6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 3:44 PM by DannyAves

Toolbox problem

DannyAves

I have a SSDSA2M080G2GC drive in a notebook which is listed as suported by the SSD Toolbox but the Toolbox says 'this tool is not supported on the selected drive' (there is only one drive in the notebook)....what could be the problem?

• 1. Re: Toolbox problem
          GregC

Similar problem here: Intel® SSD 320 Series (300GB, 2.5in, SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC), drive is recognized OK by the tool and drive info and SMART attributes coming out OK. Diagnostic scan passes. Toolbox version is latest 2.0.2.000.

Full story can be found here: http://communities.intel.com/thread/23623

Intel support is clueless.

Greg

• 2. Re: Toolbox problem
            GregC

Actually the proper link for previous events is: http://communities.intel.com/thread/23623

Anf finally I got a resolution: in Device Manager, Storage Controllers, I did an update on the Marvell driver. I yanked it out and replaced by a generic MS "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller". That gave me a few scary popup from Vista, left the Marvell controller in a suspicious state (according to Vista) and produced a buch of entries under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. But one of them is "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" and the Toolbox allows me to run and schedule the optimization!

The system is so fast that my VPN client refuses to connect now. But this would be another story....

Greg

• 3. Re: Toolbox problem
              parsec

Danny,  Greg's fix will work for him and people with Marvell SATA controllers, but I doubt you have one of those in your laptop.  But, his fix might still work for you and others having your problem.  The main thing being done will be the same for you, changing the current driver of your SATA controller to one that is provided by Microsoft in Windows 7 and Vista, called msahci.

BTW, what OS are you using?  Also, do you know if you have an Intel processor in your laptop, or what chipset/SATA controller you have?  Do you need help changing the driver?

• 4. Re: Toolbox problem
                DannyAves

Thanks for the response.

The laptop is a Lenovo U-150  with a 1.3-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). I don't see that driver listed under properties but if you say it comes with Win 7 then it should already be installed. And by the way, TRIM is enabled. My problem is I just want the Toolbox to work.

• 5. Re: Toolbox problem
                  parsec

Which Properties were you looking at, the SSD's or your SATA controller?  The driver we're talking about is used by the SATA controller, not by the SSD/drive itself.

Also, not all drivers are installed by Windows.  Drivers are installed as needed or manually by the user.  The msahci driver will only be automatically installed by Windows if your SATA mode is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

But you'd like a simple answer (who wouldn't) which I don't have because... it's a netbook.  Which means it takes more research into what is actually in it, chipset-wise (Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset, in general, which is good news) but who knows what things have been done in it's BIOS regarding the SATA mode, etc.  Sorry, but netbooks are a pain to track down issues on, and things get technical very quickly.  Plus the flexibility in using other hardware is limited by the basic platform itself.

• 6. Re: Toolbox problem
                    DannyAves

Yes, it lists msahci under details for the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller.