Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Brand new Install - Core i5 2500K cannot install video driver

idata
Employee

I am building a new system and having problems right after installing the Intel video driver.

Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 moterboard

Core i5 2500K (Intel HD 3000 video)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Hitachi 640 GB SATA HDD (laptop drive)

USB DVD-R/W drive (LiteOn)

So far, I would install all the drivers, and Windows would just not boot up correctly. I narrowed it down to the video driver.

Seems that after installing the video driver, I would be staring at a black screen with a mouse cursor (I can move mouse cursor).

It doesn't matter what version of the driver I install. I tried the one that came on the CD, Gigabyte's website, Intel's website (both the March and April one - April being the latest version). All produce the same thing (thank goodness for System Restore).

Right now, I have to stick with running with the Standard VGA driver.

I am currently using the VGA port. I plan on using the HDMI port since this will become my Windows Media Center HTPC.

Any help would be appricated. Otherwise, I will be returning everything.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

I also tried installing all the updates including SP1. Again, the video would bomb if I install the video driver on the next reboot. The Microsoft driver that comes from their Windows Update would also causenthe same problem. Could it be a faulty APU?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't think that it is any fault on the motherboard. I have the same problems and reading all the posts its a driver problem. Since Robert_U closed down a post on this subject on august 9, there is no response anymore from Intel on this subject. It is not clear if Intel is still working on the subject; disappointing. Hope that Robert_U can tell us a little bit more.

I send my board back to the retail seller, who tested the board. Got it back, the board is working correctly acc. their tests. I specifically asked if they loaded all the drivers; they told me they did. They claim that it could also my monitor or TV, which causes the problem. I very much doubt that now, but can not exclude this. Anyway, if you sent the board back be sure to make a clear agreement how they will test it; better still, be present during testing if possible.

/message/118799# 118799

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Could be also a faulty integrated graphics unit on the CPU, difficult to say.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was able to reproduce the problem to the tech at Fry's Electronics. We swapped the CPU with another NIB Core i5 2500K with the same results. I brought my own HDD with a completely updated Windows 7 install sans video driver (using the Standard VGA driver). The tech installed the video driver, and on the next reboot - black screen with a movable mouse cursor.

He convinced me to buy a different board (the Gigabyte board I bought was the last one), and I chose a comparable Asus for $30 more. Of course, they wanted another $10 to do tests at the bench, so I decided to return everything. The deal just didn't turn out to be a deal after paying for two tests and the $30 price difference.

I'll wait until Intel gets their act together before I decide on going forward with this project.

Thanks for all the similar stories. Good to know I'm not alone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, that the nice thing about the internet/communities, just as the song says: You never walk alone.

Maby Intel is aware but won't tell, otherwise I hope that Intel will wake up soon/again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ve likely the same problem with mij i5 2500k on a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard. I ve installed w7 and al the drivers many times this week but the system became very unstable after installing the video driver. He random restarts without warnings or BSOD. Im running the latest bios (f8) and the latest firmware for mij SSD Agility 3 (2.11).

With the W7 VGA-driver the system is working ok. I now will try an PCIe videocard to see what happens.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have installed now a ASUS HD6450 videocard. Works fine, but I had to deactivate the intel driver in the control panel. Otherwise the system craches.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ve tried everything for a week now. (I build the system a week ago with all new components) Sleepless nights. Now i ve installed my old Geforce 8600GTS and the system works perfectly. I m running burn in test for one hour now and nothings stops the system anymore.

But i ve designed my system to work with the onboard video. I dont know what to do. RMA or better drivers?

System:

MB: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

Proc. : i5 2500K

Cooler: Shuriken Rev B

Mem: Corsair Vegeance memory

SSD: Agility 3

HDD: WD 320 GB

PSU : Zalman 500-HP

Case: CM Enforcer Storm

I ll wait for the real solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the Intel driver active or did you have to disable it?

@Yups

Indeed it could be the GPU. But how can you check that. I don't have spare processors laying around. Is there a piece of software which one can run? On the otherhand, when I disable all video drivers, remove the separate video card and run the system with the standard windows video driver, it works. Is the GPU in such a case not operating? Is the CPU part of the processor than taken care of the video?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

With my old Geforce Card all is working well. But now i ve the onboard enabled again and init it first in BIOS. The Intel-driver installs automatic and the onboard works stable for the first time in a week of many many installs. De Geforce is running as well but i plugged in at the onboard video.

Can someone explain whats happening?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What do you mean by : init it first in the BIOS. The Onboard VGA is set to "auto" in my case. The other two settings are" Always enable" and "Enable if ext PEG". Which setting are you using?

Could you desribe exactly in which order you proceed. It looks like that you first removed the Intel driver completely, than set someting in the BIOS, bootup and the Intel driver loaded itself? Which version of the Intel driver is installed?

Did you load the latest BIOS version as well?

If I know how you did it, I can try it with my board as well. I have in principle the same board, only with an intergrated SSD ( Z68XP-UD3-iSSD)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ve the latest bios F8 in my case.

