Intel Pentium 4, CPU 2.4GHz, 1.2GB RAM, Intel 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

I have not updated the firmware. I would need the guidance/details on the firmware update, if that is required.

I have noticed that the temperature increases up to 53 Deg C when using the ineternet. It remains low on any other applications.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

In order for me to help you with that, I need to know what motherboard it is exactly. It sounds like an Intel D845.

There are a few different places you can look to identify the motherboard :

1) Open the system and look for the Intel printing on the board.

2) Start->Run->dxdiag in windows.System tab usually displays motherboard name.

3) BIOS String (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009015.htm)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I checked the details via option 2:

System Model: D845GBV2 (I did not find this model on page per Option 3 - BIOS String)

BIOS: BIOS date: 02/26/03 9:37:20 Ver: 08.00.08

Another observation: I do not get any audio alarm from Intel Active Monitor before the shutdown. Does this mean that the temeparture still remains below the red zone but the computer shuts down because of any other reason?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I upgraded the BIOS as per the instructions. In BIOS setup it shows the new BIOS version. However, the result is same - shutdowned again with the same Thermal Heatup error message. The temperature still remains well below (~38-42 DegC) in the green zone. Please let me know if anything else I need to do. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the exact same problem Intel desktop board Model # D845GEBV2/D845PESV Please advise for this is a real PROBLEM..

Thank You...................

0 Kudos