The 3rd time, instead of installing the drivers from the Installer DVD, I downloaded all of them from the Intel site - it seems every one was a newer version than was on the DVD. I also updated the BIOS to
Version 0027 - DBZ6810H.86A.0027.2011.0722.1018
(and now I see a post that the BIOS has just been updated again...)
I did not install the USB 3.0 drivers, or the HD Graphics drivers.
It is all working so far. Not sure if the BIOS update fixed the problem or one of the drivers on the DVD had some issue.
Also, I did not set up the Smart Response Technology (SRT) SSD caching yet, though I will as soon as Windows has downloaded all its updates.
Here is the system:
2x4GB Crucial DDR3-1333 RAM
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA HDD
Intel 320 40GB SSD
XFX HD 6950 Graphics card
AeroCool ZeroDBA 650W power supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Chipset Device 184.108.40.2060
Management Engine 220.127.116.117
Network Connection 16.4
RAID RST 10.6.0.1002
Realtek Audio 18.104.22.16810