I set back de vga driver (comes with windows) to run without problems with the onboard video.

I installed de Geforce and set the onboard vga tot Enable If No Ext PEG and set de BIOS option 'Init display first' to PCIE x16. After rebooting windows installed the drivers for the geforce and it works fine.

After this i changed the 2 bios values to resp. Always enable and Onboard. Change from output connector to the onboard and start up again. Windows installs the Intel driver (maybe after update) and the onboards works.

I realy don't know why but for me its working now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm such a sucker for the Sandy Bridge. After seeing the low power consumption, I couldn't sleep knowing that awesome was only another trial away. I bought myself an ASRock Z68 Pro3-M and another Core i5 2500K, this time from Microcenter. I bought memory from Newegg this time, but since I can't wait, I'm borrowing some DDR3 from a friend so I could give it another go.

Will report back my findings. I'll even see if I can replicate your process with this mobo.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And what a result? I'm from Russia, but we have same problems(( What kind of real solution this problem? The system works successfull with intel driver with Win 7 32 bit, but not with Win 64 bit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I have tried.

First I took a short cut by just changing the BIOS values to "Onboard" and "Always enabled". Bios version was F2 while the latest BIOS version is F5. Both the Intel driver and the ASUS HD6450 videocard driver were enabled. Monitor connected to the HDMI output of the MB.

The system booted, did not freeze , but the desktop came on screen blurred. Flickering with a lot horizontals stripes and some vertical stripes. One could see the blue W7 screen and the text at the bottom W7 home premium. The system halted there, I could not see any icons. Although not good, it was better than everything I have experienced so far; namely black screens.

Reversed the BIOS settings to "PCIe X16"and "Auto" , disabled the Intel video driver and connected the monitor to the videocard, in order to see the desktop.

Decided that I should update the BIOS and remove the Intel driver (2361). After I removed the driver, I made a disk image of the system for back-up. That takes a while, so I went away. When I came back the image was made, but also a notice on the screen that the HD Intel driver was installed. The desktop was frozen. Windows, I suppose search automatically for and installed an Intel driver. Reset the system and booted up. So far, with Intel driver and the ASUS HD6450 driver enabled the system would immediately crash. Now, the system booted up normally, with the monitor connected to the separate ASUS card.

Looking, under Device manager/display adapters/display driver, to the Intel display driver properties under the tab General it says "No drivers for this device installed". Under the driver tab however it says "Intel – 25-03-2011- 8.15.10.2342-digital signed by MS". That is a version I have not seen before. The display adapter is just called "Video controller" and not Intel HD graphics family .

Updated the BIOS to F5.

I switched to HDMI output of the MB, left the ASUS video card installed, set the BIOS to "Onboard" and "Always enable" and started. The system booted smoothly and showed the desktop. The resolution 1920x1080 was automatically picked and so for the first time in a month I had the video of the HDMI MB output on the monitor.

I updated the driver manually pointing directly to the igdlh64.inf of version 2462. Than the name of the display adapter shows "Intel HD graphics family" and during reboot the system freezes after the windows logo as usual. I located the full version 2342 on the Intel driver site and installed it the normal way. Display adapter name changed to Intel HD graphics family, rebooted and end up with the same blurred screen, stripes etc as before.

I think that the program Intel HD graphics family is the problem not the actual driver as such. As soon as the display adapter gets the name "Intel HD graphics family" the system crashes or freeze, at least in my case.

Every time, with the display adapter named "video controller", after the desktop is up, a warning message is shown which says:" No AMD driver is installed or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Pls install the AMD driver appropriate for your hardware".

Also the sleep / hibernate function is not operable with this display adapter. This functions require probably the Intel HD graphic family program/adapter and the control centre, which I have never seen.

Overall I think it is safe to say that the problem is somewhere in the Intel HD graphic program. Also the default values of the BIOS (namely "PCI"and "Auto") as set by Gigabyte are ill chosen. I think that default should be "Onboard" and "Always enable".

This problem is going on for quite some time now, and I think it is becoming rather embarrassing for Intel. Hope they find the solution quick. For the time being I am returning to the separate video card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I hope that all our effort can be used to solve the problem.

I ve my Geforce installed and still use the onboard video. In this way its working. My Intel-driver (from windows update) is also the version 8.15.10.2342 (25-3-2011). For Windows update this is the latest. At this moment windows 7 don't find updates for this driver. In the device-manager, tab properties, i see "Intel HD Graphics Family'.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, it's been a while. I forgot to come back here to report any findings, but that's actually good news. The reason why I forgot was that everything is workin perfectly now.

It was probably either a bad APU on the CPU or a bad motherboard. Either way, for me, it was not a software issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Glad to learn that your problem is solved. It is indeed a while back, but I am still using the separate videocard. To be honest, I do not have courage to start all over again by installing the latest drivers and trying if they work. Maybe, just maybe I will try again in the future, but as it is now, the mighty entity, such as Intel and/or Gigabyte, has won.

0 Kudos