12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 11:16 AM by costab

Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed

WildfireX

Good afternoon. I installed this drive into your laptop Lenovo B560 and saw much reduced rate. Install all the drivers from the official site. AHCI mode is enabled. Tested the drive program CrystalDiskMark and saw the following results
      seq read 218mb/s seq write 94mb/s
      4K read 15mb/s    4K write 23mb/s
      After installing the drive in a desktop computer has the following results
      seq read 272mb/s seq write 96mb/s
      4K read 30mb/s 4K write 63mb/s
      What could be the reason for this slowing down? Thank you.
      PS. Sorry for my English.

• 1. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
          L10090

WildfireX wrote:

Good afternoon. I installed this drive into our laptop Lenovo B560 and saw much reduced rate. Install all the drivers from the official site. AHCI mode is enabled. Tested the drive program CrystalDiskMark and saw the following results
          seq read 218mb/s seq write 94mb/s
          4K read 15mb/s    4K write 23mb/s
          After installing the drive in a desktop computer has the following results
          seq read 272mb/s seq write 96mb/s
          4K read 30mb/s 4K write 63mb/s
          What could be the reason for this slowing down? Thank you.
          PS. Sorry for my English.

I experience similar 4K reads/writes in a Lenovo X201i (Intel Core i3-M330-2.13Ghz) on new installed 320 SSD 80GB (firmware 4PC10362).

AHCI enabled, all latest Lenovo and W7-32bit SW/drivers installed, CrystalDiskMark3.01b shows:

4k reads  -> 14.9MB/sec

4K writes -> 23.2MB/sec

I am interrested to know what, in a Notebook infrastructure, the variables are that can case this decrease in 4K Reads/Writes compared to a Desktop or other PC.

• 2. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
            DuckieHo

WildfireX, what storage controller is being used in the desktop test?

• 3. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
              WildfireX

DuckieHo, the test drive, I used the controller motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD3P

• 4. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                costab

I have the same problem on macbook pro 2011 (feb). See this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35370420/as-ssd-bench%20INTEL%20SSDSA2CW60%207.25.2011%205-34-48%20PM.png

I tried to contact Intel support but they are completely useless.

The interesting thing is that when I boot on OSx the drive feels a lot faster, as a matter of fact the booting time is just a few seconds. So I suspect there must be some setting under windows.

• 5. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                  WildfireX

Today, booted in safe mode (laptop) and found the following results
                  seq read 268 seq write 98
                  4K read 26    4K write 58
                  The problem in the drivers? I tried the last 2 versions of Intel RST, but to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers from Intel, but the expected result is not found. After disabling the majority of Windows speed in normal mode and not increased. I think that is the problem of drivers or other software.

• 6. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                    L10090

'SAFE Mode' on my Lenovo X201i netbook: Intel Core  i3-M330-2.13Ghz, 4GB memory, 320 SSD 80GB (firmware 4PC10362),
                    Intel 5 series 6 SATA AHCI enabled, latest Lenovo and W7-32bit SW/drivers installed:

CrystalDiskMark3.01b shows:

4k reads  -> 14.9MB/s ('Normal mode') --> 18.2MB/s ('Safe mode', no network)

4K writes -> 23.2MB/s ('Normal mode') --> 34.2MB/s ('Safe mode', no network)

Could it be that in 'Safe mode' there is more cpu power available for CristalDiskMark3.01b than in 'Normal mode'?

• 7. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                      costab

Here are the times that I am seeing in safe mode (with networking):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35370420/as-ssd-bench%20INTEL%20SSDSA2CW60%208.27.2011%209-32-3.png

Normal mode(4k):

Read: 12.80MB/s

Write: 19.25MB/s

Safe mode (4k):

Read: 17.02MB/s

Write: 26.64MB/s

The speed that I am seeing is even worse than yours, but to get a better speed in safe mode is kind of counter-intuitive.

I would really like to know wtf is going on. I am using the intel drivers and I didn't upgrade to the latest firmware.

• 8. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                        L10090

What kind of processor does your "macbook pro 2011" have?

I am wondering if processing capacity is limiting the amount of 4K non overlapped/non queued Read/Write I/O operations that could be generated.

I think this 4K single R/W part of the CristalDiskMark3.01b benchmark is mainly a single thread task.

My Intel i3-M330-2.13Ghz processor has 2 physical engines with hyper-threading and so 2x2=4 processing threads.

During the non-overlapped 4K R/W benchmark run the W7 Task Manager shows a processor load of  23-30%.

IMHO this means that out of the 4 processor threads one thread is fully utilized and cannot do more work.

• 9. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                          mralpha

I assume you have Windows and programs installed on the SSD. Then seeing these kinds or results are exactly what you would expect, and is not in any way a sign that anything is wrong with the SSD or the setup. Windows and the programs are using the SSDs at the same time as the benchmark is running. This will naturally result in lower numbers in the benchmark. When you boot into safe mode most programs and services aren't started so there are fewer things using the SSD while the benchmark is run, and so you get higher numbers.

The drop in performance from when the SSD was new is also perfectly normal. Part is that SSD perform better when in a completely clean state and the performance then drop a bit as the SSD settles in. The other part is probably that you usually end up with more stuff running over time as you install additional programs on Windows.

The only way to really get reliable benchmarking number is to put the SSD as a secondary drive in another machine so that nothing is using the SSD while it is being benchmarked. Even so Crystal Disk Mark and AS SSD aren’t that accurate a benchmark, and you should always take the number with a grain of salt, and remember to consider an interval of plus/minus 10 percent.

• 10. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                            WildfireX

Using msconfig I disabled most of the services and programs, even more than in safe mode. The result is not achieved. I will contact Lenovo on this issue. Also, on my drive from 74Gb left no visible system 5GB, 50GB free. You can try to raise a support system bus using SetFSB, but I do not think it will give the result.

• 11. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                              costab
                              What kind of processor does your "macbook pro 2011" have?

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

• 12. Re: Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed
                                costab

mralpha:

It makes sense to me what you say. If you run the sysinternals process monitor there is a lot of file/registry activity going on. The OS doesn't stand still. And, I use the SSD as my main drive.

Still, if you look at my numbers there is roughly a 40% increase in speed for reads between normal mode and safe mode. Is all the software & drivers that run in normal mode but don't run in safe mode affecting the speed to this degree?