cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update tool???

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So, I got word of the updated firmware for intel SSD today.

This seems like a good thing as I don't want to brick my 320/160GB!

Trouble is, the tool doesn't appear to work with my system (Gigabyte ep45-ud3r).

I've read the directions and watched the video and followed them both to the very letter.

I've burned a series of ISO discs with different burning programs and tried more than one Optical drive all to no avail.

The system cold-boots (as per the instructions) and the POST screens all flash up for a moment.

But when the system goes to load an OS, all that happens is that the word FreeDOS appears with a blinking cursor immediately behind it.

That's it, and I'm fairly certain that same screen would remain up there all night long were I not to ctrl-alt-del out of it.

I've seen this happen about twenty times now, and believe that I'm wasting my time.

Yes, the drives are all set to AHCI in the BIOS.

Something really does appear to be crashing the FreeDOS proggy, but I have no idea whatsoever as to what that might be.

Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

ZStan
New Contributor II

leave only ssd and dvd connected... try different sata ports if you have addon sata port chip..

yellow sata ports should be intel and pink should be marvel or something... so use intel ports

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Change your SATA mode (in BIOS) to Compatible and try again...?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The system-board CMOS settings really don'a allow for that. Rather I've got the following options for SATA:

Disabled

AHCI

RAID

That's it for this implementation of the intel P45 chipset.

At this point, I'm having a hard time believing that the intel solution isn't fundamentally flawed, being rather a sort of CYA solution that won't work with a lot of motherboards.

BTW, the mobo has an Award BIOS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I guess your best bet would be to take the SSD out (of your current motherboard)

and into another motherboard to update the firmware on the SSD.

I heard/read somewhere that nVidia chipsets are not recommended.