1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 2:04 PM by Jose_Intel

Missing Driver - Intel(R) ICH8 Family SMBus Controller

falldownstumble

I have an HP Mini running Windows 7 x64.  I had to wipe this computer once and when I reinstalled Windows, it couldn't identify a particular device, it just calls the unknown device "Video Controller."  I checked out the Vendor and Device ID numbers here: http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=a012&device_search=Search and it says the device is "Intel(R) ICH8 Family SMBus Controller" (Although that listing does not match my device's exact ID#...)  I googled the heck out of that trying to find a driver, and downloaded at least 5 or 6 different options, including (infinst911autol.exe) but none of them did the trick.  I think that not having this "Video Controller" driver installed is actually affecting performance, so I really need it.

I have also run, by the way, a few different Driver Identification programs, and none found it; as well as Intel's Chipset Identification Utility, which my computer will not open.

Anyone know where I can find the right driver?

Unknown Device Video Controller.JPG

(I posted this in someone else's thread who appeared to have a similar problem, but that person's situation seems a bit different so I thought I'd make my own thread.  Sorry for posting twice.)