4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 7:29 AM by BlueSkye

DX48BT2 - How can I create a bootable RAID?

BlueSkye

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to create a bootable RAID drive using the rom bios based Intel Storage Manager.  I am able to create an array using my 4 SATA drives and can set the RAID level to 0, 1, 5 etc., and the drive works fine but the description of the drive was "Bootable" set to "no".  I am unable to figure out how to make the array bootable.  Is it possible to create a bootable RAID drive using the capabilities of the motherboard?  If so, how can I do it?

Thanks much!

BlueSkye

• 1. Re: DX48BT2 - How can I create a bootable RAID?
          mechbob

Are you using the standard SATA connections or the Marvell Raid SATA connections . You will need the latest marvell drivers , still downloadable ,you just have to go to the download center and click discntiued boards . there you can get RST Drivers and the Marvell drivers , I have two of these boards but I chosed to go with a SSD as boot drive 160GB and a WD RE-4 1 TB , for back-up. runs great set upthis way. ,By the way I am running a Xeon X3380 , which Intel said could not be done , So much for how much they know , Gives me a 7.5 with the windows score.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX48BT2 - How can I create a bootable RAID?
            BlueSkye

Hi Robert, are you saying that I need to use the external SATA connectors (I think these are the Marvel ports) to have a bootable RAID?.  I am using the six connectors stacked across the front (opposite of the I/O side) with Port 0 and Port 1 directly under the video card (requiring me to use 90-degree SATA cables to not interfere with the card.  Please tell me I can use the internal connectors to create a bootable RAID.  Then again, maybe I am missing something.  Thanks for the info!

• 3. Re: DX48BT2 - How can I create a bootable RAID?
              mechbob

At the download center you can still get the full product guide ,( about 90 pages )  rember you have to check discuntinued boards   . Unless I was using RAID for storage , I would get a SSD for the BOOT drive , and use the rest for storage. Set up right with the right CPU and 8GB DDR3-1333-10600 ram ,you can benchmark with a Icore 7 750 ,SYS... Man if I were you I would forget about making a Bootable Raid anything thing and get a SSD .

• 4. Re: DX48BT2 - How can I create a bootable RAID?
                BlueSkye

Yup, I hear you about the SSD.  My main computer has got two OCZ 240 SSDs in RAID 0 as the system disk on a DX58 motherboard with the 990 Extreme processor and 24 GB ram.  The DX48 computer is an upgrade for my wife.  Most of my storage is on a QNAP 8 TB NAS.  I was able to locate the manual in the "discontinued" section on the Intel support site but  was unable to determine which internal SATA connectors, if any were for the Marvel controller.  All I could find related to the Marvel controller were the two eSATA connectors on the rear panel I/O headers.  I'm not going to get too worried about it if I can't make a bootable RAID at this point.  Thanks again for the help.