5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 4:48 PM by Jose_Intel

DZ68DB blue screen after update to 0027 bios (FYI)

dnickason

The first time I tried to update the BIOS from the exe file, it appeared to succeed, and I got a pop-up indicating successful install after the restart. However, Desktop Utilities or booting into the BIOS indicated that it was still on 0014.  The second attempt to update succeeded, but the system would blue screen early in Windows startup (Win7 Ultimate, x64).  It turned out that during the update, the BIOS setting for SATA had changed from RAID to AHCI.  Setting it back to RAID resulted in the system booting normally, so I'm not looking for help, just hoping to save someone else from having to troubleshoot if this happens again. 

• 1. Re: DZ68DB blue screen after update to 0027 bios (FYI)
          Jose_Intel

Certainly, in some cases, the BIOS update can reset the settings from RAID, back to AHCI; which can cause Windows not to start. Changing the option in the BIOS takes care of the problem. Thank you for your input, dnickason.

• 2. Re: DZ68DB blue screen after update to 0027 bios (FYI)
            Hornman120

I had the same problem and configuration, but in my case, after I set the option back to RAID, it still wouldn't boot. Wound up having to reinstall WIndows. Fortunately, I didn't lose any data, just had a major inconvenience.

Two questions

1. Why did the BIOS update indicate a successful update, but not actually install the first time?
            2. Why does it change the SATA setting to AHCI after a successful install?

At the very least, there should be a warning, but in my opinion, the various BIOS options should never be reset as a result of an update.

My configuration was:

DZ68DB Motherboard

i5-2500K CPU

2 1TB disks configured as RAID1

8GB memory

Windows 7 Profesional 64 bit

• 3. Re: DZ68DB blue screen after update to 0027 bios (FYI)
              dnickason

In my opinion, this is a bug in the BIOS update.  With my prior Intel board, I updated the BIOS a number of times without ever having a failure, or having a setting change in the process.  This was the first time I updated a DZ68DB, and you're right, after I wrote my original post, I ended up discovering that all the BIOS settings had reverted to their defaults, not just the RAID.

I very much doubt that Intel deliberately released a BIOS that resets everything to the default settings, but didn't document that on the download page or in the readme or release notes.  So this was either a dumb luck, corner case scenario that only you and I ran into, or a bug.  I'm running a very similar configuration to yours - just SRC instead of RAID 1 - so I'm hard pressed to see how you could blame our hardware or anything specific to our systems.

• 4. Re: DZ68DB blue screen after update to 0027 bios (FYI)
                Hornman120

I agree, I may have sounded a bit harsh, I don't think they did it deliberately. I too have updated Intel Boards in for several years without incurring this "feature"

Oh well, I hope they pick up on it and correct it in a subsequent release.

• 5. Re: DZ68DB blue screen after update to 0027 bios (FYI)
                  Jose_Intel

Thank you for the information, guys. I've forwarded this to the BIOS development team. We expect no problems should appear with newer BIOS versions.