1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 12:25 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Connecting IDE hard drives to DG41WV

rkrpxz

Recently, I purchased an Intel DG41WV motherboard to try and upgrade my old desktop. The old desktop had a dual-boot IDE hard disk with Linux & MS-Windows on it. It also had an IDE DVD burner. To connect these devices to the new motherboard, I purchased a couple of IDE/SATA adapters. But, the BIOS fails to recognize these devices when I boot. I have read a lot of the forums and tried to follow their instructions like setting the jumper on the IDE drives to Master, Slave and in one case, by enabling the Client Select jumper, although I understand that these jumpers have no role to play in a SATA-based system. I would like to avoid buying a new SATA DVD burner and HDD, if possible. I do have a SATA HDD (250GB) that gets recognized correctly, but I would like to use it for data storage rather than as a boot / OS drive.

Can somebody please help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Swaroop Rao

• 1. Re: Connecting IDE hard drives to DG41WV
          Flying_Kiwi

rkrpxz wrote:

I purchased a couple of IDE/SATA adapters. But, the BIOS fails to recognize these devices when I boot.

If adapters designed specifically to allow IDE drives to work with SATA ports do not work with the drives correctly connected through them and the power connected to the drives (and you've read and complied with any configuration instructions for the devices/on the manufacturers website) then the only other suggestion I can think of is to install a PCI adapter card to get you some IDE ports. You'll need a card that permits booting from IDE with its own BIOS - your best bet would be to get the same shop that sells it to you, to install and test it - that way if THATS also not compatible, they can find one that is or at least not charge you for parts which are of no use to you). Short of this you could always sell the IDE devices secondhand and use the money towards SATA devices - this last plan is what I'd do.