4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 10:34 PM by ahmadsaf

Random reboots with Desktop boards DH57DD & DH61DL

ahmadsaf

Hello Everyone ,

I have configured six computers with DH57DD with I3-550 CPU and 2 memory chips of  KVR1333D3N9/2G, 300GB WD SATA drive, Windows 7 Prof, 64 bit. Upgraded the BIOS and installed I drives from Intel site. I let the system do all Windows updates. Two of these computers restart randomly. I have the same problem with a computer with DH61DL and I3-2100 CPU.

Does anyone have helpful tips or comments

ahmad

• 1. Re: Random reboots with Desktop boards DH57DD & DH61DL
          dnickason

I would bet on power issues as the cause of this.  I've seen several instances, but the one that comes to mind is once when an underground power cable near my house had a short.  This cable would arc and cause the PCs to reboot, despite the fact that the power interruption was not sufficient to have any other noticeable effect such as blinking the lights.  Worse than that, it only affected one phase of the power (sorry if that description is bad, I'm not an electrician) so plugging the PCs into a different circuit in the house, the restarts didn't happen.  I put the PCs on a UPS and actually didn't know the cause of the problem for months, until the power company eventually fixed the cable.  That's a long-winded way of saying to get a UPS and see if the problem goes away.

The second thought might be overheating.  That may be somewhat obvious, for example if the room is over 90 degrees F.  But if it's, say, a bad cooling fan, you could see that easily by installing the Intel Desktop Utilities to monitor internal temps.

• 2. Re: Random reboots with Desktop boards DH57DD & DH61DL
            ahmadsaf

Thanks for taking the time. I sold 3 of the same configuration to one of my customers, a doctor office. One of them had the restart issue. We changed the computers around in the office to make sure it did not have any relation to any specific power outlet. We also changed the motherboard, the same happened. Then we changed the case (to eliminate a bad power supply) still it happened. At the moment I have changed the motherboard to a DQ57TM. It seems that it is stable. It has not downloaded all Windows updates yet, I am not sure if Windows updates have anything to do with the problem.

Ahmad

• 3. Re: Random reboots with Desktop boards DH57DD & DH61DL
              dnickason

Depending on settings, Windows Update could cause a reboot, but it seems unlikely that a reboot initiated by WU would appear to be random.  Usually you get several notifications (from the tray icon), time to save your work, etc. before Windows Update restarts the PC. The only exception would be if you configured a group policy to let WU force a restart even if the user is logged on, which seems like it would have been obvious since you would have had to consciously set that configuration.

• 4. Re: Random reboots with Desktop boards DH57DD & DH61DL
                ahmadsaf

The customer is claiming that the system reboots randomly when they are working. Therefore I am assuming that this is not a reboot after a Windows Update. I was concerned that some of unimportant windows updates might create a problem, so that the system becomes unstable.

Ahmad